Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I've been away from the forum for quite a long time, but I'm still riding my early 1997 BB. My question is, has anyone fitted the new generation of replacement LED headlamp bulbs ?

They are advertised as simply swop over for H7 fitting. They look a bit longer and have a small heat sink on the back. The standard H7 bulbs in the bike use a small extension connector behind them which the retaining clip presses on. I'm thinking this may prove to be a problem with any replacement LED light.

But it may not be an insurmountable problem.

Even high output Halogen bulbs are no match for modern car lights. And the LED option would be good to try. Being and old bike would I need any sort of ballast unit for LED to work? Hopefully not ?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Ian

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you want car type illumination, best bet is a projector beam conversion, a straight LED swap will not do it. Anyway, not all H7 LEDs are the same. Some have a detachable heat sink for easy install, some don't and you will need to bend the retaining clip to fit. Also, minor point, you may have to rearrange the loom to miss the heat sink.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Go to Electricalconnection.com and buy the LEDS that they came up with for the Goldwing. It is an easy swap. They have improved the units as the spacer is now adhered to the bulb. You Don't need to change a thing and they are BRIGHT!!!!
I made a video of this. I took the nose cone loose so people could see better in the video. You don't need to do this. Just rotate your forks full left or right as needed. The lights are plug and play.

YouTube name is XXGUY.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great video, changed out my "98" VFR ones and they work great. Was thinking of doing the Bird, now I'm sure to. Thanks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hello Felow Fighter Pilot! This is from my thread... hope it helps!

LED headlight conversion. Thanks to Malo and ptxyz for their input.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory

I like the ring idea! But I wanted something that could lock in place at the right height.
Light Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Audio equipment

Nubs required some filing down.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Although I did a horrible job at expanding the inner diameter of the tabbed ring, the overall fit is snug.
Automotive tire Wood Rim Circle Auto part

Sorry! Did't take pic of clip locked in place!

Ready for plug n play cables.

Unfortunately, the prongs are not wide enough and require some painful bending to fit OEM plug. So to avoid that I used existing slots to widen prong spacing. I could have also used existing OEM plug that I cut up earlier but for the life of me can't find them!? So plan B...

Existing slots cut out.

Small tabs must be cut or bent over for easier insertion.

I love using baking soda crazy glue trick and wanted to try crazy glue gel. Finish product: hard, waterproof and paintable but messy. Liquid crazy glue would have provided a finer finish, not as lumpy...

Perfect!

Unfortunately, broke both original prongs forcing it through slots! These aluminum prongs are slightly stiffer. Also dotted sticky backing with crazy glue gel for maximum adhesion...

LED conversion complete! Ready for install.

[IMG alt="Mallow1"]https://www.cbrxx.com/d1/avatars/m/14/14305.jpg?1581495042[/IMG]
Mallow1
Registered

Joined Jul 17, 2012
943 Posts
#38 · 2 mo ago (Edited)

Great work Lovin… as you know, I know becoz I've done very similar too. For others following in our footsteps, pause for thought and check out these babies on Jaws:

www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk

Honda Blackbird CBR1100XX 97-07 H7 Twenty20 Compact LED Headlight Bulb - Jaws Motorcycles
H7 Twenty20 Compact LED Headlight Bulbs Twenty20 has done it again. They’ve managed to develop one of the best H7 Headlight bulbs available on the UK market Compact LED Headlight Bulbs The Twenty20 Compact LED’s are built with functionality and ease of use in mind. The design and technology of...
They're rated at 4,000 lumen and appear to need no fans, no canbus either and look to maybe be the right prong width already (though I haven't checked other than a quick glance). If only they were four-sided!

Sorry Lovin… wished I'd spotted them sooner! SO IanB, YOU MAY WANT TO GO THIS ROUTE INSTEAD OF DOING ALL THE ABOVE! HOWEVER NOTE, THIS LED IS TWO SIDED.

Anyone tried them already?

[IMG alt="lovinmycbr1000f"]https://www.cbrxx.com/d1/avatars/m/16/16158.jpg?1581495042[/IMG]
lovinmycbr1000f
Registered

Joined May 19, 2013
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · 2 mo ago (Edited)

Thanks Malo! No prob! No stress! I'm good! AND OURS IS FOURSIDED providing better illumination! It's also about the journey! Learning new stuff, techniques etc... As we ol geezers move forward with our collective dinosaur bikes it will be inevitable that new tech. will enable us to do some upgrades here and there... IF that is desired.

Attachments

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
Deleted it. No need to repeat myself.

·
Administrator
9,219 Posts
I run a pair of these. Pricey but a lifetime warranty and are actually a bit brighter the the high quality HID's I was running. Put them side by side with my sons BB. And they actually washed out his lights. The Same HID's that we had installed in his.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts