Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, need a bit of advice with regards to spare key programming, for the few people who have read my intro you will know that I am on my third BB, this becomes relevant later. I bought my current 1999 FI BB 3 years ago from a dealer who wanted an astronomical amount to supply a spare key so told them to shove it, so this has been like going to the dentist or sending in tax returns... you know it has to be done and damn important but you keep forgetting until its too late.

Got a quote from Honda here in South Africa and the chipped key blank is damn expensive, without cutting and programming, plus a 400 km round trip to the nearest dealer, however going through my man drawer (you know with many keys that don't fit anything and batteries you don't even know if they still work or not) well lo and behold I find my spare key from my first 1999 FI BB, have a look inside and yep there's the chip, of course the key doesn't turn in the ignition and presumably the chip is differently programmed to my current chip, however in my Scrooge personality, my thoughts were that a key blank without chip is much cheaper, so here be my questions:

1. Can this chip from my first BB be reprogrammed to my current one
2. Do the key blanks without chips i.e. 98 BB keys have space in the top for a chip
3. Should I even bother trying this or just break down and buy a blank key with a chip in
4. Either way can someone help with the instructions to program the chip be it new or this old one (have asked before but hadn't been around or posted anything at that stage and so I was considered to be possibly suspicious, hopefully this has changed a bit :p)

All advice appreciated thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
1. Honda's original chip is not reprogramable.
2. Original keys are sold with a blank chip installed in it and they are very expensive. Buy an blank key and a chip from ebay.
3. There are 3 types of chips Honda uses, I wrote them somewhere but I cannot find. The best way is to search it or open the right cap of the original key, you can see the pentagonal chip.
4. After installing the chip into the key you can follow the steps on the atteched jpegs or search youtube as "programming new Hiss keys on Honda vfr800". You can find lots of videos.

Note: Atteched jpegs are taken from my Varadero manuals. I was able to program blank keys both for my blackbird and varadero.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks, did a bit of research after writing this post, after buying the key on ebay then shipping and 3 months for our post office (if it gets through our system at all) it worked out the same as a dealer key which I will get in two days.

Just a question did you use the 100 ohm resistor? doesn't look like they have one in the manual pictures that you attached.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes I used it. I never saw the original honda adaptor so I am not sure but yes you're right, in the picture it doesn't look like there is a resistor, but the guy in the video used it, and read something about this resistor in the varadero forum, so I add one. Bu sure about the chip. I am not sure but it was like id46 pcf7936, it has a trapezoid shape.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great stuff thanks, can print this one out, just got word my parcel arrived at our town office this morning will be brought to the farm tomorrow, decided I might as well get the spark plugs as well while I was ordering, last did them 14 000 km ago, courier fees were the same for just key and for key and 4 plugs so why not.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did the job a few days ago with great success, took me longer to make the lead than do the actual programming, all I did was put a 150mA inline fuse then a 100 ohm 1W resistor and I added a simple on off switch just in place of connecting and disconnecting from the battery when programming, all done in about two minutes almost an anti-climax.

The sense of relief having a spare key now is amazing can't believe it's taken me 3 years to do it, although I think it was a fear of playing with the ECU that put me off, have made enough blue smoke from electronic boxes that I couldn't put back in to make me nervous.

Thanks for the help and advice gents you have helped me sleep better at night.

Not at all pretty but worked a treat

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts