Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Australia!
I just fitted 14" Delkovic slip-ons to my Bird which I am really happy with re quality, original look and sound. However, they seem to have impacted the low to mid range response, and caused it to stutter at part throttle. It has a K&N filter too. I assume the flow increase with no Cats means the ECU can;t correct the fuel enough?
Appreciate a PC III or V would be the go, however they seem to be out of stock, plus I have read a few posts re issues with them. Its my daily ride to work, so it needs to be reliable. Thinking of trying a Memjet which I know is a work around, but thinking it might just improve its performance enough.
Any thoughts?
Regards
Jason

·
Super Moderator
12,814 Posts
The 'accepted wisdom' is that you can get away with a filter or exhaust change but not both without PCIII (or similar).
In your position I would fit a paper filter (OE or HIFlo are the only ones I use) and see if your problem goes away. Simple and cheap(ish) check.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 'accepted wisdom' is that you can get away with a filter or exhaust change but not both without PCIII (or similar).
In your position I would fit a paper filter (OE or HIFlo are the only ones I use) and see if your problem goes away. Simple and cheap(ish) check.
Yes, I hear you. I think I know where I need to go in the long run. Putting the standard filter back in would be an interesting test. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
What year is your Bird? If it's a 99 2000 you could switch up to the newer generation. It'll raise the rail pressure and make it a bit richer and covet your hole until you can get a PC. As for PC's depending on the year you have good and bar news. 1st gen's 99 /00 are no longer supported so you'll have to find a used one. If you have the second generation 01 and later then you can opt for the PCV.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year is your Bird? If it's a 99 2000 you could switch up to the newer generation. It'll raise the rail pressure and make it a bit richer and covet your hole until you can get a PC. As for PC's depending on the year you have good and bar news. 1st gen's 99 /00 are no longer supported so you'll have to find a used one. If you have the second generation 01 and later then you can opt for the PCV.
Hello beestoys,
Thanks for the response. My Bird is a 01 Euro version. I have replaced the reg with a 50 PSI version. I have found a PC V and thinking I best buy it. 700 Aus though is a lot of bucks.
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
644 Posts
LoL… never tell the wife about how much you've just spent on the other bird in your life! She just may misunderstand 😂

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hahahah @ "the other bird!" My other bird just reminded me how every time I buy stuff for my "bird" it's always hundreds 😆

·
Registered
263 Posts
Shedspace I have staintune with HIFLO filter and thay work fine together worth a go

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
Yes but it's worth the cost. Now if you have the port in your exhaust header then the next piece of the puzzle is even better. Take a look at this thread it will explain the benefits of the wideband 2 system they offer that piggy backs along with the PCV.

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
a waste of money unless you chuck more money at getting it dyno'd in
Would have to disagree a bit IF you get the wideband you can tune it realtime. Save the dyno cost.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes but it's worth the cost. Now if you have the port in your exhaust header then the next piece of the puzzle is even better. Take a look at this thread it will explain the benefits of the wideband 2 system they offer that piggy backs along with the PCV.
Thanks. Will have a look.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Would have to disagree a bit IF you get the wideband you can tune it realtime. Save the dyno cost.
My XX runs perfect with k&N filter and aftermarket pipes look at something else air leak in the air box, plugs even worth a shot. Your wideband tuning is for experienced tuners or something like race track guys who have open rpm and speed and track time to adjust and fiddle and download. there's a risk of a novice turning the engine into a paperweight

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
By all means do the checks Macka suggests but I'm betting it's off because of the airfilter and pipes. Installing a stock air filter will verify this if your problem goes away.
Then at that point you know if it's induced by your changes or there is something else wrong.
Now If you install the PCV go to thier website and load in there factory corrected table. Then take the bike out and ride it. Then you can verify it was a fueling issue because of the factory setup. Betting it is.
Now if you get the wideband system you download an offset table from Dynojet. It's already populated at 13.8. When you enable the tuner it does 2 things. 1 it auto populates corrections into a trim table. 2 it holds the bike in a closed loop keeping the AFR at 13.8 as your riding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
By all means do the checks Macka suggests but I'm betting it's off because of the airfilter and pipes. Installing a stock air filter will verify this if your problem goes away.
Then at that point you know if it's induced by your changes or there is something else wrong.
Now If you install the PCV go to thier website and load in there factory corrected table. Then take the bike out and ride it. Then you can verify it was a fueling issue because of the factory setup. Betting it is.
Now if you get the wideband system you download an offset table from Dynojet. It's already populated at 13.8. When you enable the tuner it does 2 things. 1 it auto populates corrections into a trim table. 2 it holds the bike in a closed loop keeping the AFR at 13.8 as your riding.
I run two bikes with aftermarket air filter and pipes with no issues my Suzuki has more torque and runs cooler, my XX purrs like a cat, running a generic map from dynojet is never satisfactory ive never heard anyone being able to say it was perfect. I rode with a motorcycle mechanic few weeks ago who put a pcv 3 on and a downloaded map for his model from dynojet and was rich smelt like raw fuel during acceleration i think that if for safety on their side. if it was that easy to run a free map dyno tuners would be out of a job but there is no free lunch when it comes to tuning

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
Didn't say it would be perfect. It's a starting point and If the issue he has clears then he has the answer.

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
Octane increase will only aggravate it. Higher octane burns slower.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry - Had a couple of Friday night wines.... So, will I need to blank off the existing o2 sensor for the PC V to work with uploaded maps? I'm sure I will work it all out so being lazy re going through old posts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts