Honda CBR XX Forum banner

New Blackbird.

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Pee Wee Hermon jr. 
#1 ·
Hey Y'all.

My favorite bike EVER was my beloved Blackbird. Sadly after less than a year an oversize truck driving on a road with narrower than usual lanes caused it to be written off. :-(

So having ridden nothing but Honda sports bikes for the last 30 years, I decided to try something different. A Yamaha MT-09 Tracer. Build quality?. Terrible. Seating position?. Way too upright for me. Engine?. Absolutely wonderful 900cc triple!. Gobs of torque. ABS?. It has got me out of so many accidents or near accidents. I'm approaching being an elderly man and have decided I cannot live without ABS.

Is there a way to retrofit ABS to a Blackbird?. This would make me a very happy man. :)

Now don't get upset at me but is there a bike similar to the Blackbird with ABS. I'm unwilling but forced to look at ABS bikes only. I still adore the Blackbird. There's the Hayabusa but it doesn't look very comfortable for a pillion. The wife would not be impressed. I like that it's ugly but all that expensive plastic!.

So, unless a Blackbird can have third party ABS, deserve a damn good flogging for even considering another bike, has anyone got any suggestions for another bike?

Appreciated, sad and ashamed!. :-(
Thanks in advance. :)
Tony.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well,
Hopefully I won't be flogged for suggesting this... but if you like gobs of torque, pillion comfort is part of the equation... go for a test ride on a 2018+ Goldwing, BMW K1600 GT... something like that. The wing will surprise you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Funny, the guy a bought my mint 01 Bird from a few months ago sold it for a Tracer to accommodate bad knees.
The Busa was on my short list for a 2-up sport-tourer above the BB actually, but finding one unmolested, stretched or slammed for under 9k is near impossible.

#6 · (Edited)
:cautious: errrm, ageing rider, crashed while avoiding a heavy vehicle on a narrow road, ABS saving skin on a new bike......... (apologies if you aren't an old bastard like me...).

Maybe the rider needs to slow down a bit (you know, public roads blah blah), or take an advanced rider course, possibly check eyesight (seriously, eyes do fade a bit after 40yo) or wear glasses, but before you feel insulted (not my intention), I am of a certain age too...... (ssssh, don't tell anyone, but I turn 64 this october :devilish:), so i'm not the guy I once was.... (long story :rolleyes:).

Our bones won't heal as fast as a young gun so I am qualified to suggest that we old bastards should adjust to our physical constraints (slightly) and enjoy our riding instead of hitting things and risking long covid infested hospital stays.

I have just been reading that the Tracer 9 GT is considered the pick of the bunch from Yamaha's MT range (latest AMCN)..... but if that doesn't float your boat, then I am also qualified to recommend whole heartedly, the KTM 1301cc SDGT 1290.......... I had one from 2017-2021 and loved it...... still do, and I miss it dearly, but I also needed to slow down a tad, so I traded it on a Ducati V4S 1160cc Multistrada - which is one super comfy, but fast when needed, luxo road blaster (y)

Good luck avoiding those fat trucks that are out there trying to run you off the roads - I must fess up that on a recent Ducati club run I was one of many who were too hot coming into a single lane bridge...... just as a car (also too hot on approach from the other side) appeared...... nothing to do but press on to the car drivers horn blowing insult = WE were both at fault for going too fast for the conditions, but no drivers or vehicles were harmed in the making of that incident :devilish:.

(y)

Reactions: stellborn
#8 ·
… Is there a way to retrofit ABS to a Blackbird?. This would make me a very happy man. :)
Tony,

To address your ABS on a BB query, yes it has supposedly been done.

I too would love to add it too but nobody seems to have done a "how to".

#11 ·
Hey Y'all.

My favorite bike EVER was my beloved Blackbird. Sadly after less than a year an oversize truck driving on a road with narrower than usual lanes caused it to be written off. :-(

So having ridden nothing but Honda sports bikes for the last 30 years, I decided to try something different. A Yamaha MT-09 Tracer. Build quality?. Terrible. Seating position?. Way too upright for me. Engine?. Absolutely wonderful 900cc triple!. Gobs of torque. ABS?. It has got me out of so many accidents or near accidents. I'm approaching being an elderly man and have decided I cannot live without ABS.

Is there a way to retrofit ABS to a Blackbird?. This would make me a very happy man. :)

Now don't get upset at me but is there a bike similar to the Blackbird with ABS. I'm unwilling but forced to look at ABS bikes only. I still adore the Blackbird. There's the Hayabusa but it doesn't look very comfortable for a pillion. The wife would not be impressed. I like that it's ugly but all that expensive plastic!.

So, unless a Blackbird can have third party ABS, deserve a damn good flogging for even considering another bike, has anyone got any suggestions for

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.