Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just received an LED licence plate light

What wires are the best to splice into for this? I did connect ones previously to two wires of one of the brake light connectors but everytime I pulled the brake lever they would turn off while the back brake light illuminated brighter ?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Chatting to my MOT tester the other other day about this very subject and he said that a licence plate light is not needed on a motorcycle. Here's a sample quote from googling about this.
"Licence plate light is needed by law, if the vehicle has been registered on or after the first of April 1986... but not needed for the MOT. " Highside........... you in Norn or Southern Ireland? If south maybe different requirements.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ade- mot and law seen to conflict in some areas, normally if fitted, something must work for mot, if not there would maybe not be fail. That quote you give states law says must have tho? This means if on road, unless classed as daylight only bike, must be fitted and working. Pedantic cop could nick you. Another example is number plates- you don't fail the mot for undersize as long as they are legible but you can be nicked for

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Kris, my mate the MOT tester was quite specific on this. Hes been testing bikes for 30+ yrs and agreed it's an anomaly. Although the law says one is required its not actually part of the MOT test. Strange one. Bit like exhausts - if the can says "for race use only" fail. Put a sticker on it, pass. They are not allowed to remove the sticker. My Gen 1 Aprilia Mille Arrow shotgun exhausts are - loud, clearly say "for race use only" it's never been failed on this as far as the records show. Exhaust noise is at the discretion of the tester and no decibel measurement meter is used. He reckons he's only ever failed two bikes on exhaust sound, a Harley with shortened slash cut pipes and a 250 2 stroke crosser. Just goes to show - the law is an ass.
I reckon Ducks long term MOT tester just gives him the ticket and says "go away and stop bothering me" knowing it will pass. :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Agreed on the ass bit- problem is when you also get one in a uniform. I made the mistake of going past a traffic cop a few years ago, 1 mph faster than him. I then got pulled for the serious crime of the small number plate. He actually got out a tape measure and noted it's dimensions. This plate had gone through 5 Mots. I got given a fix it note, so I obviously didn't piss him off to the max. The point is that the mot and law are not always the same, but in court u get nicked by the law. The mot isn't technically worth the paper it's printed on, it even has(or had) a disclaimer to that effect.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Another good one on number plates- the legal requirements from dvla don't give a specific dimension of the overall size, just character, size of and spacing, along with boarder dimension. It states the plate must have bs stamp and supplier of plate on it too. I have yet to find a place that will put a bs mark on anything other than the standard kitchen table size plate, even if it conforms to the requirements.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Ah - uniforms are different. Measuring your number plate?? He must have been low on his quotas. I've asked two bike cops about the legalities of my potentially strobing DRLS and they had’nt got a scooby.
True, an MOT is good on that day, soon as you ride out its not worth a jot. Bit like boiler services (my field) ok that day, next day it's worth jack s..t.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ade- mot and law seen to conflict in some areas, normally if fitted, something must work for mot, if not there would maybe not be fail. That quote you give states law says must have tho? This means if on road, unless classed as daylight only bike, must be fitted and working. Pedantic cop could nick you. Another example is number plates- you don't fail the mot for undersize as long as they are legible but you can be nicked for
Hi Kris,

My car recently failed its MoT at a VW Main Dealer because although the size of the Plate, the Font of the numbers and letters were correct, the gap between the 13 and following three letters was less than specified. They wanted £52.00 to replace the Plates but luckily had the ones with the EU Flag on back at home so took these into them and got charged 0.2 of an hour labour to fit them. Once home switched back to my Union Jack Plates.

This same MoT Tester passed the car with my plates on at the previous two MoT's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chatting to my MOT tester the other other day about this very subject and he said that a licence plate light is not needed on a motorcycle. Here's a sample quote from googling about this.
"Licence plate light is needed by law, if the vehicle has been registered on or after the first of April 1986... but not needed for the MOT. " Highside........... you in Norn or Southern Ireland? If south maybe different requirements.
South

Where I am there is a particular cop who pulls over every bike he sees , mainly over reg plates , and whats worse is he's a biker himself ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts