Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been looking to replace my windscreen with something that offers more wind protection for my 6 foot 4 inch frame. I was wondering how folks like the MRA Vario or the MRA touring screen. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,896 Posts
Hi all, I have been looking to replace my windscreen with something that offers more wind protection for my 6 foot 4 inch frame. I was wondering how folks like the MRA Vario or the MRA touring screen. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Joe
I'm 6'3" and I had a double bubble. Then I put on the Vario. I used to run with the adjustable lip up somewhat but after thousands of miles I learned that I like it flat or down. When it is going to be cold or raining then I put it up. Up it will give me more helmet noise due to air turbulence but it protects me better. I like it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,523 Posts
Xx are you able to post a pic from side of bike exactly in line across forks with bars straight and rhen maybe another with turned? I want to see if the vario rises up quickly enough from the fairing to clear some apex bars and master cylinders i have on. Cheers pete

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
I came to the vario screen due to a series of changes that I made to my Bird.
I found the standard (early) lower screen perfect for the the first 17 years of ownership (only 5'10"")
Having given up commuting and taken up touring I fitted Gilles vario bars to give my very damaged wrists a slightly easier time. This raised me slightly. Then I bought a Schuberth C3 Pro................. result was severe head shake when out with fellow Birdies when hitting slightly illegal speeds.

Fitted the vario screen.
First thing I noticed was a tad more wind noise than I was used to even with ear plugs in.
The next thing that I noticed was that the weight on my wrists had increased since I was more sheltered so less 'lift' on my body at speed.

But I am prepared to put up with those slight niggles since no more head shake. The screen performs very well for me. High setting for days on French motorways and on cold winter days. Low setting for slow riding days up and down mountains.
I'm not tempted to remove the screen even though the looks took some getting used to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Duck. I am not overly impressed with the looks either. Does anyone have experience with the MRA touring screen without the flippy device?

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,896 Posts
Xx are you able to post a pic from side of bike exactly in line across forks with bars straight and rhen maybe another with turned? I want to see if the vario rises up quickly enough from the fairing to clear some apex bars and master cylinders i have on. Cheers pete
Sure, tomorrow

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,896 Posts
First photo. Bars locked left.
Second photo straight.
Third photo, locked right
Fourth photo locked left from above perspective.
Fifth photo, locked right from above perspective.
6th photo, straight ahead.
I have a power source on top of the clutch reservoir.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,523 Posts
Well done xx! another example of how helpful this bunch of folks can be here. Thank you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes well done. That gives me a good understanding of how the screen looks from the seat.

Thanks XX

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks

Joe
Care to sell your original windscreen???

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,896 Posts
Well, here is an example of the strength of the Vario. Coming into work today a Robin flew up and I ducked. Looked back up and saw this... the lip was folded down. As the throttle side still is...

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
RIP robin!
I bet MRA didn't take that sort of impact into account when they designed the screen but it seems to have survived well.

Reactions: Mallow1

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,896 Posts
RIP robin!
I bet MRA didn't take that sort of impact into account when they designed the screen but it seems to have survived well.
Not even scratched.

·
Registered
454 Posts
RIP robin!
Before I comment on the MRA (used if a few yrs before dropping it) an aside dittee…

Airplane manufacturers (like bike ones) test for bird strike. Obviously such an event can be way worse for planes than bike re likely number of casualties per strike.

Anyway, in the early days of the jet era, to test such a thing the brits used to fire supermarket chicken carcases at their aero screens. They shared the results with their cousins across the pond. The yanks liked the idea but couldn't replicate the results (they had way higher failure rates).

When confronting the brits re fraudulent data, the brits enquired had the yanks remembered to defrost them first. No reply from the yanks… ;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Anyway stepping away from RIP Robin, whether the MRA (inc or exc flip) in part it depends upon you (i.e. how tall you are re head & shoulders exposure, how gorilla arm-lengthed you are (irrespective of height) and your bonce (head shape and size… coz that dictates your helmet choice).

I'm 5'10" with the arms of someone 6'2" and have an oval shaped head (only Arais fit comfortably).

MRA (no flip in my case) was great to give extra wind protection (and a quality screen re materials/ build/ fit wise). Loss of wind "support" was less of an issue for me re arm fatigue. However the Arai I had then was great re stability (no headshake) even with extra turbulance from the MRA but horrid re extra noise re that same turb. Plus I disliked the sleek lines of my BB being marred by the MRA.

On balance, the MRA was very functional in my case. However, I went double bubble as a compromise between better looks, reduced noise, decreased arm fatigue but less protection. 15 yrs later I'm still happy with that switch to double bubble.

Point re UK riding… it rains a lot. Extra protection against oncoming rain, the MRA is "good". Ability to clear your visor in swirling missle/ drissle/ road spray conditions by quick look left then right way reduced with the MRA.

So MRA or not is very circumstaintial/ situational/ personal choice but I will wholly support it as a well made, well fitting, fit for purpose screen. If that purpose "fits" you, game on.

Rgds M1

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
When confronting the brits re fraudulent data, the brits enquired had the yanks remembered to defrost them first. No reply from the yanks…
When I was working at British Aerospace/Airbus we used to get the final year engineers on work placements to ask (when they went to that department) when the frozen chickens were going to be fired at the wind shields. This was of course 'to simulate high altitude bird strike where birds are effectively frozen'. Our section often got phone calls to say 'you got another one'. :D

Yes engineers have warped senses of humour.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts