Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a Bird again,owned a 97 and really miss that bike.I cannot bring myself to spending money for a new ST bike and I know that the bird can be the perfect ST bike but I want FI. I found a clean stock 2000 with 8000 miles and was wondering If that was a good year for the bird or if I should look for a newer one? Any input appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I cannot wait to ride a bird again. With a few minor mods it will make a perfect commuter/ ST for me since I only get to do about 3 800 mile days a year.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Welcome! As said above, go for it. Worst case you'll have to do the test plug fix, but that is really quite simple and inexpensive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I purchased a 2000 this year and love it! Mine had 19000 miles and I thought that was low mileage.

Funnest bike I've ever owned..

·
www.nomartirechanger.com
882 Posts
Looking to buy a Bird again,owned a 97 and really miss that bike.I cannot bring myself to spending money for a new ST bike and I know that the bird can be the perfect ST bike but I want FI. I found a clean stock 2000 with 8000 miles and was wondering If that was a good year for the bird or if I should look for a newer one? Any input appreciated. Thanks.
I may be a little biased, but as far as I am concerned there is NO bad years. Although I have never ridden a carb bird

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Own a 2K number 9 built for that year. It has 64K on it now ride it every day to work in the AZ heat 90 miles round trip. Love it it's the main reason I don't mind the commute. I have done the Devils Run Route 666 ride with my misses double up last year. It was a 265 mile ride in one day on one of the curviest and most elevation changing road in the US. Bike ran flawless hauling us both 2 up. We are going again in June of 2011 it's an annual ride.
The only down I have had is the usual Stator drop at 30K and R/R at 50K and I finally killed the chain at 64K. She averages 40 mpg with 2 Brothers slip ons and a K&N and 1 up on the front sprocket. Like Shewie mentioned do the test plug fix put in the 6mm shim and go with a set of Heli or VFR bars and you'll be set to go.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
:welcome: From Australia. As has been said before go for it. The only thing that seems to go wrong with any of them is the stator and R/R.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I dont think there is a bad year for the XX.. just a personal preference on carb or FI.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
I have a an '02, Jimbob has an '02 and Ciscos has an '98, I think. We have all ridden together. Jimbob and I more frequently. All years are good; I prefer FI.

·
Ascar
571 Posts
the bird is not like a bottle of wine where you get good and bad years they are more like a bourbon any year is great just my 98 carb bird is a bit more mature lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts