·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well, I liked how the Sidi Cobra GT looked and the extra protection of the Achilles tendon but I went and had my feet measured today. 13 and for width was between a D and E. They say the Sidi's are a C for fit so that knocks them out of contention. So sad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok, I made my choice and ordered some boots.
Just so all y'all know. I looked at every boot you recommended. I wanted the Sidi Cobra for the invertabra system. Got my foot measured and at a 13 Medium or 13 D it was to wide for the Dainese or the Sidi. Next I eliminated the AStar super tour GT. Only two left Daytona and TCX. Two different TCX boots. All are excellent and these two brands fit my foot better. I went with the Daytona Road Star GTX in 47 wide.
I will let you know when they arrive and give a review of their performance.
Thanks,
Guy

Reactions: badgerbeater

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Only took two days to get them from RevZilla. Unfortunately I have to send them back. I need one size smaller and definitely do not need the wide! I could put on a really thick wool sock as a spacer maybe!?

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Today the other pair of boots came in. 46 and not wide. They were 46 M. Same as my hiking boots. How come they don't advertise a Medium. Didn't have to adjust the back velcro part of the boot if my pants are outside. If tucked in then had to adjust the back panel. My Vasque hikers are USA 12 M, Europe 46, CM 30, UK 11. These fit snug and when I first put them on everything felt great ... except right under the ball of my foot. Felt funny. Have had them on for an hour in the house and the left feels better and my right foot is slightly larger. Feels like the insole is very thin and maybe I am feeling the boot sole/tread? I will wear them around the house in the evenings for a few days so no dirt on them and I can return them if needed. My wife likes the way the boots look. That's me, a fashion guru! Hah!
Can you see those ridges on the bottom of the insole. There are corresponding indents in the top of the sole. I think that's what I am feeling. I have some thin airfeet insoles that are awesome. Think I will try those in these boots.
Hope this may have helped someone. Will let you know what I decide shortly.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Cowhide boots that expensive should feel right in next to no time and not need different insoles surely? I'd be disappointed if that was me, they 'look' as if they'd feel like slippers from the get go which is what you'd expect from a premium product. Hopefully they'll pan out for you.
held_boots_corte.jpg
I've decided on a pair of these next, a bit unconventional but they look so comfortable.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Cowhide boots that expensive should feel right in next to no time and not need different insoles surely? I'd be disappointed if that was me, they 'look' as if they'd feel like slippers from the get go which is what you'd expect from a premium product. Hopefully they'll pan out for you.
View attachment 90993
I've decided on a pair of these next, a bit unconventional but they look so comfortable.
I agree.
I believe that it is due to my right foot being almost a half size larger. Put the other insole in and instantly I had more room and it felt great. Jury is still out...

Reactions: ziplex

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Ok, I wore these boots around the house on carpet for two evenings. Today I put in my air feet classic gel insoles and got on the bike and rode into town 5 miles and washed the Arkansas dust and bugs off the bike and forgot that I had them on until I got home. Have been doing piddly tasks like organizing stuff. Finding the small stuff you stash away and am organizing it. Had the Daytona boots on the whole time. Just great! Leaving in two weeks for a 3 week motorcycle trip. Will let everyone know how they handle hot,cold,wet riding.

Reactions: ziplex

·
Registered
754 Posts
+1 on the Daytona.

I am a happy owner of their Sport EVO GTX for the last 6 years. Happy, dry feet. Still solid after 100,000 km in all kinds of weather.

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
If you read my thread on preparing for my trip you already know what I think of the boots. Very comfortable and I was riding through all sorts of temps and conditions. First two days 98 degrees and fairly humid. 3rd and 4th day dry and temps from 93 to 49 degrees. Next 6 days from 99 and mostly around 106 but 111 to 113 for a day in the southwest. Then down to 60 degrees along the California coast. Then northwest temps around 60 to 80 degrees. Then a 50 degree day in the mountains and some more humid 85 degree days going home.
All through this feet were comfortable and they never felt cold or hot. Warm in 113 degree heat but not hot or sweaty. One downpour in western Montana when going over a pass...feet warm and dry. Sole was pliable and had no problem walking around in them when sightseeing or when taking stuff off the bike and hauling it into the hotel for the night.
Over all I am very happy with these boots. As I said in the thread I wanted the SIDI Cobra Goretex boots but they were to narrow. Maybe I would have hated them? The Daytona's are comfortable, warm when cold and not hot or sweaty when it is very hot out. Can wear them in somewhere with my jeans over them and they don't stick out in the crowd. I don't have any complaints about them at all. Did 6800 miles in 20 days.
Guy

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So here it is going into winter. I wanted to run the old gas out of the bike and put in some 91 octane pure gas (as in no alcohol in the gas) it was 35F and at night. During the summer the boots have broken in and are very comfortable and I have more room in them as they have loosened a bit while breaking in. I went for a total of 80 miles and much of it at 75 to 85 MPH on the highway. At 40 miles I noticed that my feet were starting to get chilled. I was wearing a pair of Under Armor wool blend socks, not real thick and warm but a little bit better than cotton. At 48 miles I stopped at the Honda shop for some parts that were in. Stayed for maybe 20 minutes then hopped back on the bike and turned my gloves and jacket liner on high this time. Doing 80 the gloves never felt hot but my hands were never feeling cold or hot/sweaty, just comfortable. I had on my Roadcrafter by Aerostich and the liner and a light sweater. my core was warm. When I got home 34 miles later my legs were cool and my feet were definitely chilled. Could have done more but I had the new gas in and parts. I am not usually out in 35F weather for 80 miles very often. If I am going the distance in those temps I will have on my heated socks and will be just fine. So have gone from 90's F to 39 for a while going over the mountains to 113F while touring and boots just fine. Extended cold weather high speed riding boots get chilly. Only been riding in one down pour and feet dry. The curved zipper can be a pain to zip up sometimes. The reason they curved it was so if you are scrapping down the road the road cannot unzip the zipper. All in all I am happy with them.

Reactions: TheDuck

·
Registered
144 Posts
Late to this thread but read it through a couple weeks ago as I was going to buy some new boots.
I've been wearing jungle boots for decades and it is time to take the next step, so to speak.

Spent several evenings using the Revzilla site as my means of becoming more informed about features and value. Finally settled on Sidi Black Rain - affordable at $174; decent toe, heel, ankle & shin protection; and likely waterproof enough for the little rain we see here in the Southwest.
I put them on in the living room and they were snug. Wore them watching TV for a couple nights to see if my feet & new boots could become friends. Did several minutes of carpet-walking during TV commercials and they seemed to be coming along.

Took my bride to lunch about 30 miles away, about 2 hours in boots with some walking. Coming along pretty nicely.
Last Friday we did a pie run to Julian - 175 miles of riding plus walking. I don't think I even noticed the boots once.

Glad I took time to investigate & experiment. Quality, comfort, decent protection, and a price I can live with.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So about the curved zipper being a pain to zip up... I have learned that it is only when I tuck my jeans inside the boots and the boots are tight around my calf. If boots are adjusted for having my jeans inside then no more problems. Happy about that! A year later and never a problem and very comfortable walking or riding. When I get into the twisties and I have the balls of my feet on the pegs so I can shift quickly from one side of the bike to the other I never slip and I have a good feel for the pegs through the sole of the boot.

·
BirdDog
561 Posts
https://www.alpinestars.com/web-gtx-boot

On my third pair in twenty years...this current pair I just bought are greatly improved, roomier and I can zip my leathers into the boot with no problem. Tested 5000 miles in ALL weather conditions already this season! I found mine on eBay for under 200 bucks! Size 47

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Update: it's now into the 4th riding season and have been very happy with these boots. No regrets.

·
BirdDog
561 Posts
Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex Boots

True to size…good from 30 - 100 degrees, warm/cool and waterproof. Comfortable off the bike. I’ve owned 3 pair in 25 years 200,000 miles!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts