Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share my success at getting my 2004 Blackbird exempt from the London Ultra Low Emission Zone.
Process is simple.
1. Get Honda to send you a certificate of conformity COC for your fuel injected Blackbird (no Mods), this is free if it is the first time asked for.
2. Send TFL in an enquiry the COC and registration document.
3. Wait for them to confirm compliance and confirmation of no ULEZ charge.

As it is my first post CBRXX won't let me add links
will attach links when able or message me
Andrew

·
Registered
591 Posts
I tried to get a coc from my 97 red xx from honda uk but they refused to provide it saying the bike is too old ( bs actually they are just lazy )
I have heard that the german carbie xx are lez compliant as they have cat in the silencers ( I know this to be true as I my black 97 one has this as std )
so if you can find cat equipped silencers you may be able to get in... if honda uk are not being pr--ks

Just thought I would share my success at getting my 2004 Blackbird exempt from the London Ultra Low Emission Zone.
Process is simple.
1. Get Honda to send you a certificate of conformity COC for your fuel injected Blackbird (no Mods), this is free if it is the first time asked for.

Andrew
Process is simple.

Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is Honda eu that provide the COC so it may be worth filling the form in and emailing to them.
I do however think that carb'd Blackbirds will not meet the emissions that our dear Mayor of London has set as the NO level is really low

·
Registered
647 Posts
FYI my carbie 97 BB passed with FI cat exhausts fitted. Results where a mere 25% of the level permitted. Test centre said one of the cleanest (if not the cleanest) they'd had the pleasure to test and pass.

·
Registered
102 Posts
FYI my carbie 97 BB passed with FI cat exhausts fitted. Results where a mere 25% of the level permitted. Test centre said one of the cleanest (if not the cleanest) they'd had the pleasure to test and pass.
Hi Mallow1,
Thanks for all your posts on this stuff, its very interesting.
I'm thinking I might need to do this soon too. Is it correct that there's only 1 test centre in London and it costs £175 for a test in your experience?
I have a 2000 FI with the original exhausts but your mention of "FI cat exhausts" has got me thinking there may be later exhausts I should get...?
I tried Honda but they told me they don't keep records so old - rubbish I think but nevermind.
Thanks for your help!
P

·
Registered
647 Posts
I believe there is still only one test centre TfL will accept/ has approved but haven't had to check since my bird passed the test. I'm sure a quick Google will confirm.

Firstly I'd approach Honda Europe not Honda UK. If you look at post #3 above there is the specific email address to use and a form to fill in. If you are the original owner it's free else looks like €175. They claim not to have records for carbies conformity (too old to have been recorded back then) but FIs ought to be on record (unless you are really unlucky).

To go via the test centre I used will cost £175. National-Emissions-Test-Centre - Ultra Low Emissions Zone

Some carbies have I believe passed "as is", some with test centre tweaking fuel:air mix. Plus they will if nec fit aftermarket cats (quoted me c £100 each, needs two plus fitting costs etc). Then theres a £50 retest fee. So the potential of £175-500 to pass. I played safe and bought FI exhausts (which have inbuilt cats) off fleaBay for £25 each (scuffed/ scratched from crash damage). They were direct swaps (plug n play) for my carbie ones.

I was adviced (by the test centre technicians I discussed all this with in advance of doing anything inc making a booking) to get the youngest I could find as apparently they are better quality cats. I have no way of confirming this.

I "may" have passed the test without them but my bird is my daily city commuter so I just invested in the FI cat cans upfront knowing I could always resell them on the bay. So, to date it has cost me £225 to pass.

You're an FI with cats already (I think only US model FIs dont have cats but don't quote me on that) so in theory you ought a) to be able to get a CoC from Honda (for €0 or €175) or b) pass the test for £175 straight off (or upwards in cost if there's a problem). If you want to ensure you do indeed have cats in place (if nothing else to check a prior owner hasnt knocked them out deliberately… some do), pop them off and look inside.

With cats on left, without on right

Wholly up to you whether you think younger cats may improve your chances.

Remember though, whichever route you take you need TfL acknowledgement back from them before your exemption is truly active.

The test centre updates the TfL database directly but I still waited until at least my reg appeared in the online database as exempt (partly because when I got home my reg had been entered incorrectly on the paper copy of the test results graphical printout though when I called the test centre they reassured me they'd entered it correctly in the database).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow, thanks so much Mallow1 for such great answers. I really appreciate it. Will do as you suggest.
P

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just a quick update. Although I completed & emailed the form to Honda Europe, I got an email back from Honda UK telling me pre-2001 Honda records are not kept...I'll keep trying....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Wow, thanks so much Mallow1 for such great answers. I really appreciate it. Will do as you suggest.
P
You are very welcome. Real shame about Honds. Good luck esp as the zone is set to massively expand as of Oct 2021.

I did read that if you're already living within the Congestion Charging zone you are currently exempt the ULEZ until the zone expands. I can't personally confirm that but others may be able to.

Bike&Biker have a list (albeit from back in 2019) of pre-2007 bikes which have passed the ULEZ. On it is a 96 bird and an 06 bird so you'll definitely pass. It will be just a question of how much it'll cost you.

Also this is a more recent article (Feb 2020):

Thanks for the update. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went back to Honda Europe but they definitely don't want to play:

Instead I bought a set of '07 stock exhausts (cats present) from a 22K mile crashed 'bird for £45 and will take the test when time allows...£232 all in if it passes.
P

·
Registered
647 Posts
Good luck. The blokes at the testing centre are a good bunch (I think the bloke who deal with me was called John and a mate of mine turnout out to be tempting with them (Mark) so I got quite a surprise when I turned up. Mark had been heading to China on his bike the last I'd seen of him but breakdown and other craziness delayed his departure so he was killing time working there (wiring up a custom job at the time).

There's a little café in the same yard where you can get a brew/ butty while waiting and keeping warm. Doesn't take long (30mins if I recall so done well within the hr). Rem not to ride through the zone if it's en route to the centre.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts