Honda CBR XX Forum banner

121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'm yet to read a successful "fix" after doing the loom fix and I've been doing a lot of reading!! Please let me know if I've missed a successful fix. I'm in the loom now cleaning up the same terminals. I've had the knock sensor fault code flashing at me for a long time and have been putting the loom fix off until I'm "in the area". I'm now fitting a new 2nd hand Ohlins and have been mucking around with mounting the reservoir (later shock in older bike). I've stripped the back end off the bike and thought, "I'm in the area" I may as well pull the loom out and have a go. Some of the terminals were oxidised so set about cleaning them. I'm not going to chop and solder anything. I'll just see what happens with the FI light.
Greetings Fi light Guy,

Dude, all U have to do so that there is no more troubles is cut and SOLDER the apropreate wires together.
Strip them back and if U got black corrosion on the strands clean that of with fine sand paper (muratic acid works wonders)
MUST have solder flux and a hot iron.

"No more troubles" as The Duck says.

STex, out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi just read your post , the low down rattle is your clutch could b either the tension springs or the large spring washers that fit on before the main clutch , ive had this in the two birds ive had and a VFR 800 vetec its very unlikely it will be the clutch its self but hey you may as well change it all anyway confirm by pulling in the clutch on normal idle speed the noise should go away , hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: 1999-2000 Honda CBR XX Flashing FI Light Fix

Hi im Chris i have read your post with interest ,i have a 2001 Bird but recently purchased a 2000 yr as a second Bird unfortunately he didnt tell me about this issue with the wiring after taking all the plastics off for a complete respray i found the butchered none exiting plug , i realised the green were earths but i can not trace the yellow/red and the white/green did you also join the corresponding colours or left them as single cables , the fuel pump does not prime and ive also noticed the ign has been changed all the keys fit , i have checked the pump off the bike (knackered) but i want to sort this wiring before i go any further i thank you for reading this

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Best I could tell U about this Dude is download the manuel from this site and search out the wiring.
I have a 99 so not the same.
seems GinaMcD had the same issue but don't quit remember the findings.

STex, out

·
Registered
41 Posts

Mines a '99, have a look at the pictures of my wire colours in my post on page 7, they might be the same...
With the fuel pump also check the pins on the ecu plug under the tail cover. Mine were corroded and needed cleaning.
Good luck...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Consensus here was that there will be some differences in the wiring from bike-to-bike. Advice I was given was to make sure to join the matching colors together as described in the instructions, however many there are, and seal it back up.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts

Mines a '99, have a look at the pictures of my wire colours in my post on page 7, they might be the same...
With the fuel pump also check the pins on the ecu plug under the tail cover. Mine were corroded and needed cleaning.
Good luck...
Echelon:thumb: your the man,,,
posted them pix's way back then, post #100

Been so long that i did this forgot,,, yes just match colors as McD said

didn't know 99 and 2000 were the same, so now I do.

STex, out

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, I finally got around to doing the loom fix. I have a 1999 and got it last March with 23,334 miles. The F1 light came on around June, with no issues. I did the re-set thing and it worked for a few days then re-appeared. It comes on after I ride about a 1/4 mile and stays on. The bike runs beautifully, NO issues what so ever. This past Sat. /17/2015 I did the loom solder fix. The bike has 38,880 miles on her today. The light is back on and steady. I'm going to try the Electrical spray clean on all the connectors and ECU in the tail section as I read in some of the posts and see if that fixes it. If not , either a piece of cut round green masking tape with F1 inked on it or remove the bulb. My "99" had 18 wires in the loom front. 3 green 3 white and 2 yllw/red. Thanks for all the posts people.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Recon then it the connectors on the ECU module....less your light is blinking is it?

STex, out

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey all, I just did the solder fix on Sunday. I had big time water intrusion of the harness, leaked out about 3 ounces of water! Went through the low part of the harness and resealed everything up pretty good. One of the P.O.'s hacked up the rear inner fender/splash guard pretty good so that's where I figure the water was coming from or the bike spent it's life outside uncovered. I found a few broken wires near the ECU that I've repaired. It idles and revs good now with no FI light, no way to road test it with 16"' of snow on the ground now.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It idles and revs good now with no FI light, no way to road test it with 16"' of snow on the ground now.
Just 16"?? We're staring at a bit over 50" on the ground, with another two storms due to dump more on us over the next five days!

I think I put about 4 or 5,000 more miles on the bike after the loom fix without so much as a flicker from the FI light. Hopefully the rest of you who are having continuing problems get it sorted out!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did the loom fix a while back and it's held up good. Just randomly, however, the other day my FI light started flickering. This seemed to happen when the radiator fan came while sitting at a stoplight. The bird never turned off on me but was waiting for it. I may end up doing hardwire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just wondering if the wires absolutely have to be wired together. Would it not work if I twisted the pairs together, slab some die electric grease, throw on a threaded wire connector like the one shown, heat shrink, and electrical tape?

$_35.jpg

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Just wondering if the wires absolutely have to be wired together. Would it not work if I twisted the pairs together, slab some die electric grease, throw on a threaded wire connector like the one shown, heat shrink, and electrical tape?

View attachment 55128
Yep that will work. Longevity No.

I would say twist them up right now so U can get on with your ride.
When she shows her ugly head again, just solder them wires together.

Ride on Brother.
STex

·
Registered
4 Posts
I decided to do this after I figured this must be the problem. I took one look at the block which was saturating wet and scrapped the idea of cleaning it. Moved on to stripping and soldering.
Most of the wires were that badly corroded I ended up stripping them back in the loom and replacing them. Al together I'd say I used a foot and a half of wire to replace all that I had to loose. The green earth's weren't so much of a problem as I just extended the master earth and used two crimps to join up all the smaller earth's.
The best part about doing it this way is that I then wrapped everything back into the loom and was left with a straight forward tidy no bulges loom. The worst part is it took nearly 10 hours. Didn't help that the solder available was pure shyt.

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Irish weather at its best oisinB, and a lot of it appears to have taken residence in the loom on your bike.

The worst part is it took nearly 10 hours.
that sir is an understatement.....
You haven't said if this has cured your problem, I really hope it has!

Edit just spotted your introduction :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hah, sorry. Yes this most certainly has fixed my problem. Can't say for certain bout the long term but now it goes up to eleven

·
Registered
115 Posts
How did I miss this thread...lol
Can anyone tell me if this affects later bikes and where the test connector was repositioned to, or where it might be on a 2005 bike?

And whilst reading I kept thinking 'why no recall for this issue?'

121 - 140 of 180 Posts