Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
The DownTag - Coming Soon!
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Ok, so the short of it is, I find myself living in Arizona...probably will for the next 6-12 months. What does this translate to...crappy (and I mean crappy) roads - pitted, rough, uneven, gravely, unfriendly (even to the best suspension), roads. :thumbd:

Need suggestions for tires - my Diablo Corsa IIIs are apparently too soft...the roads around here are eating through them like a knife through warmed butter! :mad:

A few details about riding habits - I still commute home (Orange County, CA) every couple of weeks...which translates to about 2,000 miles per month (if not more). For the most part, I ride non-aggressively...although if a young squid pulls along side of me thinking that he actually has a chance against my bird with his 600 or 1000 toy cycle, I don't hesitate to show him what a real motorcycle can do. :cool:

Need - I need something that will last me more than 2 months at a time, will warm up quick, handle rain (if I find myself taking a shower), stick well in the corners at full lean, AND NOT wear a landing strip down the middle.

Yes yes...I know...I want my cake and I want to eat it to...can you blame me? :idunno:

HELP!

-PDXer

P.S. I've heard good things about the Pirelli Diablo Stradas...anyone run them?

X

·
0 Posts
Cheap durable tires-Bridgestone BT021s. Better tires-Michelin Pilot Roads. Best tires-Pilot Road 2, but get your pocket book out.......

·
Railin'
672 Posts
I guess I'll start the chiming of the Dunlop Roadsmart bells. Excellent wear, pretty good grip (they grip well enough that I've scuffed my cans and lower fairings in a couple of favorite corners). They're harder in the center on the rear so they don't flatstripe for a long time. The front is very sure-footed in rain and in the wet, the only tires better in the rain (that I've ridden) are D616's. But I don't think you want those for "an occasional shower" because they're even softer than your Diablos).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same problem, I ride about 400 miles a week to work and school. I was going through tires like crazy:(. This last time I went with a set of Diablo Stradas and have put 2000 miles on them so far. Still have good grip and a lot of tire left. I think I can get another 2000 out of them:thumb:. The place I got them from was high, but check out Southwest Moto Tire, they have some good prices on rubber.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
:plus1:
:plus1: on the Dunlop Roadsmarts.

Roadsmarts are very nice. In my normal commuting, I got ~25,000km from the set. (And I currently have 62,000km on the OEM chain/sprockets at the 1/2 way mark.) Currently running a set of Pirelli Angels. Also very nice. Quicker to turn than the Roadsmarts, but no drop like the Pilot Road 2s I had before them.

So much better in the way of linear tip in, that for the first time since I have been riding the 'bird, (I first had a new '98 in '98...), I actually have the confidence in the tyres to start touching my toe down on a semi regular basis. (Still haven't touched a hero peg yet though! :p )

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
I run the metzler Z6 15000 klms out of th back tyre, I run hard mountain twisties mainly, in all weather. They are no good on Black ice and snow, but every thing else, They stick like shit to a blanket, I have full confidence in them, They just dont let go, no matter what I am doing.
My second set will get me about 13000 klms. Heavy handed,

Cheers,
Brian.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cheap durable tires-Bridgestone BT021s. Better tires-Michelin Pilot Roads. Best tires-Pilot Road 2, but get your pocket book out.......
The Bridgestone BT021s are great tyres, and I agree that you'll be needing a sport touring tyre rather than a softer rubber...

Have you looked at the Avon Storm? In the past Avon have been thought of as a budget brand but they've brought a few new lines out. The Storm is a damn good sport touring tyre, comparable to the BT021 but is considered much better in the wet. I have the Avons on front and rear of my 'bird and can't fault it...in fact I prefer them to the Pirelli Diablo Stradas on my last bike. I found that they didn't really inspire much confidence and didn't heat up as quickly as the Storms do, although they did last over 10,000 miles...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm running a set of bridgestones 020 ,The spec tire from the BMW GT. Certainly not the stickiest but they are wearing well. they can be had cheap for about 220 bucks US for the set.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
I was very pleased with the Avon Storms, also the Pirelli Stradas, and I'm on P2s which are also an excellent tire. I would choose good mileage over super performance in your case. I'm looking at Road Smarts as my next choice. Good Luck

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am comparing Pilot Road with Metzler Z6...so far I like the Z6 better...will be able to compare milage when the current pair wears out...but both are good tires. Got 6k miles out of the Roadies...hoping for better with th Z6s....I mostly run the bike on the highway between North Carolina and Atlanta area.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I run the metzler Z6 15000 klms out of th back tyre, I run hard mountain twisties mainly, in all weather. They are no good on Black ice and snow, but every thing else, They stick like shit to a blanket, I have full confidence in them, They just dont let go, no matter what I am doing.
My second set will get me about 13000 klms. Heavy handed,

Cheers,
Brian.

Yup, I'm with Brian here. The Z6 uses a hard compund for the center line, and then a much softer material for the side walls.

It will tolerate the AZ roads (which I have riden a ton of miles over) and will stick in the corners, and keep the catus out of your face...

You'll never go wrong with a tire like this.

Lois

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I prefer the Bridgestones the BT021 should be ideal for what you want and very high mileage.
Sure....those tires will work just fine on the girlie smooth, cornerless, slow speed roads of Taz.....but I'm afraid they won't cut it in the real world.

Nice try though.

Lois

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Thats the only sane bit that I have ever heard from the slow red loser leader I have ever heard, He has put Z6's on his Bird.:rolleyes:
At least his bird wont slip in the wet.:eyebrows:

Yes I know, you hate me. Lois.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Cheers,
Brian.:thumb:

·
A Rainbird Warrior
5,154 Posts
Sure....those tires will work just fine on the girlie smooth, cornerless, slow speed roads of Taz.....but I'm afraid they won't cut it in the real world.

Nice try though.

Lois

That is the kind of riding he will be doing :rotfl:

I prefer the BT014 for the Tassie racing circuit, the roads are more BENT than you & shewie:)

You Guy's dont seem to be talking much lately :huh:

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Sorry, Poundy, Been out riding, even on melted roads. and crawling with Mr Plod,
Cheers,
Brian.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts