Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum (and the Blackbird) however id really appreciate a little advice pls guys,
read heaps of reviews and they're all saying raise the bars and lower the pegs for long distance comfort.
Ive had a look and I can get either 25mm or 40mm lowered pegs.
Has anyone purchased either of these and which would they recommend? is 40mm too much? is 25mm enough?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

·
Registered
439 Posts
You don't have that much clearance to lower the pegs before hitting the exhaust pipes pre cans. Carbies have narrower pipes in that region (efi bikes have fatter pipes there to accommodate the cats).

I lowered (can't recall by how much but it certainly wasn't 4cm). I'm a carbie bike but with cat efi exhausts (to comply with London ULEZ...ultra low emission zone). My lowered pegs are bang on touching the fatter pipes.

Post pics of the two products you are looking at (as the config may make all the difference) plus have a quick measure re how much clearance you think you have.

I'll check if my records go back enough to state my drop ( pretty sure of the +2cm order defo not 4+ on the set up I bought)

Rgds Mallow1

·
Super Moderator
12,584 Posts
The Jaws system drops about an inch from memory.
Yes about an inch. When I was milling up my own I tried to get a bigger drop but failed miserably, cans in the way no matter what I tried.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Fuzzy memory...I certainly bought the Jaws bar risers (love em, big tick in box, not tried the VFR bars yet but do have a set in hand) and "think" that's where my peg lowering kit came from too. So if 1" that's 2.54cm.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have peg lowers, had to move the gear lever round one notch on the spline and adjust the brake lever down.
I had to take off the check nut off to get the lever low enough.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,522 Posts
I have peg lowers, had to move the gear lever round one notch on the spline and adjust the brake lever down.
I had to take off the check nut off to get the lever low enough.
True, and I always found the brake lever sat too high anyway. Combine that with the lowered pegs and having dropfoot on my right foot, I removed the check nut, and 'massaged' a bend into the brake lever via a gas torch..

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi Licence Revoked,

Punts and PBZ make very valid observations. The built in adjusters only provide a certain amount of repositioning of both levers. How much is needed very much depends upon the individual. If you have only done the 1"/ 2.5cm drop and have great flex in your ankles (and boots) etc none "may" be needed.

I haven't had to change mine following the 2.5 cm drop as I've yet to stiffen up in my old age. No issue on the gear lever at all though in truth the brake is annoying me a touch (so may well follow PBZ re max adjustment plus poss a touch bend).

If you find a way to do a 4cm drop that clears the exhaust then the lever positions will certainly need addressing too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Licence Revoked. I too am very new here, and only been a BB owner since the 10th and already put over 2000 long distance road miles on her. absolutely love it...would i like to raise the bars? possibly, but then i worry it wont feel right...would i like to lower the pegs? no. but then at 49 I think i am fairly spritely and hope to continue to be this way. can totally understand others wanting to do it however - we are all individuals after all. but sadly i cannot help you with parts locations etc like the other awesome blokes in here, except to say, wanna come for a ride? hahaha

·
Registered
431 Posts
Why spend money on a lowering kit
You can do it almost for free using a long 8 mm bolt ...done on my 3 bikes works perfect

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ahh, simple and effective !

But you only get one corner on the peg to act as stop, is that enough if you put some weight on it ?
Or will it slope downwards after some time ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts