Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MCN are doing a poll to find what people think is the best bike in the last 50 years.

Back and forth I go, trying to find the Bird, finally the truth sinks in- its not on their list!

WTF? Even if you dont like it, it was a landmark bike that spawned the ZZR1400 and haybucket.

Its the bike that still wins shootouts in secondhand sports tourer tests

To quote" its the bike most motorcycling journalists would buy if they were spending their own money"

MCN sucks

Lets start a who thinks MCN sucks poll

·
Registered
530 Posts
This is the second time in two weeks I see someone saying the Blackbird spawned the hyperbikes. :thumbd: breakaleg82 said: "As we all know Honda has gracefully bowed out of the big displacement war among Japanese imports (currently dominated by Kawasaki with their ZX-14). (...) They stopped production of the blackbird in 2003 and it kills me inside to know that they don't care to revitalize the bike that started this whole big bore war."

I love the Blackbird a lot, but the Blackbird owes it's existence first and foremost to the Kawasaki ZX-11 / ZZ-R1100. Which conceptually is virtually identical and held the top speed record for production bikes from 1990 to 1995, untill the Blackbird took it - barely - in 1996. Our beloved CBR1100XX is also only marginally quicker on the quarter mile. And before the ZX-11, it was the ZX-10 that was king. And before that a Bimota, and before that another Kawasaki, the GPZ 900 R. So the ZX-14 / ZZR1400 is a continuation of a Kawasaki theme, no credit for the Blackbird. And if it wasn't for the gentleman's agreement, the ZX-12R would have stolen the crown from the Hayabusa, while the updated ZZ-R 1100 became the ZZ-R 1200 and continued to compete with the Blackbird as a sports tourer.

So, should MCN have included the Blackbird? Sure, it didn't add much to the ZX-11 in terms of performance, but it did everything a little better and looks much better and still looks fresh today.
But, let's not pretend the Blackbird started anything or spawned anything, that is just BS and we should know better on CBRXX.com :rant:
And MCN is doing a much better job than any Dutch alternative... so I like MCN :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
:stirpot:

I think the continued popularity of one of the fastest production motorcycles in the world , and one of the best sport tourers in my mind , deserves to be in the top 30 .

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would never dispute that the zzr and its predecessors were top dogs before the bird, I moved on to birds in 96 from zzrs, not because of the higher (totally irrelevant marginally top speed) but because of the overall package and quality that the bird offers. What it did do was kick Kawasaki and Suzuki into action.I just find it unbelievable that one of MCNs choices is a FS1E but the bird is not listed. If it was and got zero votes,fair enough,but to not list it when you see some of the drivel seems sacrelidge. Incidently, I don't think the hayabusa is in the offerings either

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Another good thing about not being mentioned in MCN is they are not only a bargin as was said, there should be plenty of good ones for the future. You wreck your bike or wear it out there should be more to buy that should be in good shape.

I don't care for MCN that much so what they say I take with a grain of salt. There is so much info on the web about the blackbird that it doesn't matter. It was a bike ahead of it's time and turn out to be a fantastic GT Sport machine IMO.

Oh yea you guys forgot the 83 CB1100F. Here's a little info:

"Performance was pace setting. Cycle World tests at 11.13 seconds/120.48 mph quarter mile and 141 mph half mile earned it the designation of "fastest stock bike ever tested"."

Honda does pop up every now and then and says f#$% you we still kick ass........................[

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Putting all bias aside, Rupert Paul gave 'Duck' a good write up in MCN when he took it out for a spin so its not all bad :smilebig:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well as a former automotive editor I'd like to offer the literal translation of a Dutch saying:

The best helmsmen stand on the shore.

Which according to the all-knowing internet translates as the below, which I find less obvious:
Bachelor's wives and maiden's children are well trained.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'd be interested to know if there are any Hardleys in the list. If so the list is bogus. Personally I'm not surprised about the Bird. They are probably looking for bikes that changed the game, like the CB 750, not bikes like the Bird that are excellent at just about everything (Birds suck at enduro riding). Sometimes it's the girl (Bird?) that does not stand out that blows your brains out in bed and life, and some of the ones that do stand out are too finicky to put up with for long. Just be happy you have a gem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts