1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
381 Posts
Paul, did you do this swap out? I'm curious as to how you replace the mirror glass.

I have 2 damaged mirrors I picked up really cheap. The left glass and backing is broken but the right is intact. A mate of mine broke his left mirror and the glass and I was thinking I could possibly make one good left mirror from the bits. I'm not sure how to remove the mirror glass though.

Sent from my LM-G810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Mello, you can buy the mirors on the bay, one guy in germany and one in the uk , i have a set of the uk ones , getting them out is a pain, getting them in is easier pm me if more info needed paul

·
Registered
501 Posts
Paul, did you do this swap out? I'm curious as to how you replace the mirror glass.

I have 2 damaged mirrors I picked up really cheap. The left glass and backing is broken but the right is intact. A mate of mine broke his left mirror and the glass and I was thinking I could possibly make one good left mirror from the bits. I'm not sure how to remove the mirror glass though.

Hi Mello,

I bought a pair of these a while back (Oct 2018). They are marginally smaller than OEM and came with strips of double sided tape on the backs.

Your options are therefore stick over old or break out the old and insert the new instead.

I opted to break out the old:
  • took the mirror assembly apart first.
  • Used a hair dryer to soften old adhesive.
  • My old glass was cracked anyway so not troubled re trying to get the old out in one piece though I have heard of some who have managed that. Rem the plastic housing has holes from the rear at the tip end so you can push the old glass from the back carefully too. So it is possible… I presume by applying more heat around the edges to help soften the plastic frame. Good luck.
  • Cleaned off the old adhesive and applied the new mirror.
  • If I recall the tips are slightly curved so I added extra doublesided tape to help the padding and compensate for the smaller size (re not wholly being held in place by the recessed edges).
  • being uber cautious I then used black silicon sealant around the edge just to help protect the silvered edges from water ingress as well as an additional glue effect.

Rgds Mallow1

PS I love the aspherical tips re less of a blind spot!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks guys. I might have a go at doing a Qbond repair and getting some glass cut to shape rather than potentially destroying a reasonable mirror.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts