Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of the few who actually read the manuals that come with stuff.

So, in the official CBR1100XX users manual I read this:

Really?

Or is it just FUD and CMA. I assume this is so...

You guys; what are your experiences on the subject of loading up yer bike when going touring?
Optimal placement of weight, how to keep petrol costs down by packing wisely, that sort of stuff.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,864 Posts
Petrol cost is mostly in the art of "Wrist Control"

I have a GIVI V56 or V57 I forget and had two ground pads, two back pack 20°F sleeping bags and a few small things in it. Mostly light weight bulky stuff.
In the two E41 side bags were a drone kit all in a backpack and my pack with Gopro and other cameras. Clothes, some tools and chain cleaning and lubing stuff and tools to adjust the chain. Going from Illinois to Colorado at 80 mph with a strong cross wind no problems. Doing an even 110 for two hrs with no wind no problem. My 18 yr old son was riding the XX later that day and I was on the ST1300 for a while... as we were swapping bikes that trip.
He got behind and pinned the throttle and got up to 184 mph (44 tooth rear sprocket) indicated and got into a death wobble. He rode it out and got down to 150 mph indicated and it smoothed out and he had caught up with me and never told me for two and half years.
Has a Vario adjustable windshield too. So it's pretty steady at speed below 150 mph indicated. I read a thread on here where a guy forgot he had a top box on and raced a guy up to 150 mph. Got home and realized that he had it on and never knew it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Petrol cost is mostly in the art of "Wrist Control"

I have a GIVI V56 or V57. Mostly light weight bulky stuff.
In the two E41 side bags were a lot.
Going from Illinois to Colorado at 80 mph with a strong cross wind no problems. Doing an even 110 for two hrs with no wind no problem.
Check. You, running bigger boxes and higher-than-Honda-recommended speed without issues tells me it's CMA.
My 18 yr old son was riding the XX later that day ...
He got behind and pinned the throttle and got up to 184 mph (44 tooth rear sprocket) indicated and got into a death wobble. He rode it out and got down to 150 mph indicated and it smoothed out and he had caught up with me and never told me for two and half years.
Kids... Seriously, getting a wobble at high speed is no fun. He should consider himself one lucky young man right there.
Has a Vario adjustable windshield too. So it's pretty steady at speed below 150 mph indicated. I read a thread on here where a guy forgot he had a top box on and raced a guy up to 150 mph. Got home and realized that he had it on and never knew it.
LOL.

Okay, I'm reassured. This means there should be no issues doing ~130 mph with luggage. Actually, the missus may end up being the limiting factor :)

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,864 Posts
Check. You, running bigger boxes and higher-than-Honda-recommended speed without issues tells me it's CMA.

Kids... Seriously, getting a wobble at high speed is no fun. He should consider himself one lucky young man right there.

LOL.

Okay, I'm reassured. This means there should be no issues doing ~130 mph with luggage Actually, the missus may end up being the limiting factor :)
I did tell him he is lucky to be alive. He agreed. I gave him the ST1300 as a wedding present. His passenger will definitely be his limiter. Plus he is 4 years older and I believe he was scared to death and happy to be alive.

I rip up to 130 mph for short distances quite a bit and no issues and I am 6'3" and 275 pounds...except gas doesn't last as long!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've had the wobbles on my Bird and can definitely say its caused by the Givi top box and that is probably why Honda do not sell them as part of a touring kit just the panniers.
But she gets loaded up with no real problems and I have attached a pic although I have got it down to all going in the Outboard Ninja bag now.
Attached pic is how it used to be...

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I've run 110 115 corrected with givi top case on the wing rack and misses on the back coming down out of the mountains and across the plains with no issues at all. Total waste like 25 miles on that little RIP and it was like we were rolling at 85. We run 85 here all the time double with and without luggage and still get in the upper 30's per miles gallon and silky smooth. The only mod I have to mention is an ohlins that's respring for our combined weight and 40 to 50 lbs of baggage weight.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
This means there should be no issues doing ~130 mph with luggage.
I have certainly seen those figures with 2 Ventura sacks on the back (most of the weight over the pillion) and had no ill effects.
I may (or may not) have seen another 40mph indicated when I had 2 panniers and a tail pack loaded with building tools when abroad and I was late for a ferry, a mind focusing event when you have done your back in can hardly walk and it is raining.

Still here, still smiling so it must be OK. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I've logged some 150mph runs with soft side luggage and a top box. No problem as long as nothing silly happens, but that's not a good bet with a motorcycle. Addition of a top box is pretty much proven to induce mild controllable headshake, and is the reason my luggaged XX's have steering dampers.

XX up around 1100 pounds gross wt needs a lot more air in the tires. We went cross country with my FJR1300 just a bit over 1300 lb gross wt. That's Gold Wing territory. Should have had a trailer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have certainly seen those figures with 2 Ventura sacks on the back and had no ill effects.
I may (or may not) have seen another 40mph indicated <snip> a mind focusing event when you have done your back in can hardly walk and it is raining.
Yeah - I haven't got any good memories riding with topboxes either - but recall I come from a significantly smaller bike, so I'm still hoping the 'bird will do better.
Hehe. If at all possible, avoid mind focusing situations like those. No fun. I believe the closest I've ever been to something similar was 23 hours into my ride and still 50 km to go - then getting stuck in downtown traffic with a hard deadline one hour away. Desperation creeps in and you're completely knackered, meaning you start making bad decisions and the whole affair snowballs into something ugly. Near escape, but I made it. Phew.
I've logged some 150mph runs with soft side luggage and a top box. Addition of a top box is pretty much proven to induce mild controllable headshake.
Topboxes aren't all they're made out to be. Considering a 35 liter drybag from SW Motech as replacement.
Best thing that can be said about soft panniers is that they're good in congestion! And since there's a lot of congestion, I consider soft panniers an asset while on the move.
On the topic of congestion: I know a former London motorbike courier. With him, congestion goes like this:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
"Topboxes aren't all they're made out to be."

A top box isn't just a top box. They're also a backrest.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Cheers all,

185kg gross load is about right - those I know that overloaded their BB's bent their rear subframes....... when I was two up with Givi E41 cases and 50L top case my load was rider 75kg + passenger 55kg + 3x5kg Givi cases 15kg + wing rack 5kg + 10kg luggage per case + 5kg in tank bag = 185kg ......... so I was always close to the max load yet never bent the subframe or had any handling issues (I was running Ohilns shock and heavier fork springs). I had a CB radio intercom under the seat and some extra tools so that probably added another 5kg, but who's counting :LOL:. I should check the manual, but i thought my 05 was 200kg max load capacity.....

I think Honda covers their legal liability buy excluding non Honda options as unsafe, but my Givi cases were very aerodynamic and didn't affect fuel range at sensible speeds with a passenger smoothing out the airflow and doing the navigation. My 05 looked similar to the redbird above with three cases attached and handled the load with aplomb.

Sadly I never did get a pic in 'full dress', but I dug this one up just recently...... of my 02 on a weekender with light gear rack.......

(y)

Attachments

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a full Givi touring set on my bike and just want to add that I do not get any problems whatsoever until you crank her up and high speed comes into the equation that is when I have had the wobbles.
Brings to mind the UK police officer who was killed on his ST1300 and saw the bike withdrawn from many Police forces in the UK . After this tragic accident many ST1300 ( Pan European ) owners also said they had got into the death wobble as the bike started flexing at high speed with a top box although Honda claim they could never recreate the fault.
I don't get this when the hard luggage is not on the bike and I have not had any problems with the kit loaded up but there again I don't attempt high speeds and its also worth baring in mind that the kit is nowhere near the weight of a pillion.
Stormbringer... Check out Lomo bags. They make gear for the kayaking/canoeing fraternity but their bags are brilliant , really well made and sold so well that they introduced a motorcyclist range, oh and a lot cheaper than Ortileb for example.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<snip> owners also said they had got into the death wobble as the bike started flexing at high speed with a top box
<snip> also worth baring in mind that the kit is nowhere near the weight of a pillion.
<snip> Check out Lomo bags. They make gear for the kayaking/canoeing fraternity but their bags are brilliant
I'd take a drybag over a topbox any day. It acts like a pillion, not connected to the bike in the same way that a topbox is - and that IMO is part of why topboxes have a rep for causing wobbles and tankslappers. They're 'part of the bike' and situated at one of the bike's extremes. Not good.
I mean; where would you rather store your big fat 4-kilo chainlock: Underseat behind the engine (central, low down) or on top of the goods in your topbox (far from gravitational center)?

Thank you for the link to kit. Much appreciated. So many different approaches exist - here's an inspirational link in return:

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Ive snapped off the rear sub frame at the back,
But I was loaded very heavily, and a pillion,

·
Registered
404 Posts
im getting a efi from germany and the rider weighed 130 kg and the pax 110,, if it can take that then it can take anything...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts