Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Been riding bikes all my life, well since I was four because I couldn't get a bike before that. Had a lot of Hondas, and other weird shit.

Learner bike: Half scale grass track sidecar outfit a mates father had built. Originally a Villiers engine from one of those blue invalid carriages (that used to catch fire a lot. No one wanted to be disabled back then) Replaced with a bantam engine. (Wobbly cam shaft made it impossible to keep alive) And eventually a c50 engine.

Mobylette. Found in a skip, had to let the plug cool every ten minutes or carry a spare plug.

Honda c50 with pushrod engine. Very early version before overhead cam. Off road of course. (named the rocket)

Honda cb200 off road. We had a knobbly tyre, and if you pointed it at the side of a quarry it ate hills. Handled like a pig on roller skates.

Honda cb125. Had about three of these, all bought with bent forks. Knew a guy at Fort Halstead, top secret military base who used to smuggle the fork legs in and straighten them in a gun press. He said it was easy to get them in, down his trouser leg, as they had a bend, but getting them out was much harder.

Honda cb250. Learnt the art of gas flowing heads on this engine.

Honda c90 Managed to get almost 80mph on the flat out of it, gas flowed head, and one cb200 carb, forward facing with big bell mouth. Grey granddad bike that could leave cars (of the time) standing.

Xl125. Xl185. Xl250. One of each, bought in a sorry state, fixed up, ridden off road, and returned to a sorry state over the years. This got me to about 17 years old.

Honda cb550 k. American import. bought (as I discovered later when stopped by the police) off the most notorious criminal in the area. (I hadn't changed the logbook to my name Doh) (named Alice)

Lost my licence, (which I didn't have) for a few years.

Moto Guzzi v50iii Monza. Never knew what handling on rails meant until I got this. Could never go back to the cb550 afterwards cos it was so horrible to ride! (A drunk pig on ice kind of feel) (Named Angelica)

Crashed the Guzzi, rode around in a wheelchair for a long time. Turned the Monza into an insane off road hill climb machine. Big grins.

3 years later, rebuilt Guzzi.

Obviously the Guzzi blew up

XBR500., needed a run-around. One of the most fun bikes I have ever had, thrash it, scratch it, and put another fivers worth of fuel in. (Named Sod. Or sod you bike)

Guzzi v1000. Very rare, super trick engine, dressed as a lemans. (Named Thug)

Obviously the Guzzi blew up.

cbr 1000f needed a shopping bike, put Honda 1000 lowest first into ebay. £600 for the bike, did all of 90mph. Cleaned the carbs, ungummed the slides, transformed into a 150mph shopping bike. Possibly the ugliest bike Honda ever made, nicknames the jelly mould bike at the time, mine was called Slug or The Speed Barge.

vtr1000 sp2. Got to the first wet roundabout, very snatchy throttle, immediately named Oooh you nasty bastard. Sato pipes and power commander transformed the engine into a rorty and well behaved v twin, and its name was shortened to Nasty.

Cbr1100xx Or the new shopping bike as it is currently known. 13000 miles, 1999 bike. I will now strip it, winterise it, stainless bolts throughout, and check everything is as it should be.

I have technically never sold a bike, they have been given away, lent, stolen or I still have them.

·
Super Moderator
12,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum, now that is one of the most comprehensive lists of bikes ever!
My list of bikes would be longer but I bought my first Bird in 2000 and buying other bikes seems to have stopped ....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having thought about it for a while I realised I have left out a whole bunch of rather unusual off road machines, if anyone is interested I will add them to the list.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
More the merrier. Just noticed, VTR SP2, that was on my wish list until they started fetching silly money. Bought my Aprilias instead.

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More the merrier. Just noticed, VTR SP2, that was on my wish list until they started fetching silly money. Bought my Aprilias instead.
Bought mine with 2000 miles on the clock for £4500, then about a week later MCN tipped it as the bike that would be a good investment for the future. Prices went silly, and most of them are now just being polished. Mine has been used winter and summer, and thrashed mercilessly, as Mr Honda intended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts