Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day every one,
New to the forum and proud new owner of a nice 97 BB.
Runs great but leaks a bit of oil probably form a dried up motor gasket. Especially after a nice run. I really tested it this summer and I was amazed at how well it still rides. It has about 75k km on it. Its the kind of bike i like. I use to have a 2008 Busa and i must say it was more brutal but still in the same category.
I am planning a nice mechanical overall this winter along with a dyno test to set the bar.
Then I plan to tweek it to my likings.
If you wish i can post my project as it unfolds.

I find the suspension a bit soft especially in front. Would you recommend an upgrade or it just rides like that?

I saw great reversed forks mods but i wonder if it’s worth it?

I would like to improve acceleration, i don’t care too much for top speed...
I love controlled power wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear but was left on my appetite a bit with my old bird. Do you think sprocket change along with after market exhaust system would do it?
Anyway, can’t wait to read you all!

Happy isolated Holidays to all from Montreal!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome Vince.

Many options for the suspension. Chances are the OE bits are a little tired by now. Front end swaps for upside down forks can be done but require some work. I opted for Jamie Daugherty suspension front and rear on my '98 and the bike rides really well. His kit replaces the internal bits in the fork to make them fully adjustable. The rear is a reworked CBR954 shock iirc.

I ran some light Marvic magnesium wheels with a 46 tooth rear sprocket for a while. Great punch out of corners. The carbs are a bit sensitive so don't take too well to changes. Having said that, I'm running 145-150-150-145 main jets with gutted OE exhausts and a pipercross filter with reasonable success. Changing the end cans doesn't normally require a change in jetting but some carb bikes don't run well with aftermarket air filters.

Sent from my LM-G810 using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,992 Posts
I also recommend Jamie Daugherty's suspension. I have it front and back and really like it.
Change the front sprocket out if you want acceleration.
After market exhaust system helps but the major advantage is loss of the pounds! It will be louder though.
Welcome! There is a lot of knowledge here and friendly folks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vince XX

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Suspension mods as stated above. If you don't mind a vibration increase and your in the cases. Pull the balance shafts out. It'll spin up quicker. But you'll have to mod the oil system to correct the flow because the shafts are out.
Change wheels as Mello states. Reduced wheel mass helps spin up. Be careful dropping teeth on the front sprocket. The smaller diameter can add stress to the chain. Easier on the assembly by upping rear tooth count.
If you get into the airbox as stated the Carbies are pretty much maxed out and don't react kindly to airflow changes. You're going to have to reject at the least. Or go with flat slides. Have fun you are standing on the edge of a very slippery slope 😁. Once you step off your gone in a good way.
Ohh put in a ignition advance kit. Wanna say most start at 4 degrees. I'd also put in a pro shift kit to help the transmission when your banging gears on one wheel.

Reactions: Vince XX

·
Registered
590 Posts
Welcome Vince, very clean looking BB! I'm on a 97 too. My wilder riding days are well behind me (spirit is willing but the body just takes too long to heal nowadays) so all my mods these days are comfort, safety or ancils (yawn).

Huge wealth of knowledge from other folk on the site as you are already seeing re performance and handling (even rebore to 1200, turbo kits and I'm sure I read NOx too). Plenty of debate on tyre/ tire choice re extra sticky v extra durable (plus psi/ bar insights).

Great seat on your bird! Plus I notice your mirrors don't look stock. If you are considering reverting back to stock be aware there are aftermarket extenders which greatly improve the view (so you see more than your own elbows/ shoulders) and aftermarket glass with aspherical tips (curved tips) to provide wider angle view and reduced blind spot. May help you check for Mounties before popping up the front 😁

Rgds Mallow1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comment, I too tend to recover les quickly from a big ride than I use to. Up to now I rather hurt and have a blast this is why I keep my bird racing style. I may opt for a more comfy set up in a few years when pain overcomes my riding pleasure 😉.
The seat is an old Corbin I just had redone, it does make the bike look younger. The original mirrors where broken so I bought cheap ones on the net but they look good and the rear view is surprisingly ok.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This group did a group buy at GP suspension for a front fork upgrade. I did mine and was very pleased with the work. I then added an Ohlins shock to the rear. Now the bike handles they way I think it should have when they designed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I will have to upgrade the front and rear after reading all your comments about it. This is too much of a handling upgrade to pass.
Nice to read your comments!

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Didn't see it mentioned but put a 6mm shim above the rear shock mount. Between it and the frame. Transforms her like nothing else.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome!
My new 97 has reworked front suspension, and ohlins adjustable rear suspension. It handles way better, and is also more comfortable in the saddle. My previous 97 seemed rather stiff, but believe it had been set up for a heavier rider than myself. I'm curious where this oil leak is coming from as well. Most likely nothing major.
You should have enough downtime here with this winter weather to have a looksie. Stick around... everyone here shares the Cbr1100xx passion and many are very knowledgeable!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Oil leak....... what oil leak........ :eek: .......... the only oil leak on my 05BB is from excess chain lube :LOL:........ I'd be investigating further depending on where it's leaking from........ maybe it just needs a new cam cover gasket or clutch pushrod seal?

(y) Ditto the suspension comments...... I put HD Ohlins fork springs in mine and an Ohlins rear shock which transformed the bike..... especially for 2 up with luggage sport touring.... it was easy to adjust for changing loads, had plenty of settings for rebound and compression, and even though it felt much firmer, it was actually more comfortable than the stock springs and damper as they used to bottom out (they give the feeling of being firm on smooth roads, but they collapse on sharp bumps)....... also, the stock rear shock was very difficult to adjust spring preload (needed tools and access was limited), and damping was a single adjuster for only rebound or compression.... I forget which, but it was underwhelming for anything more than solo rider around town riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was not able to locate the leak yet as it is so small. After a ride when the bike sat overnight there is a small puddle on the ground. Then when I start the bike again it will smoke a bit until the oil burns away. All I know is that it comes from the motor and seems to be above or close to the heathers. Does not seem to be a big deal at all but I will have it checked this winter when Intake the bird in for a dyno test.

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
All I know is that it comes from the motor and seems to be above or close to the heathers.
The cam cover gasket has to be favorite. There are holes to drain any water that gets down the plug 'wells', these exit at the front of the block and make it look as though the head gasket has failed. If the cam cover gasket fails (or isn't put on properly after a valve check) oil finds it's way into the plug well and exits at the front of the block. If you remove the plug caps and prod down a fine rod with a bit of cloth firmly attached you should be able to see if any oil has found its way into the plug wells. This will either rule in / rule out this as being the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts