Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of rewiring my bird and I've got most of it except a mystery plug by the battery.

The other question I have does anyone here know where the back map sensor goes?? If anyone has a picture of how their rear wiring looks much appreciated.

Thanks M

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
That is the plug for the tank sending unit. Guessing you have a gen1 bird (analog dash). gen2 only uses 2 wires. Another clue is your asking about the Baro sensor on the rear tail. It's located on the tray on the right side as your setting on the bike back by the tail light. If you look in the resources section there is a copy of the factory service manual. Down load it it will come in very handy. There is a section that shows all of the sensors and thier locations in the front. It also shows you how to route the harness and all of the cables and connections along with vacuum lines.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I had to replace the harness from a gen one with fuel injection for my 2003 bird. Will it still work? I have the digital dash. The tank I have is from the same gen 1 bird. Still gotta have a good look and see where the back map sensor goes.

Wish I could post a video and show my progress

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
So your putting an 03 harness in a gen1?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other way around an 01 in a 03, the wiring seems to be all the same except this last plug.

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
If your still talking about the sensing unit plug (black 3 wire) then your looking at a 00 harness. So I'm suspecting your donor bike was a very early 01. The digital 2nd gen didn't have an in tank sensor or a rear BARO sensor. Its built into the software for the digi dashes. They flash the fuel bars when your down to what they call the reserve IE 1 gallon left.
The baro sensor becomes N/A with the 03 computer. It uses the MAP sensor to calculate altitude. It can be plugged in and won't trigger an error. I'm running an 02 computer on my 00. Everything is compatible wiring wise. The only issue that develops is the temp sensor and the FI warning light. I had to change over to an LED bulb to get it to work/light. Because your already working with an 03 system everything is pretty much a wash for swapping. With the above mention of the tank unit. You can pull the brown wire in the 3 out it's the low level trigger. But you'll have to source a new connector body. Because your 2nd gen harness only uses 2 wires. This is another bit of proof your installing a 1st gen harness not an actual 01 2nd gen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've connected everything but I can't seem to get the fuel pump to turn on and prime. I've looked and connected everything but in saying that this bike is an 2003 with a 99-00 wiring harness. It turns over and lights up the dash. Any ideas or am I looking for another harness? The original harness has 4 relays this gen 1 has 3.

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
Could you snap a picture of the relay location differences. The I'd jumper power to the pump. That way we can make sure the fuel pump not cycling is your only issue. If it fires and runs then we can just focus on the pump.

·
Registered
666 Posts
From memory: Gen 2 has a relay on the fan circuit as the ECU triggers the fan thru this relay. Gen 1 has no relay and fan is simply triggered by sensor on radiator.

Also, check fuel pump relay and fuse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok update, I jumped the relay and gave it 12v to the black/white wire: relay works! And pump does too! But only if I supply power to it and the pump only primes if power pack I'm using is turned on&off but doesn't prime again if I turn the key or kill switch.

There's still no power at the terminals where it plugs into the pump. My question is, do I need to have both the pump and fuel gauge plugged in to power up the pump?.i noticed that when I measured voltage I got 12v on my fuel sending wire.

Currently still no voltage to the fuel pump plug

·
Registered
666 Posts
What is a power pack? Is this a device in lieu of a battery.? If so, I suggest to use a real battery.
What is fuel sending wire? Is this the wire from ECU that triggers pump relay?
If you jump relay, will bike start and run.?

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
I mean the gas guage plug
Your gauge plug isn't going to match but we can fix that later. Right now you need to chase the pump power. It sounds like your not getting power to bring up the relay. So your going to have to use the wiring diagram and chase the power from the battery to the relay. Chances are your problem is in the kill switch area. Is your FI light lit when you key on your ignition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is where I'm at, cleaned up the wiring, I get continuity on both wires for the pump.the pump works when I give the BLK/white on the relay wire 12v directly. The kill-switch is clean and working. I will check the bank angle sensor.

Ok I'm drawing straws here,I'm just gonna take a break and read the manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Woot! It primes, fooking bank angle sensor was upside down. Tested it with a volt meter and I hear the relay click.

Will fire it up tonight after I clean up the mess I made of the loom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts