Honda CBR XX Forum banner

New o2 sensor finale results.

929 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bikerian 
#1 ·
Hello out there.
Just thought I would do a post on fitting the new o2 sensor.
Bike is 2003 xx3 uk bike 32,500 miles.
2 delkavic 450 cans with baffles removed..
I originally disconnected my o2 because of back fires and surging, but a lot of that down to the previous owners and there crap servicing.
I fitted a o2 eliminater a year ago and was keeping an eye out on my mpg.
The bike was smooth, ran great but I was getting 31-35 uk mpg, usually 33 mpg.
With the cost of fuel going up, I decided to pay the £350 GBP for a new o2 lambda sensor, and see what happens.
I have just changed the oil, fitted new vacuum lines and the o2 sensor.
Test ride was today, I didn't change my riding style, did back roads bit of motorway and stop and go traffic, came back home and did my new mpg calculation.
Now I'm getting 48.6 uk mpg.
I know a few guys were saying you need to power commander it with the o2 delete, but I though I was ok, after all I did disconnect it after 30 mile trip when i bought it, so i didn't know any better, apart from the suspicious 31-35 uk mpg.
So you guy's were right, I was wrong.
My advice would be like every one was telling me, if you disconnect your o2 sensor get it power commanderd, your mpg will be crap.
Or like I did in the end, bite the bullet and spend the £350 on a new o2 sensor, its a few £ more than the initial power commander, but you dont need it dynoed.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Can't live with the quietness of the stock cans lol, good point though.
I'm more than happy though with my new 48 uk mpg, I know you said last year about you mite need to power commander it because your mpg mite suffer other wise.
But me being me thought il be alright, not realising 31-35 uk mpg was crap, it was my first bird, and I had only done something like 40 miles before I disconnected the o2 sensor doh, i didnt give her a chance of a few hundred miles to get a feel for the mpg it was doing
Owell I've learned from it lol.
I do feel a slight surge at low rpm in 30 and 40 mph speed limits, but I mean there so slight I was wonding if it was the crap road surface we have in the northwest of England lol.
I also replaced all the vacuum lines while I was under the tank, and the map vacuum line didnt seem to pushed all the way on.
Shes fine now acting basically the same as before, temp wise fan cutting in and out wise, just that now my mpg is properly up.

#5 ·
:)
I wish it was ohms instead of £.
It has transformed the bike though, I wasnt expecting the big increase in mpg from running it with out one.
It's like have the best of both worlds, steady throttle and crusing it's in closed loop, sipping on fuel, to wot open loop, basically fk you o2 sensor, the pilot whant full power, then back into closed loop when the throttle is steady again, no surging just smooth.
Must be a thing though after 20-30,000 miles or they've been damaged some how they go a bit surging at low revs, but when there new it does make a big difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.