Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potential new member here if thpurchase works out.

Only thing that scares me is the mileage. Just looking for an objective opinion. I plan on using this as a sport tourer because I’m trying to do longer trips and my ZX7R is just too uncomfortable.

I have no interest in paying close to asking price, but I’m wondering if you guys think it’s worth my time at all.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
I think that's not a bad deal at all. Once I converted it to USD. $2,100 with 66,000 miles. Today's used motorcycle market in the states is very hot. Prices are up and dealers don't have hardly any new bikes and no used bikes around me. The miles don't scare me because that bike if cared for will go well over 100,000 miles easily. Sure, you have parts you'll have to replace in those 100,000 miles... wheel bearings , head bearings, cam chain tensioner, chain, brakes, fork bushings and oil, valve adjustment, spark plugs, oil and a battery.
At 66,000 miles I would think a cam chain tensioner would be needed soon. An easy and cheap part to replace. If the forks had never been serviced they will need a complete overhaul with seals, oil and bushings. Not a big deal.
Those bags and mounting hardware alone are worth around $600 USD. I'll bet it has on some type of handlebar risers on it too. So all in all they are asking a very fair price in my opinion. They did say... OBO. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. The reason I’m saying I have no interest in paying near asking price is because I’m still a university student. While I can make it work, it’s a bit strenuous at the moment still being part-time.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Thanks for your input. The reason I’m saying I have no interest in paying near asking price is because I’m still a university student. While I can make it work, it’s a bit strenuous at the moment still being part-time.
Understand. Make an offer. You can always go up but never down!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Gotta agree with XXGUY, if it's been well maintained and otherwise in OEM condition, the mileage is not that great a concern. The bags & mounting hardware are a notable bonus. The price, in the current economy, is almost a steal. See it, and ride it, then negotiate. Best of luck!

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts
Agree with the 2 previous comments the bag system is worth every part of the 6 that XX states. Cases alone are 200 a piece and the rack if you could get it is another 200. So deduct that from the price he's asking and you around 2000.00. Just for your Info that rack can be pulled in about 15 minutes if you want to.
If it's been maintained then yes it'll last a long long time I've got 206,000 MILES on mine now used for daily commuting and runs great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thing was an absolute pile. Bike was parked outside for x amount of years (horrible paint fading and oxidation), fairings were cracked and the bags were scraped up. Rode okay (in a “meh” kind of way). Thanks for the responses; I do appreciate them.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
$2700 CAD = $2100 US = £1567 UK. Running and driving, this is as cheap as they get.

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts
Mechanics are fairly easy. Bodywork is another matter. Not many good repops out there. Throw in a good paint job and your easily into 1/2 the cost of what he's originally asking.

Reactions: _Sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mechanics are fairly easy. Bodywork is another matter. Not many good repops out there. Throw in a good paint job and your easily into 1/2 the cost of what he's originally asking.
If it was clean but needed mechanical work, it’d be sitting in my garage. It’ll be impossible for me to feasibly make it look good. There are nice blackbirds scattered around Alberta for under $4000 with half the mileage and in way better condition.

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts
👍

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Thing was an absolute pile. Bike was parked outside for x amount of years (horrible paint fading and oxidation), fairings were cracked and the bags were scraped up. Rode okay (in a “meh” kind of way). Thanks for the responses; I do appreciate them.
That's unfortunate. The XX is a great bike. Keep looking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That's the plan. Seems to be hard to find a fuel-injected one and I told myself I'm finally going FI on my next bike. Also looking at BMW R bikes of the same era so I'll see where it goes. Less power but they seem to be equally reliable.

Here's the other one I'm looking at. It's about 4 hours away and it's carbureted if I'm not mistaken

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ended up buying a VFR800 instead about a month ago. Not quite the same but it's still a hoot. Came with saddlebags so it's a bit more practical too which is a huge help. Only 62,000km too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts