Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Going on a 3 week odyssey and I have good gloves, an Aerostich Roadcrafter, a Shoei GT-Air, and California Heat heated gear for gear. Now this year I am looking for a really good sport touring boot. I don't want to have to stop for rain and put on a rubber bootie anymore and after high siding the wing I want protection too. I don't want cheap boots as in "get by for a couple of years". I like to buy once and keep something a long time. So in the end I am looking for something that is waterproof, good protection, but I can still get off the bike and take a short hike to see some sights or go into a place and eat. I don't want something with a massive amount of buckles and looks like a motocross boot or a full out racing boot.
Any suggestions or links would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.:O
Guy

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I like my Sidi Way Mega Rain boots. Comfortable for wearing most of the day and stylish enough that you do not look like a storm trooper. Of course since they are waterproof, there is no ventilation so it does get hot. Inside materials are good and walking is no problem.

image.jpg

Not sure If they are still available since I got them on close out a few years ago,but the link below is pretty close and probably replaced the model I had.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...?gclid=CPanpJ2mptMCFcSEswodBS4OQQ#reviews_tab

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I've been running Alpinestars water proof boots since about 1991 and they just failed on me. The right boot sole has delaminated from the underside of the uppers along one edge. They have been fantastic up to this point. I'm gonna get the "Shoe Goo" out and and seal up the separation this week in hopes of a repair. This link will take you to the latest Gore-Tex lined version of the boots I've been using up to this point. They are similar but not identical as my old boots are long since out of production.

Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex Boots - 2015 :: MotorcycleGear.com

My Alpinestars were not Gore-Tex, but still did an awesome job and the fit was near perfect for my US 10.5 sized foot. (Euro spec sized at 45). I found them cool enough in the summer heat and warm enough in the cooler temps of spring and fall. Don't remember a sweaty foot issue at all in warmer temps.

In the mean time I've ordered up a new pair of Gore-Tex lined boots from Motorcycle Gear dot Com. Even as I've talked up the Alpinestars I've decide to try another brand which gets good reviews, the TCX-Explorer Evo Gore-Tex. Hopefully I've not made a mistake. I like the gator'd opening at the zipper which reduces the need for the Velcro flap on the zipper. If not for that I'd be into the A-Stars Web Gore-Tex boot for sure.

TCX Explorer Evo Gore-Tex Boots - 2015 :: MotorcycleGear.com

As MGDC state in their "Our Two Cents" chat,.."anything Gore-Tex will run the cost up between $50.00 to $100.00" as Gore-Tex is still the Water Proof/Breathable material standard for the industry. If the Gore-Tex is that much better then the standard WP material I'm in for a lovely ride this summer.

As in all things, buy the best that you can afford. Just the idea of water proof foot wear is a great addition to your riding gear. No more putting on water proof booties on the side of the road as the rain is coming down on your head.

Beware: Water proof boots are for sure an improvement but you must back up there use with proper rain gear use. Ensure that your riding pants (jeans, leathers, textile armour pants, etc) do not get exposed to the water from road splash ands such. These can wick the water up your pant leg and then your leg funnels that same water down into your boots. I tuck riding gear pant legs into my boots when rain gear is in use to stop this from happening.

T.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well so far you guys have me looking at some good stuff. I have been reading reviews and found the Sidi All Roads.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I just saw Tigre too

·
Administrator
12,876 Posts
Sidi's for me too but I like the B2 https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/26095
I'm on my 3rd pair now and I use them for everything, commuting in the past, long trips abroad, short trips to the shops. Comfortable all day and you can walk distance in them. Protection is good and in spite of riding through torrential rain on many occasions I have never got wet feet.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tigre
the RoadCrafter is a textile all weather one piece riding suit. Water proof.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sidi's for me too but I like the B2 https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/26095
I'm on my 3rd pair now and I use them for everything, commuting in the past, long trips abroad, short trips to the shops. Comfortable all day and you can walk distance in them. Protection is good and in spite of riding through torrential rain on many occasions I have never got wet feet.
How are they in 100 degree weather down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit? Lots of protection and good walking around!

·
Administrator
12,876 Posts
How are they in 100 degree weather down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit? Lots of protection and good walking around!
I've used them in a temperature range of about +30C (86F) (might have been hotter I was in the middle of France!) down to -6C (21F) with one extra pair of socks on and at both of these extremes (for my riding) my feet were comfortable.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sidi OnRoads. I have worn them for 10 years. Very comfortable to ride and walk in. A nice thing about them is that they are easy to resole. I am not sure they make them any more. If you do find them, make sure they are the newer ones with GoreTEx rather than Sympatex lining. They now have a model called the AllRoad which is a bit different.

Something to consider.....supposedly Goretex will replace, or repair, any item that develops a leak, regardless of age.

Here is a writeup on the Onroads
Sidi On Road Gore-Tex Boots - webBikeWorld

and for the new AllRoads

Sidi All Road Gore-Tex Boots Review - webBikeWorld

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've used them in a temperature range of about +30C (86F) (might have been hotter I was in the middle of France!) down to -6C (21F) with one extra pair of socks on and at both of these extremes (for my riding) my feet were comfortable.
They seem to be a European boot. Over here it looks like the Sidi Cobra gore-tex boot is the closest thing to it. Good protection. If I ride in Arizona or high heat in California I may slip on something cooler. I have heated socks now for cold weather!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sidi OnRoads. I have worn them for 10 years. Very comfortable to ride and walk in. A nice thing about them is that they are easy to resole. I am not sure they make them any more. If you do find them, make sure they are the newer ones with GoreTEx rather than Sympatex lining. They now have a model called the AllRoad which is a bit different.

Something to consider.....supposedly Goretex will replace, or repair, any item that develops a leak, regardless of age.

Here is a writeup on the Onroads
Sidi On Road Gore-Tex Boots - webBikeWorld

and for the new AllRoads

Sidi All Road Gore-Tex Boots Review - webBikeWorld
Yes, the All Roads is the Only Road replacement. They are in the top two on my list. #1 right now is the Sidi Cobra gore-tex boot. Yes, I just realized that you can re-sole Sidi boots! That is awesome in my eyes. Can last for years then.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use the same boots as Duck - and on my second pair, wonderful, comfortable, warm and dry and easy to walk in also - something that often isn't considered when buying riding boots.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use the same boots as Duck - and on my second pair, wonderful, comfortable, warm and dry and easy to walk in also - something that often isn't considered when buying riding boots.
Well I am considering it. These will be touring boots too. That means get off and see the sights here and there and I don't want to have to swap foot gear. I may have to change how I dress under the road crafter in Hot weather (>85F) when touring though. These boots and shorts and a TShirt would definitely look out of place! Hahaha. RoadCrafter slips off fast.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dri Rider Boot.
STREET 1.0 BOOT

Very happy with mine, warm and have worn it in a lot of rain with dry feet.

Cheers
Looks good, I want something a bit taller though.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like my Sidi Way Mega Rain boots. Comfortable for wearing most of the day and stylish enough that you do not look like a storm trooper. Of course since they are waterproof, there is no ventilation so it does get hot. Inside materials are good and walking is no problem.

View attachment 88841

Not sure If they are still available since I got them on close out a few years ago,but the link below is pretty close and probably replaced the model I had.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...?gclid=CPanpJ2mptMCFcSEswodBS4OQQ#reviews_tab
Good reviews and that is what I thought I wanted to buy but after getting dumped off on a high side I decided to go with a bit more protection. I do understand the Stormtrooper sentiment though. I do plan on avoiding that or at least all black so it doesn't scream out at people when off the bike.

·
Administrator
12,876 Posts
Alpinestars SMX 6 goretex, awesome boots, I rode in torrential rain and kept absolutely dry. They are very comfortable straight out of the box good protection too
I used to use Alpinstars SMX boots (SMX3's) before switching to the Sidi's that I now use. Great boots for riding in but a few things that I found, the shin armour is bulky and it proved difficult to get inside my Gore-Tex trousers in winter and the Velcro lost its 'stick' quickly but more importantly the fit around the calf was never right for me, too loose even when pulled as tight as possible.

... and that's the point, boots like helmets and gloves are very much a 'personal fit' purchase, so XXGUY my recommendation is to compile a list of contenders and then try them on before buying.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts