Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've ridden a 1st model ST1300 - it was heavy and had soggy damping - They had some handling fault that I forget - probably the cause of that police crash(?). The owner hated it and just rode it until he traded in on a Ducati.

My pillion didn't like the cold updraft coming up from behind (due the full screen design and no top box)........ I have had top boxes on most of my 17 bikes since forever and learned very early that wobbles are caused by insufficient suspension adjustment - and I never travel light.

My 05 BB doesn't need a steering damper...... , but the oem shockie & fork springs were too soft so I bought an Ohlins + fork spring kit from a guy I knew who had sold his 99BB. I had the shock serviced + a new spring...... nice solo unloaded, nice 2 up, and crank the remote adjuster up for max load with Givi cases and 50Ltr top box = easy peasy. Tyres up to 36/38f 40-42r at max load & seasonal temps. Ohlins is adjustable for compression and rebound damping (and had instructions on measuring and setting correct spring sag)........ highly recommended, but very pricey unless you get one used and overhaul it.

PS I also have Helibar 2" risers on, so the front forks are 6mm up through the steering clamps - never scraped anything more than my boot toe....... and my BB was quick in the corners, especially with my girl on the back seat - she only ever held on when I braked (we had intercom & CB radio comms which helped a lot), and she was taller than me (and prettier), so she could see clearly over my numbskull in a helmet, so she knew what was coming and I never felt her 50kg weight......

Anyway, I digress, panniers and top case didn't cause any handling issues with the suspension upgraded to suit. Maybe some airstream at extreme licence losing speeds, but I've found the Givi 40Ltr cases to be very aerodynamic and the 50Ltr top case is controlled by a passenger or extra luggage on the back seat. It's a bit wiiide at the back with the cases on (1.1m).....

The FI BB is not as powerful as the carb version, but it has plenty of mid range and is so easy to live with maintenance wise. It also has 2 ltrs extra fuel capacity due no bulky carbies.

(y)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I think there are just so many variables it can be hard to say what is correct :unsure: :unsure:

When I bought my 98 with ~32k and original suspension on it in 06 it had Non Fango panniers, top box & touring screen and I had her up to ~180kmh on the test ride with no issues ;)

Then a month or so later I had her up to ~220kmh with my ~145kg, the missus's ~85kg and some fruit/water/handbag etc in the TB again with no problems (y)

A year or so later I had it up to 285kmh with just the TB on and apart from the front getting a bit light on the undulating road she was rock solid although I'd replaced the rear shock with an upgraded 900RR shock by then :oops:

The only time I've had any shakes or swaying is when I ran Shinko 005's and it would shake it's head under deceleration from ~80kmh and badly if you took your hands off the bars, all the rest of the time I've either run Pilot Road's f&r or Pilot Power f/Pilot Road's (1-3) on the rear :cool:

21 - 22 of 22 Posts