Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still looking around, wondering if there's any big problems with any years of these bikes; there aren't many changes through the [97-03] range, understand that outside of the US they may have been sold as new through 06 or 07. I haven't seen anything newer than 03 here.

· Administrator
9,763 Posts
03 is the last state side.
Breaks down as follows
97 98 carbie
99 00 1st gen FI analog dash
01 03 2nd gen FI Digital dash.
FI'S 1st gen can have a issue with the wiring loom ground block. Fix is on the board. They moved the location on second gen so the problem doesn't effect them as much.
Stators can go out more frequently with a stock RR. There is an upgraded RR you can install. Again the board is your friend for info.
The other item would be the CCT. Again check the board.
Otherwise if you do regular maintenance change the oil regularly and they run for a long time.
Oh I've got 216,000 miles on mine. And it's still got the original valve shims and clutch pack in it.

Reactions: Chris09

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Still looking around, wondering if there's any big problems with any years of these bikes; there aren't many changes through the [97-03] range, understand that outside of the US they may have been sold as new through 06 or 07. I haven't seen anything newer than 03 here.
Watch out for poorly done mods esp anything to do with the wiring (e.g. alarm/ immobiliser, parasitic drain from cheap usb ports) as tracing them can be a big moo.

Right switchgear can suffer from dirty contacts (which can lead to odd symptoms but easily sorted by stripping and cleaning).

Fyi some birds may have their linked brakes de-linked by an aftermarket kit… its worth knowing which you are on. Also worth knowing if the rear suspension is original (in need of a service or already rebuilt/ swapped out).

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, seriously appreciated the input, great guys on this site, don't think I sunk down to my knee in this first puddle however, time always tells.
So...
$7,000 Canadian converts to $4,896 Euro or $5,234 US as we speak, which is just keeping everything in context, I could have gone to Mexico or Cuba or slept in some other airport.
2023, one key, who the ____ has one key? Wouldn't you... get a key cut?
"Okay... well, is their any Panniers?..." "Uhmm... what about the second key?..." "There isn't gonna be a second... hey, when you gonna pick the __ bike up?... "
"What are you a __ tourist? Are you __ ___ ? No, you want to go 178 or do you want to take your girl shopping"
Hard to read people sometimes, anyway just a great guy, had lunch and a couple beers, got to meet some of his compadres, in the neighborhood he grew up in, it was really a __ great week end, drove around his neighborhood just a solid guy.
So, I couldn't leave it, a US bike, think I said that already, four thousand miles what else can I say for starters.
New forum for me, can't get a pic in here yet but, all in the fullness of time I suppose.

· Registered
7 Posts
03 is the last state side.
Breaks down as follows
97 98 carbie
99 00 1st gen FI analog dash
01 03 2nd gen FI Digital dash.
FI'S 1st gen can have a issue with the wiring loom ground block. Fix is on the board. They moved the location on second gen so the problem doesn't effect them as much.
Stators can go out more frequently with a stock RR. There is an upgraded RR you can install. Again the board is your friend for info.
The other item would be the CCT. Again check the board.
Otherwise if you do regular maintenance change the oil regularly and they run for a long time.
Oh I've got 216,000 miles on mine. And it's still got the original valve shims and clutch pack in it.
I had this wiring loom issiue( corrosion on the plug connections), I fixed it by just cleaning the plug.

· Registered
733 Posts
correction: initially registered in New York, 2003 model year, not 2023 [when they didn't create anything] . 4,258 less the 5.7 miles in the rain to drive it home, unbelievable. Truth is stranger than fiction View attachment 135159
Hello Fellow Fighter Pilot! Nice find! A bit steep. BUT UNDER 5K? That's AMAZING! This is TRULY A sweet MACHINE! Enjoy the rides!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lower Mainland.
I thought opposite on price; going by what's been around last couple months, I'm pretty sure that three have sold in around the six range, looked at one of them but both, I think were similarly low [under 50,000km / 30,000 miles] exceptional condition. So this says something, overall Dec / Jan in these parts there's ordinarily no buyers; very few bikes sell.
This one has new [Dunlop] tires installed only a few months back, [and 2011 previous tire receipts] service and hand written records, good SMC / rear caliper actuation. Pads calipers look day one. No oxidation, no accessories and the engine is smoother through cold [50F] to operating temperature idle rpm curve than a previous one that I looked at [which only had a slight rpm modulation while cold / high rpm], easy to hold steady through 5,000 rpm on centre stand.
I was not excited at all, don't need it, don't plan on driving it any more than it needs to run, thought I was just out in the rain kicking tires, but it was just too obvious that I will never stand in front of a better one. When I went to get a deposit, the seller thought I wasn't coming back.
I think the Blackbird / ZX11 / ZX14 Hayabusa bikes in this era will appreciate.
My opinion is that when you factor in all associated costs, every bike / car is a net loser unless you're a dreamer. The only question is how much you lose and was it worth it.

· Registered
733 Posts
Lower Mainland.
I thought opposite on price; going by what's been around last couple months, I'm pretty sure that three have sold in around the six range, looked at one of them but both, I think were similarly low [under 50,000km / 30,000 miles] exceptional condition. So this says something, overall Dec / Jan in these parts there's ordinarily no buyers; very few bikes sell.
This one has new [Dunlop] tires installed only a few months back, [and 2011 previous tire receipts] service and hand written records, good SMC / rear caliper actuation. Pads calipers look day one. No oxidation, no accessories and the engine is smoother through cold [50F] to operating temperature idle rpm curve than a previous one that I looked at [which only had a slight rpm modulation while cold / high rpm], easy to hold steady through 5,000 rpm on centre stand.
I was not excited at all, don't need it, don't plan on driving it any more than it needs to run, thought I was just out in the rain kicking tires, but it was just too obvious that I will never stand in front of a better one. When I went to get a deposit, the seller thought I wasn't coming back.
I think the Blackbird / ZX11 / ZX14 Hayabusa bikes in this era will appreciate.
My opinion is that when you factor in all associated costs, every bike / car is a net loser unless you're a dreamer. The only question is how much you lose and was it worth it.
Gotcha. Okay! 50K. My first Bird came from Alberta! Seems like Birds in that area Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatoon tend to be in better condition then those found in the east! Mostlikly due to weather... First bird came at $3500 super clean with 32K KM! With Akro pipes and KnN filter and undertail. Second Bird came from Ontario. No upgraded parts, rusted tank was only real problem. $3200 with 32K! Felt bad about the rusted tank, so gave me back $200 and invited me to stay for supper with him and his wife! Hence why I said it was a bit steep... But like I said in the begining, Gotcha!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Appreciate hearing that, it's all good, especially to know what people in Canada have actually paid for these things, and by the sounds [and more than a few internet searches] a lot less than what I did.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Anybody's guess where it goes from here, might sit for ten years [like it did for two of the three previous owners] or I sell it for $4,500 in April when I learn [call it a guess - probably all three of the previous owners] that I can't stand riding it more than an hour. Guess I could have gone to Mexico for week.
Meanwhile, see what the collector plate people think, whether it meets the 15 yr / discontinued for 5yr eligibility requirement, it's all good jolly fun.

· Registered
733 Posts
Unless yur 9ft tall! These machines are very comfortable! All day kind. However, you can do some simple mods to make it that much more comfortable. I.e. lowered pegs, lower seat, taller handle bars... By the way very nice machine!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just taking a second look through the thread; it doesn't have 50K, more like 6.8K; 6,852 km or 4,258 miles. Who buys what was briefly at least the worlds fastest production motorcycle and doesn't drive it?
Be interesting if a guy could find out; this one has a New York Registration Sticker on the left side of the steering head dated 2,006.
Supporting documents and what I can gather from the seller leads to original buyer might have registered it in New York and puts in around 3,000 miles, sells to a guy in Canada who owns it for ten years, puts tires on it and sells it again. Third buyer owns for ten years. Fourth [my PO] owns for a few months puts tires on, drives another 100 miles or so and sells to me.
I think the only issue with the bike is that it takes up more space in your head than it does in your garage; no one wants to be the first to scratch it.
Would be interesting if a guy could find out who bought it, which dealership it came of so on, maybe the guy is still out there; wouldn't that be something to get a call that the bike you sold twenty years ago only has another 1,000 miles on it.:LOL:
Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive design

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Depends where it goes, and eventually it all does, I believe the production numbers are comparatively low vs the Hayabusa and 14, 03 is last year offered in the US, and [I think] [Honda] is the first [country] [2007 in some places] to be a discontinued model. While they chased the ZX11, and soon after had their asses handed to them by Suzuki, they may be [close to] the LS 70 Chevelle Convertible [Barrett Jackson 1.3 then resold for 0.364 privately two years later] of the motorcycle era, time will tell.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts