Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bird I bought (1997) has once of those keyless caps, and it leaks fumes. Also when I stop hard, fuel leaks out. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket replacement?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Plenty of locking oem replacements on ebay for less than $25. You can get them with an ignition switch if you want them to match.

I have used OEM ones if that's what you want, but the new copies seem to work just fine.

Check ebay item number

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got the cap problem resolved, and found out that the diaphragm on the petcock seems to be leaking. (Previous owner has a hose connected to the leak check port and that hose is where the fuel leak seems to be coming from). I still have gas coming out of the top from under the cap if the tank is more than 1/2 full and I brake. Is there supposed to be an outer seal around the OEM cap as well? And would using a liquid gasket around the edges of my fuel cap damage anything?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Is there supposed to be an outer seal around the OEM cap as well? And would using a liquid gasket around the edges of my fuel cap damage anything?
Just checked Verg and there is a rubber gasket on the cap spring loaded as u push down.
No gasket on mounting ring that bolts to tank if that's what your asking.

Did you replaced the cap with and OEM one?

STex, out

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. I put on an OEM cap, but when I brake hard, fuel comes out from under the mounting ring. I’m trying to figure out what’s going on, because I’m pretty sure that shouldn’t be happening.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Yeah. I put on an OEM cap, but when I brake hard, fuel comes out from under the mounting ring. I’m trying to figure out what’s going on, because I’m pretty sure that shouldn’t be happening.
So you are saying fuel comes out from the mounting ring that mounts the cap to the tank?
If so then the inner cap seal is not sealing the tank and fuel is going in the overflow.
The sealing ring rubber is on a spring slide under the cap. Push it and see if it moves up and springs back.

STex

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The rubber seal on the cap should seal the fuel hole when the caps shut, see if it's touching all round by putting a smear of grease on filler hole and shutting, open and see if it transfers, if not try to work out why, may not be central.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Well at this point I have no more help.
The tank rim had rust and black thing. How doe's the rubber ring feel as in soft.
When U push the cap on does the key spring back as U push down?
Got to be something easy yet hard to find.
Were did U source the cap?...mine cane from e-bay with luck. Sealed fine.
STex, out

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Would tend to agree on that point
You did shut the cap and then tighten the mounting screws?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cap came from my mechanic, sourced from a wrecked 98 is what he told me. The ring moves when I press it. I'm about to replace the petcock and I'll check the rubber again then. I'm thinking I may need to sand off the rust too. When I push down, the key snaps back pretty quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts