Honda CBR XX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good point Duck, they are bulky but I use dri rider rain pants which are quite a loose fit. In very wet conditions I just throw these over what ever riding gear I'm wearing at the time which is mainly leathers along with the matching rain jacket, works well and keeps me dry. I sure tested this out on my 2016 GP trip to PI!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I used to use Alpinstars SMX boots (SMX3's) before switching to the Sidi's that I now use. Great boots for riding in but a few things that I found, the shin armour is bulky and it proved difficult to get inside my Gore-Tex trousers in winter and the Velcro lost its 'stick' quickly but more importantly the fit around the calf was never right for me, too loose even when pulled as tight as possible.

... and that's the point, boots like helmets and gloves are very much a 'personal fit' purchase, so XXGUY my recommendation is to compile a list of contenders and then try them on before buying.
I am making a list. Just have to find someplace that stocks them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Well I think I have it and much credit goes to all of you. You gave me brands/manufacturers to check out and that shortened the list. I looked at the alpine boots including the smx-6. I just want a little more protection than that and the Gore-Tex boot isn't available in the USA. After looking at boots from several brands I realized that I didn't want straps or buckles. Straps I figured would be just a pain in the neck after a while and I wouldn't have the patience if I am going to be wearing these day in and day out. The SIDI boots grabbed my attention too and I believe that I am going to go with the Sidi Cobra Gore-Tex boot. It has a good level of protection but not to much and somewhat subtle. I liked the vertebra system on the back for the Achilles tendon and calf support. Alpinestar from what I saw didn't have anything like that unless you want a full race boot. I like the fact that these boots can be resoled and from you guys they are comfortable enough to do some sightseeing in. Both alpine and Sidi are good. This just fits what I had in my mind. I could be totally wrong. If I am then someone will get a good boot in the for sale section. I don't think that I will ever be a DaveJB in that area though! Lol. Revzilla said it was a full grain leather upper but on the Sidi site they said it was a full grain microfiber upper? Didn't know microfiber had full grain just threads! Now need to find out where the best price is but it looks as if $350 USD is about the normal price. revzilla or twisted throttle are known for there customer service. anywhere else?

Reactions: javmac68

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sounds like you've made a decision, and hopefully they fit. However, I'll cast another vote goretex TCX boots. I did over 100,000 on-bike miles and who knows how many walking/sightseeing miles on my first pair. Now two years in on the second pair. They run a bit wider than some of the other European brands, so if the others end up being too narrow, give the TCXs a try.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Sounds like you've made a decision, and hopefully they fit. However, I'll cast another vote goretex TCX boots. I did over 100,000 on-bike miles and who knows how many walking/sightseeing miles on my first pair. Now two years in on the second pair. They run a bit wider than some of the other European brands, so if the others end up being too narrow, give the TCXs a try.
Well let me go look at them...
Well those TCX Evo tours look nice. High praise from the guys at Revzilla too.
Argh, thanks Gina...

Reactions: GinaMcD

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
If your going mail order I'd suggest (as noted in my opening post) ..... MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More! ..... if they carry what your after. I think they deal in mostly "last years model" rather then current model year product, but could be corrected on that. This may afford you some savings perhaps.
I can only back up Ducks comment about "..trying them on before purchase." That ten year old+ pair of A-stars I had are the bench mark for size and fit that I used to buy the TCX Evo Gore-Tex last week. MGDC do a very good job (I think) of describing the relative fit of most of their product lines as "one brand versus the other brands", but you need that real world reference point first, so try something on to get your base line fit if going mail order.

Thanks Gina for yet another positive review of the TCX Gore-Tex wares.

T.

·
Administrator
12,876 Posts
The TCX Gore-Tex boots always come at or near the top of every review/test that I have read so should be included as a contender. I can't comment further on them because I have never tried a pair on. Interesting to read that they are a slightly wider fit (thanks Gina) IMHO this would make them similar in fit to the A Stars, generally Sidi's are on the narrower fit ..... and that's what fits me best.

Reactions: meta

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having big feet , I struggled to find proper waterproof real leather boots that fitted me and would last me for years, I'd previously bought cheap boots from bike shows which were leather " coated " and were waterproof for a couple of months. Having read reports I got a pair of Richa enduro type boots which have been brilliant in lots of continuous rain and camping in long grass. the only thing to bear in mind is to buy a size larger than usual, I bought UK 14 and they fit my 13 's perfectly, plus the service from sportbikes shop ( part of MCN ) is spot on , I paid just under £100 , well my partner did , so I'm more than happy with them , they have side fastening clips on the outside of the boot and a lovely smooth finish on the inside , so no scuff marks on my 2002 black blackbird, Yours Jedro.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can recommend the Daytona Star GTX Boots. So much so, that I probably wouldn't bother with anything else now. They should last you a few years.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I can recommend the Daytona Star GTX Boots. So much so, that I probably wouldn't bother with anything else now. They should last you a few years.
Thanks I'll check it out

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Sidi Canyon!!!

I've got a couple of other pairs - A-Stars SMXs - but I always put these on. Brilliant... and they stand up to ANY weather. Rugged as balls but super-comfortable too. They fit under pant legs, not over. Just put 600 miles on them this weekend.

Sidi Canyon.jpg

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Where have you been then? Pics? :):)
Went up Manchester way, a few short trips, then across to York and back down to London. Sadly it was to pay respects at the grave of a recently-deceased relative. So I didn't take pics.

Although if I had been in the mood, I could have recorded the 45 minutes or so wait, standing in the middle of the M1 as the race horses that had escaped from their horsebox were exercised before they could be put back in. I guess they were valuable. Apparently they must be relaxed before they can be put back in. Not one proper policeman on the scene. The rentacops must have been having a field day. 20 miles of full-stop traffic in both directions. Filtering through that lot was a hoot, let me tell ya. People opening doors getting in and out of their vehicles. It's when an open Akrapovic comes in very handy. But I was not what you'd call "in a good mood" and neither was anyone else. The camera stayed in the pannier!

Nice weather at least! :)

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Went up Manchester way, a few short trips, then across to York and back down to London. Sadly it was to pay respects at the grave of a recently-deceased relative. So I didn't take pics.

Although if I had been in the mood, I could have recorded the 45 minutes or so wait, standing in the middle of the M1 as the race horses that had escaped from their horsebox were exercised before they could be put back in. I guess they were valuable. Apparently they must be relaxed before they can be put back in. Not one proper policeman on the scene. The rentacops must have been having a field day. 20 miles of full-stop traffic in both directions. Filtering through that lot was a hoot, let me tell ya. People opening doors getting in and out of their vehicles. It's when an open Akrapovic comes in very handy. But I was not what you'd call "in a good mood" and neither was anyone else. The camera stayed in the pannier!

Nice weather at least! :)
I can understand the mood.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well... this is tougher than I thought. So many good products out there. list so far is
1. Daytona Road Star GTX.
2. Sidi Cobra Gore Tex
3. Dainese TRQ
4. TCX
leaning to the Daytona as of now. Expensive, but I like to buy once and then keep something forever. Don't know if I can re-sole the Daytona's. Haven't been able to find that out yet. I know the Sidi boot can be. I like the Achilles heel protection of the Sidi and I do drag my outer boots coming in to work now and then but the hiking boots I have now aren't showing much wear there. Either way all of them seem to be awesome boots. Now it comes down to fit. I am going to a local shoe store tomorrow that still has the tool to measure your feet for size. Then I will call up Revzilla and talk to one of their gear geeks.
Thanks again for all your input. Will let you know and will post pictures.

·
Administrator
12,876 Posts
Daytona's are 'resoleable', in the UK we have to send them to Germany, don't know the arrangement in the States.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Daytona's are 'resoleable', in the UK we have to send them to Germany, don't know the arrangement in the States.
Thanks, will have to check this out.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts