Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would throw my thoughts out there because I don't know anyone else who has put a set of these on a Blackbird yet.

Metzeler have finally made the Roadtec 01 available for purchase here in Australia. Not the cheapest here at $480/set, but as I keep telling a good mate of mine, "I'm getting old and I just want what I want".

History: I've owned this Bird just over 18 months and 26 000klms. I live in Southeast QLD and have ridden it from Central Queensland to Central New South Wales through all sorts of mostly warm conditions. By far the majority of my riding is with my gorgeous pillion attached to the back seat. When purchased it had near new Conti Road Attack IIs which I loved but lasted 9 063klms. I then ran a set of Angel GTs from new to the wear limit. These lasted 16 208klms and interestingly the front tyre wore out first. I attribute this mostly to the futile mission of chasing Mr Epoc around mountains.

After much reading and youtubing, I decided on these Metzelers.

I had them fitted one afternoon, went to head to the mountains to scrub them in, but remembered I was going out for dinner and realized I had run out of time. We took the Blackbird out to dinner that night. On the way home I clean forgot about the new tyre situation and went through a roundabout just under the speed of light. Then this accusing voice on the bluetooth reminded me - "I thought you were supposed to scrub new tyres in first?" Oops, but they hung on perfectly.

First impressions were that two things were odd. Firstly Road Noise. Compared to the Angel GT, these things sounded like Four Wheel Drive Mud Tyres on the road. It was the most startling thing I've heard in a long time. Secondly whilst there was lots of grip, cornering just felt "odd" The best way I can describe it was that it felt like I had a a very aggressive sports tyre on the rear and a planted touring tyre on the front.

That reminded me, I hadn't checked the pressures yet, because of course the shop would always get it right. Sure enough the next morning revealed they were on 36/36, so what the hell, I raised them to 42/42 and took it to work.

1000klms later I am not hearing the road noise anymore. With the pressures set for a Blackbird I would describe the handling as neutral - in fact incredibly neutral. Dump it into a corner and there is no resistance and no dangerous "tippy" feeling. It just sits on rails and goes within 1 cm of where I want it to.

Next thing was a work trip 400klm north up to Central(ish) Queensland - Bundaberg for the locals. On the way up I went slightly inland (Mt Mee, Maleny, Connondale, Kennilworth, Gympie for the locals) Fully loaded with soft panniers, back bag and pillion it finally got tested on some twisties. Again in this configuration, it just went where I pointed it. It was all very unremarkable. I got chatting to a pretty decent Police Officer at Mt Mee, and wasted too much time, which saw me on Roo patrol for the last half of the journey, not arriving at my destination until 7:30PM.

Next day I had a morning meet for work. This was when things started to come undone. Looking on the weather radar, it became clear the forecast was a tad optimistic. We set out for home and just decided to express down the highway in an attempt to beat the weather ...... yeah right ...... stopping for coffee we tossed up putting on our wets. For those in colder climates, we have a different set of problems here. You see for much of the year, if it rains, wet weather gear is a waste of time. If you put it on, you will sweat so bad, you get soaked anyway. Mostly unless it is chucking down, you are better just to tough it out.

However we decided to put our wets on being winter, and was that ever the right call. 20 klms later the heavens just unloaded on us. This part of the journey is the main reason I am writing this review. The storm was so bad that some quite remarkable things happened. The highway is speed limit 100kph (62.5mph) A few people made a brave effort to continue, but others were ducking off the road wherever they could. Many of them would drive off, and realize the road shoulder was a lake, so they left their butts hanging out on the highway at 45deg. I have never seen anything like it. There was so much wind and water that there was lines of surf literally cresting abd breaking across the road. I kept going because stopping in that environment had its own set of risks. I was following a truck at one point. Struggling to see everything, I started to realize that we weren't in great situation. At one point doing about 50kph I hit water about a foot deep. The wind and torrential rain were incredible.

At one point rounding a curve I was forced by a discontinued lane, to merge across the white line. At this point I felt a tiny little front tyre slip, but when I exited the line, the grip resumed very abruptly.

Folks in the wet these tyres are absolutely incredible. I've never ridden on anything like them. I find them quite pleasant in the dry, I like their consistency and neutral feel. With Angel GTs, I used to feel like the Blackbird "shoveled" the front tyre through turns and indeed half way between the middle and the edge is where the front tyre wore out, so I regard my feelings as justified.

As usual in 2017 please don't act solely on my review. I am an experienced rider and my Blackbird has modified suspension, so your results may vary.

I intend to report back further experiences as these tyres wear.

Cheers, Keith

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Keith, i am on my second set of 01s. Previously used Angel GTs. I have an Ohlins and fork cartridges so may not be relevant to other users but i have never had a problem with them. Maybe 7mm of chicken strip left on them, cant quite wear away the elephants head probably due to the suspension setup according to Duck. Not experienced the noise problem though. FWIW i run 36 front and 38 rear as recommended by the guys who set up my suspension correctly.Rear lasted 6000 miles of long rides and scratching around, front maybe had 2000 left on it but i always change in pairs. I'm not the greatest wet weather rider but never had a slip and they seem to inspire confidence in my style of riding. Just ordered a third pair for a set of black rims i have in readiness for next tyre change.
Expect another better informed review soon from another member.

Ill put up a picture later with current mileage on them approx 5500 miles.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome - you've obviously been able to get them over there for longer than we have here. I've never even seen another set!

·
Super Moderator
12,854 Posts
Well I have just had a set fitted to a spare set of wheels ..... and they are still in the back of the van!

These will be fitted to Daily Bird before I head abroad in 3 weeks time. I should have a good sense what they are like when I get home @3000 miles later since I will be riding French motorways, the Route Napoleon, a couple of Alpine passes and lots of small twisties on Corsica.

I would like to think I won't experience too much rain but I have never managed in all my trips to get across Northern France without getting wet!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few months ago when I first started pondering replacement tyres, I could only find one shop in Brisbane who had them. I saw a set there the right size for mine and enquired. He said straight up "I haven't finished testing them yet and I won't sell them to you until I know they are a good tyre." I thought that was a weird statement given my strong and now confirmed suspicion that they would have been well in use already in Europe and USA.

Sometimes Australia is so innovative, but other times we are so backwards.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Here you are teef, put on at 27160 and now at 31446 so 4286 miles. For some reason less squaring off on the rear which started at 4000ish on the previous set in spite of the lower pressures i am using now.

20170807_190854 (Medium).jpg 20170807_190745 (Medium).jpg 20170807_190727 (Medium).jpg

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have had a set of 01's ready to put on for several months. Broke my ankle early in the summer so I guess i will have to wait to give them a try. Looking forward to it.
Thanks for a great evaluation and writeup.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Keith,
My tyre guy told me that Metzeler and are owned by Pirelli and that the slicks that I was looking at both used the same compounds and were made in the same factory. If this is the case I'm wondering what the equivalent pirelli would be for the Roadtec 01's. If this story is true then I can understand why the 01's would stick so well. Any thoughts.

Cheers Garth

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think they run separate operations. I believe the whole lot has now been bought by Chem China anyway. Who knows?

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Looks like a great wet weather tyre , but I'm not too convinced yet probably wait a little
On the Z8s and will probably stock up a few sets.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I ran Z8's for years, Magic tyre wet or dry, Mainly mountain Twistys in all conditions, 10 to 15 thou kays to a rear

Then I tried the Angel GT's, Not impressed with them, As they wore down, They would drop into corners and stand up again weirdly,
The mileage was crap, about 8 thou to a rear, Still stuck to the road very well, No problems there, Front about the same,

I have about 1500 kays on the 01's, Front and rear, Did about 800 kays two up on them, Noojee and the Reefton Spur, Very wet, Then 400 kays very spirited across the Eildon - Jamieson road, Dry,
they are an updated Z8,
They are as good as the Z8's, Im impressed with them, I had two minor slips, Crap on the road once and I think the first one was just a new tyre with not enough scrubbing in, on the edge, and two up,
They are the most expensive tyre here, But cost is irrelevant with the way I ride, as long as they stick to the road in all the crap conditions I ride in, Im happy,
40-40 and 42-42 two up, It gives me even wear across the whole tyre, Im only 75 Kgs,
The piccy is on the Reefton Spur, Two up,

Attachments

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
An unusual looking tyre.
Perfect for the wets.

Reactions: teef.au and deadman

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
They just don't loook like a good wet weather tyre but after these two Teef's and Deadman's reviews I'm very tempted
I think I have problems with my Bird, Temp of 210,

Medium sized Sweepers, For miles, Just what the Bird really likes,
So do I for that matter, hahahaha,
Now 2500 kays on the 01's,
Magic in the wet too, Wet roads and in the rain,

They are well scrubbed in after the Jamo Ride I did, Eildon to Jamieson Road, 63 kays of very tight Twistys, Twice, hahahaha,

Whoo Whoo, I like these tyres,

Im one of those disgusting people that rides in the rain, hahahahaha Honda made it water proof also, hahahaha

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
The piccy in my avatar is the Reefton Spur, Thats the type of roads I ride on, and Im not slow, I need good tyres on my Bird,

Reactions: teef.au
1 - 20 of 35 Posts