Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just bought a Blackbird. Regulator went bad. Headlight bulbs were burning out. I searched and found the Jaws website after researching cbrxx.com. Jaws has one they claim has MosFet circuitry. It was $120.00 equivalent, plus about $56.00 shipping to me. I did a regular google search and found the Electrosport ESR684 everywhere for about $70.00 and free shipping. I thought the Jaws one must be better, as they claim better circuitry and it cost substantially more. I got the one from Jaws. It is most certainly is an Electrosport ESR684. I am looking at it as I type this.
So, long story short, do not buy a regulator/rectifier from Jaws thinking it is better. It is the same unit you can buy just about anywhere for less $$
As a side note, I find it to be a bit misleading that Jaws does not show the manufacture or model number on there website, and the image is not the same as the image of the unit that I received. Jaws also claims Mosfet circuitry. I have searched and have found no evidence of MosFet circuitry for this unit, including on the Electrosport.com website. [I have submitted this question to Jaws and Electrosport.]
They did not even add any padding or bubble wrap to the shipment, 3,500 miles across the ocean and it only had some plastic taped around the original box the unit came in. For $56.00 you would think they could at least put some bubble wrap around it.
Word to the wise

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, that is NOT like my Jaws experience at all. Can you let us know if they followed up with you and made things right?

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
Or Jack at Roadstercycle he started the whole MOSFET thing for me.

Roadstercycle

Reactions: adeyren

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,597 Posts
Actually right on bees. I got it mixed up. Work brain work.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The lesson here is always to have a good look around before you hand over your hard-earned wad.

JAWS motorcycles is a great resource for Blackbird parts, but over the years I've found that the exact same products available from JAWS are often available from other outlets at considerably lower prices. I've had first-hand experience of this with air filters, brake pads, YSS rear shock absorber, radiator, Armstrong brake discs etc.

The internet offers endless opportunities for saving money when buying parts, but the one thing I've always been confident of with JAWS is that the quality of the parts I've bought in the past has always been reliable.

As the saying goes: "you pays your money and you takes your choice".

·
Registered
601 Posts
The people at jaws are nice but they are merchants and not electrial or mechanical techs
They buy and sell what is on the market for a profit
They do not personally run test or technically evaluate the items they sell
The track record on the internet for electro --- rr is poor and the return rate of the product is high
I have a packing box of their rr and its made in guangzhou as,are all the other china ones
I bought on ebay a facsimile of this product and did a full evaluation of it using a ir temp gauge and current and voltage readings and it failed my test miserably
Notably the seller who claimd to be in france but is actually chinese has not agreed to make a refund
So far the only units that actually in my experience work are shindengen and ricks
Im going to try a so called "uk make" in the next weeks and will report on the findings in due course
The whole rr thing is a minefield with lots of fairytales and misleading information
Being as that can seriously damage the bike its high time the truth comes out
Paul

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
Paul
Have you looked at Jack's product at raodstercycles.com as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got through 3 replacement regulators in the 6 years I've owned my Blackbird- One off David Silvers which failed after a couple of months, one off Jaws which failed after three months, the current one was a cheap one off e-bay which has lasted a year but is now dead. I got the money back from Silvers and Jaws but I'm asking which is the best? Is it the JMP one, is it worth the money? It may well be that my bike had not had the wiring loom connector problem sorted until the last month but all the same, this is getting tedious.

·
Registered
911 Posts
This is a common issue. There are many threads dealing with this exact problem. What I and many others here have done is install a REAL mosfet R/R. In my opinion, this is the only way to "fix it and forget it". Check out this site Home for loads of info on the subject and also real deal units for sale. I used an FH020AA "superkit" myself many years ago. No issues. Some upgraded to the SH848 which is the ultimate. cbrpaul has written extensively about this and may have figured some options this side of the pond as this site is in the US.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts