Honda CBR XX Forum banner

81 - 100 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
1140 kays for the weekend, Lilydale, Bright via Whitfield the first day, Second day was, Bright over Mt Hotham, Cold wet, raining and foggy, and 10 Celcius,
Bugga doing that again so i peeled off from the other 10 riders and went north from Omeo up to Mitta Mitta in sunshine, Then Over Tawonga Gap road and back to Bright,
I have been to Swifts Creek many times, Thats another reason I split from the group, Mainly long sweepers,
Sunday came home in pissing rain all the way from Bright to Healesville, Via Whitfield, Alexandra and the Blacks Spur, then sunshine for the last 20 Kays,

The scenery is excellent, And a great ride,

Attachments

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
A few more,

Attachments

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
And a few more, Getting the edge off the new Angel GT's, It did slip once, But I dont know whether it was shit on the road or it let go, It may have been the white line I crossed too,
I Still dont have full confidence in them yet, Not like I had with the Z8's,

Attachments

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
The last two piccys is what I rode home in, Rained from Bright all the way to Healesville, Stopped in Whitfield for a smoke and a warm up before I hit the hills and twistys going to Mansfield,

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
And a few more, Getting the edge off the new Angel GT's, It did slip once, But I dont know whether it was shit on the road or it let go, It may have been the white line I crossed too,
I Still dont have full confidence in them yet, Not like I had with the Z8's,
Deadman, I'm blown away by what you've done with your bars! That must be transformative! :smilebig:

Are you familiar with the term "Ape Hangers"? :cool:

I feel it is my duty to show you this:

p6050096small.jpg

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Deadman, I'm blown away by what you've done with your bars! That must be transformative! :smilebig:

Are you familiar with the term "Ape Hangers"? :cool:

I feel it is my duty to show you this:

View attachment 75522
My Bonnie had Ape Hangers, 15 inch, My Bird has Risers, 12 inch, I sit in the same position on both, Bolt Upright,
Any Harley, Goldwing, ST 1300, Etc Etc, or upright cruising bike has the same sitting position as my Bird,
Its very comfortable, and the Handling is Awesome,
The best position for me is about 4 inches below shoulder height and 22 inches wide, Im 5 foot Nine inches,

Standard clipons on the Bird, I get about 100 Kays, 60 Miles, and I cant open my hands as they are cramped up and extremely painfull,
Which makes the Bike extremely dangerous to ride, As I cant use Brake or Clutch,

I actually ride my Bike, Its not some thing I polish and look at, It has to be functional for me, It is now,

My normal days riding is 400 to 800 Kays a day, Between 6 and 10 hours riding, Mostly in extremely tite mountain twistys,
I have ridden it just over 100,000 Kays, 60,000 Miles in six and a half years,

There are 3 Birds with the same risers now, One Bird has 13 inch risers, They followed my example and changed their bikes to the same,
They have all thanked me for the lead, They are very pleased with their bikes handling as well,

Companys make 50,000 Bikes all Identical, People dont come in Identical sizes to match the bikes,
You have to change the bike to suit your particular Height, Length of Legs, Arms, Etc Etc,

Another big Bike Mod is lowering them so people with short legs can ride them, EG; Most women are short, Short Blokes,

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Standard clipons on the Bird, I get about 100 Kays, 60 Miles, and I cant open my hands as they are cramped up and extremely painfull,
Which makes the Bike extremely dangerous to ride, As I cant use Brake or Clutch,

I actually ride my Bike, Its not some thing I polish and look at, It has to be functional for me, It is now,

My normal days riding is 400 to 800 Kays a day, Between 6 and 10 hours riding, Mostly in extremely tite mountain twistys,
I have ridden it just over 100,000 Kays, 60,000 Miles in six and a half years,

I'm with you there, motorcycles are for riding, not polishing and preening over, then leaving in the garage! Anything that makes that more possible has gotta be a good thing :thumb:

I guess I commented because looking at your modification makes me wonder what it would be like to ride a bike that accelerates like the Blackbird whilst in an upright, adventure-bike style riding position. I'm a little jealous! I like a long day's ride too, and suffer for it after a few hours (I'm at the other end of the scale, I'm 6'6", and struggle with every bike I've ridden with comfort to a greater or lesser extent as a result).

Love the pics by the way! :O

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Have you altered your bike at all TWU? I'm 6'5" and have added 28mm risers and a vario screen. Other than that, I don't find it too bad, just a numb bum at 150ish miles.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Have you altered your bike at all TWU? I'm 6'5" and have added 28mm risers and a vario screen. Other than that, I don't find it too bad, just a numb bum at 150ish miles.
The short answer - Nope. It's only been with me for about 7 weeks, so I figured I would get used to her before considering mods. It has a higher-than-standard screen, but having played with screen height before, I know that a screen 4 inches higher doesn't necessarily result in a nice clean airflow 4 inches higher... I imagine a Vario offers better options than a double-bubble (as fitted when I bought mine) though. I'd need a four foot high screen to be entirely out of the wind to be honest, so have long since stopped bothering to try on that score!

I will give serious thought to lifting the bars though. I know there's some in-depth discussion as to the merits of bar-risers vs. VFR800 V-tec clip-ons here. Did you find it made a dramatic difference to comfort when you fitted your risers? You kept the standard brake/control lines without issue?

(PS - my humblest grovelings to the forum-deities for off-topicness... ;))

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My fault for leading you astray, that's the way rambling goes:) Risers use standard lines and cables. Noticed a little difference, but mainly did it to get a better clearance between bars and fairings on full lock.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
The short answer - Nope. It's only been with me for about 7 weeks, so I figured I would get used to her before considering mods. It has a higher-than-standard screen, but having played with screen height before, I know that a screen 4 inches higher doesn't necessarily result in a nice clean airflow 4 inches higher... I imagine a Vario offers better options than a double-bubble (as fitted when I bought mine) though. I'd need a four foot high screen to be entirely out of the wind to be honest, so have long since stopped bothering to try on that score!

I will give serious thought to lifting the bars though. I know there's some in-depth discussion as to the merits of bar-risers vs. VFR800 V-tec clip-ons here. Did you find it made a dramatic difference to comfort when you fitted your risers? You kept the standard brake/control lines without issue?

(PS - my humblest grovelings to the forum-deities for off-topicness... ;))
Thats how you learn, By asking the dumb questions, You will get straight answers on here, But be prepared to be laughed at as well, Hahahahaha

$30-00 will get you a Double, Double bubble from China, About 6 inches, Should kill the air flow on your body,

If you go higher bars, Your local Hydraulic hose shop will make them up for you on the spot, Cheaply,

They dont come in a Honda packet and thats what you pay for, The Honda Name,
Take yours in and drop them on the counter, Then tell them how much longer you want them,
Then you have the originals if you ever want to sell it, Just put the originals back on it,

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Should have said that with the Apex i only had to change the cables, got them from Jaws. Also got the Vario screen, very good. As deadman says you only learn from asking dumb questions, at my age i dont give a toss. I'm always asking them. That's how i learn. ;)

81 - 100 of 528 Posts