Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found a 97 carbed bird with 636 miles. Wow. The guy that had it before me just liked looking at it I guess. Not me. She's been out and broken in properly. This brings me to my delimma. There's fuel coming from the vent tube of the carb. It looks like the one center left. I searched this site and can't find the steps for unsticking the float. I've tapped it and taken the airbox off to look at the carbs. But what do do from there? I took off the black plastic cover but it only had a spring in it. I couldn't see where the float was. I'm trying to learn my bike but have very limited experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great site. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
As it was just sitting there for so long, you will find that everything has dried up inside, You may have to pull it apart and clean the gunk out, Try spraying liberal amounts of WD 40 or similar on all the moving bits to try freeing them up. Are all the rubbers free from cracks, or have they dried out and got cracks in them.
It certainly was a good buy, 12 year old bike and brand new,
Cheers,
Brian.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rubber is actually in really good shape. It ran great until I used 100 octane racing fuel. Suspect it may have been old. Did the seafoam thing and it runs well above 4000 rpm but still bogs up to that point. Really like to know how to unstick the float. Or even how to get to it. I'm going on my first overnight ride this weekend and really don't want to be raped by the Honda shop. Help me brethren.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Drain all your old fuel out and replace it with new,
Take it for a good ride and let the new fuel go through it, it will probably chug and carry on for a while, but the new fuel running through it might free it up.It may take fifteen or twenty miles to do it, you can only try, Some one else on here might give you some idea's, you will just have to wait till they come on line.
Cheers.
Brian.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did you run the whole seafoam tank through already? You're probably going to have a tough time without pulling the carbs off completely. If you're not up for that, you could possibly put her on the center stand and let her idle for a few hours with seafoam or similar carb cleaner in the tank. Pull the side fairings off and make sure there is some air flow around the bike.

Good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the whole tank jus went through yesterday. Same thing happening. I may try the centerstand idea. Thanks for the reply. Anyone know about opening up the carbs?I'm not afraid to do it. Just need to know what to look out for.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
You can down load the manual from on this site. Try the search function.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked it ip the other day. Awesome resource this site is. Doesn't go in depth about carb dismantling. Thanks for the heads up tho.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Picked it ip the other day. Awesome resource this site is. Doesn't go in depth about carb dismantling. Thanks for the heads up tho.
Did you download the service manual, or the owners manual? I would think that the service manual would talk a great deal about carbs, but it's been a long time since I looked at mine.

Students are taking finals so I've got nothing better to do, I'll find a tutorial for ya :thumb:

·
Registered
501 Posts
My 97 did the same thing last year. It was leaking from one of the vent tubes. I got a can of sea foam. I put about 1/4 of the bottle in the tank, the tank being about 1/3 full). Then I put some straight into the carbs, just poured some straight into them with the air box off. I think it says on the bottle to do that :idunno:

it back fired A LOT and there was A LOT of smoke. then it gradually went away. i let if idle for a while, rev'ed it up every once in a while. I even rode it around a bit when it was smoking :smilebig:. Then when the fuel light came on, I filled up the tank and it was good to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on. I put about 1/2 a bottle in a full tank not wanting to hurt the engine. Didn't even think about putting it in the carbs directly. Did you pull the airbox and put it in the 4 exposed intake holes where the air goes in? Or did you pull the carbs apart more? Looks like I'll get another bottle and go big.

·
Registered
501 Posts
^ right, i poured some straight into the 4 intake holes. I am pretty sure it explains on the label that you can do that... Do that sounds like a bad idea but it worked for me. When i did this, my friend who is a mechanic told me to. I didn't believe him, but we did it anyway. Later I read the label and is said to pour straight into the throttle body.

found a link to the directions:
http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/SeaFoam.jpg

you can see it right there. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Οοps..! you messed with the wrong side of carbs..the fuel floaters are placed at the bottom side....try to tap each bowl with the back of a screwdriver...at the side of each fuel bowl you will see a screw...it it used for fuel draining....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Much thanks to everyone that responded. This resource is incredible. I'll be sure to pass my little bit of knowledge on. Salute!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sometimes polishing the float needle seat with Brasso and a Q-Tip will stop a leaky float valve but replacing the needles with new ones is the best way to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts