Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Jerky (like it's skipping teeth)

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  beestoys 
#1 ·
So I had to come to an abrupt stop the other night and didn't have time to slowly downshift and when I went to downshift I shifted all the way down to first and it didn't actually shift into first it just kind of grinded a little bit and I let off the shifter and wait until I had another slower spinning gear to force it down in the first ... Needless to say I've been having some turkey jerky accelerations since then mostly in first gear I did notice a little bit in second gear I think yesterday but I'm wondering if one of the gears may have lost a couple teeth and if it could be as simple as the magneto gear behind the magneto having just a tiny little bit of the back end where the other gear touches it chipped off like I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about.... Or if you think it's something like transmission related like the gearbox please any help is much appreciated
if you can see how the teeth surfaces are not even on one side that little bit of unevenness does not go all the way around the sprocket I thought that maybe that was the problem but this is not the one from my bike I mean it is the one for my bike but it's an old one the one that I have in there now also has the same kind of channel like unevenness on sections of it but not all of it could this be a symptom or the cause of the slipping or jerking or whatever is going on thanks again guys in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
The gear looks to be uniform, I know it dose'nt go all the way round, but usually damaged teeth make marks up the mating faces of the tooth.
I once had cause to do an emergency stop, pocked up the back tyre, stalled the bike.
Later I found I had stretched the chain, the bike had a bit of a vibration.

#3 ·
I’m not seeing “chipped” teeth but maybe some uneven wear. I wouldn’t think that would cause a noticeable surge in power, maybe a little harmonic vibration though. Have you examined your chain for uneven stretch? I would think that would be a far more likely cause of jerky acceleration than the degree of wear you are likely to see on metal parts.

#4 ·
Pull the plugs put it 1st gear grab the rear tire and slowly rotate it in the drive direction and see of its smooth. If not then your going to have to split cases.

Reactions: Punts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.