Honda CBR XX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
A trip out to Rame Head, via the Torpoint Ferry and the excellently named Freathy Cliff...

DSC_0866.JPG DSC_0871.JPG DSC_0873.JPG DSC_0876.JPG

I'm cheating a little, this was yesterday's ride...!

I fear October may be running out of the beautiful riding weather it's offered so far.... :crap:

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
A ride through the Wye Valley to make the most of the (still) good weather here.

P1020755 (Custom).JPG

Onto Tintern Abbey
P1020756 (Custom).JPG

A bit further on and the bike started feeling a bit "strange" on the back end. Uh oh i know what that is. Rear puncture!! For once no kit on board, usually carry a repair kit and mini compressor. Managed to ride at 20mph (the shame of it) for 7 miles into Ross on Wye to the nearest garage. Pressure was 6lbs, pumped it up, leaking bad. A Polish lad on a VTR came over and took me to his garage, he was a farm mechanic with a full workshop and a repair kit. Plugged it, rode 35 miles home and its still holding. Good job i had ordered a new tyre on Friday!

20161023_164831 (Custom).jpg

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
A ride through the Wye Valley to make the most of the (still) good weather here.

View attachment 73130

Onto Tintern Abbey
View attachment 73138

A bit further on and the bike started feeling a bit "strange" on the back end. Uh oh i know what that is. Rear puncture!! For once no kit on board, usually carry a repair kit and mini compressor. Managed to ride at 20mph (the shame of it) for 7 miles into Ross on Wye to the nearest garage. Pressure was 6lbs, pumped it up, leaking bad. A Polish lad on a VTR came over and took me to his garage, he was a farm mechanic with a full workshop and a repair kit. Plugged it, rode 35 miles home and its still holding. Good job i had ordered a new tyre on Friday!

View attachment 73146

Gotta be glad it happened at the end of the tyre's life! A puncture in fresh rubber is so frustrating...

Also, gotta love the right person turning up at the right time! Tis nice that if you're stopped or stranded (in the UK at least - you guys elsewhere find the same?), usually the first biker to pass will stop and see if they can help. I was quietly pleased with myself when I clocked a pair of German guys on their old-ish GS and broken RT looking stuck in a lay-by in my home town and managed to get them going again. Not through my own expertise I hasten to add - they'd already sussed the problem, but I could lead them to a good spares shop and play translator to the bemused owner, who had the part they needed in stock and lent them what they needed to fit it!

Reminded me of a line in a book by Mike Carter called Uneasy Rider - "This only confirmed my growing conviction that motorcyclists, along with gardeners, are the nicest people on earth." :p

A good read by the way...

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Cheers TWU. found the book on Amazon, ordered it used £1.79 free delivery! I'm a sucker for books, who needs a tv?
I was lucky with the guy stopping. He was Polish and couldn't have been more helpful.
As i was riding around that day i probably saw another 25? bikes and every bike i see i always wave/acknowledge them. I think three waved back! Majority of bikers these days are weekend warriors mainly on adventure/trail type bikes with all the gear and no idea. All wearing £400+ plus jackets, trousers, helmets etc etc. It's almost becoming a fashion statement these days. I usually find it's the guys on older bikes who wave/ acknowledge back. Guys like us.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Welcome. Reading it made me hate my rat-race life even more...!

It's interesting that you find that to be the case. I have noticed a trend of fewer riders going to the effort of acknowledging each other these days, which is a shame. It's always a nod in my neck of the woods, but a few wave and you can tell the riders from the continent when they stick a leg out :smilebig:

I try not to examine too closely the likelyhood of another rider ignoring my nod based on what they're riding, but I can't help but notice that it does seem that adventure bike riders seem less likely to nod/wave than most, GS riders in particular. No offence to any potential BMW owners present, but in my experience it just seems a "you're not in the club" kinda thing. Not all of them of course, but seemingly a higher percentage than the average.

Interestingly, cruiser/chopper/Harley riders always seem happy to acknowledge me, regardless of the fact that all I've ever ridden have been Japanese bikes (in fact - all I've ever owned have been Hondas!). Puts the whole "cruiser-riders hate sports-bike riders" thing in perspective, but perhaps that's just an american stereotype. Any of you guys from the states find that to be the case?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
A taste of my day's non-ride, courtesy of the below...

putting my front wheel back on after fitting the Avon storm ultra 2 (back went on a couple of days ago). Gotta love fresh boots, and the resulting lovely crisp, smooth turn in. Except when you're bolting the brake caliper back on and the bolts stretch :crap:

DSC_0896.JPG

Before you ask - yep, I was using a torque wrench, 31Nm. I can only assume that the last person to bolt the caliper on was not... :nono:

Doesn't fill me with confidence as to the previous owner's mechanical treatment of the bike, or the stress placed on those bolts when I was breaking from high speed. Anyone else experienced this? Stretchy bolts is a new one for me. I've witnessed sheared ones and stripped threads (thank gawd, the threads on my caliper seem ok), but these are a first.

Fortunately, I can borrow the mounting bolts from my VFR800 while I wait for the replacements to show up (currently repairing after a knock-over before it's MOT'd and sold, so it's not on the road) as it seems to be the same bolt. The same caliper and linked braking system in fact.

Edit: On the subject, anyone interested in a very fine 2000 Black VFR800Fi, about 34k mls? :p

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
TWU, you're right it is usually GS riders, but interestedly Harley guys do tend to wave/nod.
Have done the same as you a couple of times ie robbing my VFRs for stuff, mainly wheel bearing spacers, twice! Just removed my back wheel ready for a new tyre and MADE sure i put them on the axle complete with the nut.
I used to just tighten bolts as in that's tight enough, but bought a digital torque wrench last year and now religiously stick to manufacturers specs.
A black VFR? not many around. Going to sell my yellow VFR but keep the red one. Too many good memories plus i've spent a lot on her upgrading.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
222 Posts
A couple days late.
Wifi
Down from Rocky for the GP then GOR (glad i done it..but slow)
Made it to Port Pirie for mums lamb roast.
Now to get back home!

·
Registered
242 Posts
GP Weekend comes to an end. Rode with demac to Benalla where we had beers and burgers at the Royal. demac continued north while I headed back to Melbourne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I just rode 320 miles from Norfolk back to exmoor and forgot to take any pictures, even took the camera so I could add to this thread :O

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I just rode 320 miles from Norfolk back to exmoor and forgot to take any pictures, even took the camera so I could add to this thread :O
Haha! I guess it was too good a ride to be thinking of such things...

Never mind, you've got some good roads on your local patch - plenty of time to thrill us with pics of the perfect riding weather that British winters always bring us!

41 - 60 of 528 Posts