Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a 2006 bird, and when out scrubbing in a new rear tyre I had a weird feel on the rear brake. It suddenly went soft, I pumped it and few times and it came back, I figured maybe something hadn’t seated properly after refitting the rear wheel. Then I noticed the rear brake seemed to be slowing down the bike heaps? After a bit of testing the brake pedal, I reckon the front brake is now being applied way more aggressively when the rear pedal is pushed? (I’m pretty sure I’m not imagining things, it feels weird now) When I stab the brake pedal, the front dives heaps. I reckon I can hear the front chirping and almost locking up when I stab the rear pedal hard. Pretty sure it wasn’t like this before. How could this change? Has something ‘let go’ in the linked system? Front brakes feel normal. Any ideas?

·
Registered
296 Posts
It sounds like you might have freed up a bit of crap in the system, you would have moved the rear caliper pistons back in a bit while changing the wheel.
I'd bleed the system and flush the fluid first, this might give you and idea of where the blockage might be.
I'm sure there is a thread on the forum about a slug of crap settling in the secondary master cylinder on the left side front fork.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cheers ajp999,

Nothing will have changed or broken in the DCBS...... it will be crud or air bubbles so a nice flush and bleed will bring it all back to normal.

I asked a friend to come over and help me with the brakes on my 05BB last Sept when i was prepping it to return to the road. We changed all the fluids using the manual squeeze and nip method, but when the time came to do the DCB master cylinder (left fork caliper) my buddie used a medium flat blade screw driver to lever the m/cyl plunger, while I cracked open the bleed nipple out the back end. Too easy..... with two people.

PS Read up on the bleeding procedure in the reference section's manual (99-02 covers up to 2007 models).... I used the manual method and the bleed nipples are explained so it was a great help to have a copy of that procedure for reference.

(y) It might be air bubbles in the fluid - and brakes need bleeding every 2 years or so to keep them crud free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts