Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, simple question, my bird has a lithium battery, on when bought it, should i need to charge it over the winter can i charge it with a normal 12v lead acid car charger or do i need a special charger, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,479 Posts
Check the manufactures recommendations. I know my Shoria can as long as it's not decalsification/pulse charger.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes do some research...... I've seen a couple of video's on Google that explain the difference in the charging algorithm's between AGM and Li Ion batteries. They said you can use a normal charger but that it needed to be watched and also that some AGM smart chargers would 'think' the battery was fully charged or dead and not activate.

You're best off with a dedicated Li Ion charger - eg a Shorai battery has a 3rd plug designed into it's case for it's charger which has a function that balances the cells, and also keeps a stored battery at 60% (if I recall correctly). Li Ion batteries should not be stored fully charged or left on a battery tender as they may catch fire if one or two cells become over charged.

There's a video made by a bike riding electrician showing what happens to a cheap type Li ion battery with unbalanced cells on an ordinary charger (think boom and burn)......... (y) Maybe newer Li Ion's have addressed this cell balancing issue and it's no longer a danger........ :unsure:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have several bikes and found this charger to be useful as I have lead acid and lithium batteries.
Lithium batteries can die on you over the winter if not on a tender and usually cannot be brought back to life with a trickle charger like the one I showed. You would need to put it on a 10amp charger for a very short period and it will come back to life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts