Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, its time for a new battery and I was thinking upgrade both for weight and lifespan. Prices range from 30-100$. How many of you guys switched over to the gel/lithium? Have there been any "meltdowns" On your XX because of the new style? Really tired of replacing the lead acid every year. Any thoughts?:popcorn:

·
Registered
350 Posts
have a ballistic lithium, going on 3rd year now, no problems. One thing you will like is the increased cranking power with the lithium batteries. They don't like below freezing, but other than that they rock.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am running a gel I think its on its third year and I store it during the winter time when not in use. Charges up when I need it and works great.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
They aren't very good in the cold. I ride all year and so do some of my buddies. Had to push start my friends Daytona several times because of the battery. The headlight trick doesn't work for him either, he runs full LEDs

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have found the cheaper acid batteries to need more CCA. therefore I go for a yuasa battery (acid battery), they always work to a high standard. I do use a smart charger (ctek) when the bikes garaged.

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Maintenance free and sealed
I have been using Motobatt ,going on to 5 years

Reactions: CanadianBird

·
Registered
14,013 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just got rid of moto batt recommend battery only 160cca. Yuasa yxt14-bs 200cca spins over way way better, starts a treat. If I had time and could get one local would buy a ssb brand. Same size 340cca.

very happy now moto batt gone.
cheers

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts
Factory I believe is 180

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
I just make sure that my bike rides every single week, so no need for battery optimizers or fancy bateries.

Normal standart battery since 3 years ago, never failed.

I have Xenon lamp also.
I don't believe that guarantees you will have no electrical issues. All this to save $35.00?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have had the Ballistic Lithium 12-cell for 4 years now, no issues. Also running HID headlight, all is well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't believe that guarantees you will have no electrical issues. All this to save $35.00?
I don't do it to save money, I do it to make sure I also ride every week, even with rain.

But this is my reality, no new battery so far and I believe this weekly (or more often) riding helps.

All electrical "stuff" lasts longuer if it works on a regular basis, otherwise it will get ruined sooner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok Guys going to give you some info.... I sell motorcycle batteries for a living
Factory fitted
YTX12-bs Yuasa up to 00 rated at 180cca
YTZ12s Yuasa 00 up Rated at 210cca
people I believe put the YTX14-bs into the earlier one its 15mm higher and rated at 200cca
I personally put the YTZ14s into the later ones as its rated at 230cca and EXACTLY the same size as a YTZ12s
Now to chemistries hardly any company in the whole world make genuine GEL start batteries people get confused they have heard of gel batteries But reality is they are AGM ( Absorbed Glass Matt ) Not gel
YTX12 and YTX14 batteries are your run of the mill WET lead acid batteries and good manufactures will under rate their batteries and cheap ones OVER rate theirs ... Why ... well that's another 3 paragraphs in its self but trust me they do.... now good quality WET cell batteries will make between 10 to 15% approx. more than they are rated at there are exceptions so a YTX12-bs will approx make 200 to 210 approx. add another 20 to 30cca for the YTX14 now here is the clanger ... AGM batteries are rated and tested completely diff than the WET ones so good quality AGM batteries make 40 to 100% more than they are rated !!! the YTZ14s Yuasa I have ATM was not fully charged (12.6v) and made a whooping 360CCA
So if you replace a YTX12 With an AGM such as Motobatt MBTX12u Rated at 200 cca but really makes probably 300+ it will feel like you added another starter motor

I don't sell Lithium Start batteries for a whole bunch of reasons ... Lets just say IMO they should stay where they were intended and built for.... Racing

Not everyone will agree with what I have said but its what I have been taught and My personal Experience working in the battery industry

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shorai and their trickle charger. No issues noted. I live in Houston, TX - most of the year the temps are above freezing. We had a few days last year below 28F - but never noticed an issue with cranking.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok Guys going to give you some info.... I sell motorcycle batteries for a living
Factory fitted
YTX12-bs Yuasa up to 00 rated at 180cca
YTZ12s Yuasa 00 up Rated at 210cca
people I believe put the YTX14-bs into the earlier one its 15mm higher and rated at 200cca
I personally put the YTZ14s into the later ones as its rated at 230cca and EXACTLY the same size as a YTZ12s
Now to chemistries hardly any company in the whole world make genuine GEL start batteries people get confused they have heard of gel batteries But reality is they are AGM ( Absorbed Glass Matt ) Not gel
YTX12 and YTX14 batteries are your run of the mill WET lead acid batteries and good manufactures will under rate their batteries and cheap ones OVER rate theirs ... Why ... well that's another 3 paragraphs in its self but trust me they do.... now good quality WET cell batteries will make between 10 to 15% approx. more than they are rated at there are exceptions so a YTX12-bs will approx make 200 to 210 approx. add another 20 to 30cca for the YTX14 now here is the clanger ... AGM batteries are rated and tested completely diff than the WET ones so good quality AGM batteries make 40 to 100% more than they are rated !!! the YTZ14s Yuasa I have ATM was not fully charged (12.6v) and made a whooping 360CCA
So if you replace a YTX12 With an AGM such as Motobatt MBTX12u Rated at 200 cca but really makes probably 300+ it will feel like you added another starter motor

I don't sell Lithium Start batteries for a whole bunch of reasons ... Lets just say IMO they should stay where they were intended and built for.... Racing

Not everyone will agree with what I have said but its what I have been taught and My personal Experience working in the battery industry

Steve
After careful consideration and correspondence with my mechanic and numerous members of the CBRXX site, I went with the 63$ stock "wet" battery. Last one went 4 years. So if it ain't broke I'm not Fixin it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts