Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Guys
as ive been restoring some bikes and the seals ( for example the float chamer seals ) get dried out and hard and can crack
ive had some positive results using a mix of xylene terpentine and naptha to soften seals
the naptha and xylene serves to open up the pores and the terpentine works its way in a restores elasticity
will not bring back the dead but can be of use those seals are way too expensive
have fun
paul

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the alcohol but i dont know where in the eu i can find wintergreen oil ill have to look it up
thanks Bees

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Your welcome.
Word of caution have a container you can cap. It's a bit cough cough lol aromatic. And don't do it inside the house. Well actually it does smell pretty good course you won't smell anything else for a day or more lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
Ichiban videos are generally hillarious .......... don't take everything as being true though! They have some excellent videos on machining and metal magic, always hilarious!

Anyway back to the subject.
The carb rubbers on my xl600 are very hard, so hard that with thumb and finger pressure I cannot make them deflect 1mm. These parts are of course unobtainable from Honda now so they will have to be brought back from the dead.
I am waiting for delivery of wintergreen oil (post is slow due to lockdown) although a can of Xylene is sitting here.

cbrpaul you can find wintergreen oil on Ebay either under aromatherapy (expensive) and either natural or synthetic from industrial chemical suppliers, worth checking under its chemical name Methyl Salicylate.

I was going to post my 'results' when I get the job done but this thread has beaten me to it. Could be of use to carbie Birds was my line of thought.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ichiban videos are generally hillarious .......... don't take everything as being true though! They have some excellent videos on machining and metal magic, always hilarious!

Anyway back to the subject.
The carb rubbers on my xl600 are very hard, so hard that with thumb and finger pressure I cannot make them deflect 1mm. These parts are of course unobtainable from Honda now so they will have to be brought back from the dead.
I am waiting for delivery of wintergreen oil (post is slow due to lockdown) although a can of Xylene is sitting here.

cbrpaul you can find wintergreen oil on Ebay either under aromatherapy (expensive) and either natural or synthetic from industrial chemical suppliers, worth checking under its chemical name Methyl Salicylate.

I was going to post my 'results' when I get the job done but this thread has beaten me to it. Could be of use to carbie Birds was my line of thought.
thanks Duck
i have see ebay uk has sellers in manchester
when BJ allows people to travel again ill pop by and pick up a pot
in the vid the guy used several other ingredients including a kind of sachet of "mikuni powder " as well as chalk
im wondering what that is and what the advantage is ...
in the meantime im talking to a person in HK who supposedly has the float chamber seals for the xx for not crazy money
ill see if they turn out to be useful and will revert
paul

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,486 Posts
I remember when I was restoring a Z1900A, i was recommended glycerine. TBH I can't remember if it worked, but it might be on someone's blog somewhere.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
glycerine will work well on still soft rubber, and preserve it, if its hard then you need a kind of thinner like wintergreen and to re - anneal the rubber at about 70 deg c

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the concoction of turps and a bit of xylene and naptha seems to be working
the seals that were rock hard are now pliable after 2 days soaking
ill leave them in 2 more days and then try to re use them

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
Well my softening up exercise worked well. A day ago the carb rubbers were solid, finger pressure had no effect
. A day in 2 parts Xylene 1 part Wintergreen oil and they are as flexible as new. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice result
im doing a bunch if xx intake rubbers and fuel lines , rock hard, they will sit 4 days in turps and we will see the result

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
Do think its a temporary fix duck?
In all honesty I have no idea. I can't imagine the 'fix' will last as long as new rubbers would but after another 24 hours hardening hasn't settled in so far!
With my XL the choice of new rubbers doesn't, exist new parts are not obtainable since this is a +30 year old bike.

The reason I posted this info here is that a lot of Birds are now +20 years old, carb and injection rubbers will be rock solid by now. I know I have struggled fitting carbs and inj on other bikes with solid rubbers and it can be a real pain ......... then you overtighten the clips trying to get an airtight seal. So even if the softening was to only last for a matter of days/weeks (I believe it will be longer) there will be plenty of time to refit the carbs / inj and get a good seal.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well after 3 days all the rubber is soft
i cleaned the surface with benzine and tye look pretty much as new
i have coated the rubber with glycerine as a preservative and put silicone grease on the mating joints to easy entry on the spigots
so that job is done
now i have a question
anyone know a reasonably price source for those pilot screw washers and o rings
ive lost a couple ...
paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts