Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions:

Just finished replacing the front rotors and brake pads, I had the front wheel up on a stand and after all the work was done, everything was torqued down to service manual values and before I squeezed the brake lever to seat the brake pads the wheel turned smoothly and freely.

I lowered the wheel off the stand and squeezed the front brake lever to get the brakes set and then put the wheel back up on the stand.

I can turn the wheel, but it doesn't roll any past being pressed to roll, it is not at all difficult to roll, but stops after pressing it.

Is that normal? Do the pads and rotors just need to meet up over a few miles and wear into each other?

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Where were the rotors from?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Brakes off.............you should be able to wiggle both front brake callipers with hand pressure.

Front brake on........both front brake calipers should be locked on place, unable to wiggle.

Brakes off.........you should be able to wiggle both front calipers again with hand pressure.

Does this happen?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully you've solved your issue. I would also like to know where your rotors came from. They are few and far between for our bikes it seems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments and my apologies for not updating this sooner.

The rotors are a set of new EBC Vee-Rotors from eBay for $138 (for the set). I didn’t need new rotors but could’ve pass up this deal. Looking at EBC’s webpage these are like $220 each……. Yikes. The seller was a parts house that I think must have been staring at these in the stock for years and just wanted to get rid of them. Plus I am trying to get a black / red color scheme on the bike.

As for installation I did not clean up the calipers before my initial install, they were not really dirty and and I was impatient so I said “eeeehhh good enough”…..

Since my post above I did take everything back apart, cleaned the calipers, pistons, clips, etc and ran across some good Dave Moss Tuning videos on YouTube

Removing and Installing Front Wheel

This one got me started then with several other Dave Moss videos all the steps to align the rotors / forks / calipers were laid out. I am kinda surprised the service manual didn’t detail any of this, I guess that fails under OTJ training.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts