Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I've just purchased a BB '99 and is being trailed-in to my house in about an hour. Looks like I be seeing yous around on this forum. I have to get over the registration/title in NY and then go get a helmet. I haven't ridden in about 20 years. (i've owned gpz900, katana750, cbr400rr when I was in my 20's.) So this should be fun.

I'm being told that the bike sat in a garage for close to 17 years mostly unused. (was told they started the engine and moved it around a bit every now and then) The bike is a creampuff. It has really minor scratches for the most part and just one visible scratch by the fairing where your left knee would go. Has 2131 miles as you see here.

Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer Vehicle White

I was concerned about the bike sitting too long and its effects. But, the guy must have been anally starting it and moving it a bit periodically, because every thing is really fresh. It really looks and operates like a brand new bike. No rust on bolts or otherwise anywhere and no sun damage.

During the inspection I flipped up the Corbin seat that the original owner added and found a sticker from a shop in Daytona. My theory is that the original owner trailed the bike to Daytona with his friends for bike week for a goof in his new bike and then rode it back. It's almost exactly 1000 miles between where he lives and Daytona.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

He also had a beautiful Shovelhead that was also on sale for 8500$. The Shovelhead had a beautiful patina and mostly original. I was tempted to get it instead of the BB. I suspect he rode that for the most part. He passed away around 2018 after being sick for a long time I was told. (RIP)

So, I have some To-do's. Tire is dated '99 and original so I have to change that out. Had a new oil change, but probably do that anyway. And then bleed the brakes and cooling ?? Is that about it ?? I'm wondering how much this will cost me. I'm open to doing it myself, but I really want to start riding.

Ok folks. Talk to you guys later !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello welcome, fork oil will be needing a change if its 99 original, as well as clutch fluid, if you don't feel like doing the service jobs, take it to someone you trust.
I think one of the biggest problems is old brake fluid, the left fork leg has a secondary master cylinder attached to it, these have a very small hole inside which can become blocked, causing rear brake drag.
All the jobs are possible to do your self really, just get a manual and start reading lol.
Make sure your rubber band holding the ecm in the tail section is not perished, I have seen a few storeys of ecm problems over time because the rubber band has snapped with age, so the ecm has been able to bounce round.
All good info. Thanks.

I just bought the haynes manual and downloaded the PDF on this site for the '99 BB. But, I'm going to do the below myself:
  • Brake Fluid
  • Clutch Fluid
  • Coolant
  • Oil flush and filter
I'm probably going to hire someone to do the tire change and the fork rebuild..... Although, I saw a youtube video for tire change and it didn't look that hard at all. So, I may do it myself. I'm going to do the tire change immediately and then do the other stuff in the next few months. Fork rebuild may be over the winter......

I may post up pics and a tutorial as I do some of these. I've noticed the photos in the brake line bleed is now missing..... (that's too bad, I could use some help)

Regards,

ken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, but I wouldn't actually flush the oil, just change it as normal, there are to many recesses in engine's for engine flush chemicals to stay in once changed,
I'm usually in the camp of not doing any "Flushes" usually. It's just that I don't really know how long this bike sat with the same oil. The owner definitely took care of it, but he did have cancer; and I'm not so sure if he got around to changing the oil ever... Eh. I may not do a flush after all. I'm kind of on a fence now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You lucky @&#$. you! Just curious if you‘d be willing to share what you shelled out for it.
Code:
If you’re still in touch with the buyer/family, seek out the original saddle. Its likely in perfect shape, and its a canvas for future customization. Maybe the Corbin suits you, but you won’t have the chance to grab it later if you decide to optimize the height/width/angle. Same for the OEM cans - some folks  look for them here, from time to time. Selling those new cans off may just offset your upgrades nicely.
I paid a little over 5k.

Good point about OEM parts. But, I actually bought it from a friend of a original owner. The original owner is deceased. So, it's actually his wife that sold it to the "Friend" and then I bought it from them. She is up in her 70's and I don't know if I want to call up and be like "hey can I look through your garage for parts ??". They are also hour plus away. Otherwise I may have tried.

Anyhow. Registering the bike this Friday. I may take her out locally this weekend. I don't know if I am brave enough to get on a highway with a 22 year old tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Being a '99 model, make sure you do the LOOM FIX. Search this site - plenty of info on it.
I did a search and found some threads. But all of the pics have been stripped out. Sooooooo frustrating to find every “how to” thread are missing pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where in NY are you, KJ?

I don't understand any need to rebuild anything. Change out the fluids and it should be fine.
Rockland. Near nanuet.
You are right. Im not really rebuilding anything really. Its mostly fluid change. But some seals may be replaced and dome grease added.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts