Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have read through the threads on here regarding the Jaws kit.
Think I am going to buy this and also the extended brake,clutch and throttle cables just in case.
My question is, would the brakes have to be bled either keeping the original cable or replacing with the extended one , ie are the cables plug n play ?
And is there much difference to the riding position with stock bars on Jaws risers which I currently have.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you replace a brake line you are going to have to bleed the brakes.
Same with the clutch line - if you replace it - you will need to bleed the clutch.

The straight bars are higher and closer to you than the risers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Deano, pretty much as I thought, off it goes to the shop then.
Good news against the risers .
Cheers

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I didn't have to change the brake or clutch lines,only the throttle cables. Since the conversion, I have put braided lines on. The clutch line is now longer, but the brake is still standard length. I have even added a riser kit to the straight bars without needing to change the brake line.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did the conversion as well 4 months ago, really comfy, I did longer throttle and clutch line, I rerouted the oem brake line, but I have since added extended hel full brake line all from jaws, great place for kit. The nodule sticky out bits on at least the brake master cylinder needs taking off, I left it on to start with, but because of the bend in the oem brake line that bolts to the master cylinder it looked kinda funky.
Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle White Car
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Fuel tank Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Oooo, you have nice black bars. They sent cheapo looking silver in my kit. Might change them for black renthals if I keep the bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oooo, you have nice black bars. They sent cheapo looking silver in my kit. Might change them for black renthals if I keep the bike.
I think the black bars are bikeit brand, medium bars, I also bought heavy aftermarket bar ends of ebay, I think there steel ones, way better than light weight aftermarket aluminium ones, stops the high pitch vibs over distances. I did put a set of renthal bars up to the bracket to see how they would be, and they would have been touching the tank on full lock to lock, you mite be better getting them of jaws, saves the guesswork. I've converted my last 2 bikes fireblades to flat bars in the past using a cool n comfy conversions, all need a bit of input to fit right, but they used the renthal low bars, and like I said, if you use renthal low bars with the brackets off jaws, they will hit the tank.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed with the Jaws straight bar kit you can choose your colour, I would actually go for the black bars too ( great pics there Bikerian )
I am in a real quandary at the moment , I love my Blackbird and have spent ££££££'s on her, just this week I have put all new Brembo brake pads on her and I am about to put a new shock on the rear but she is getting close to sixty thousand miles ( still runs like new ) but with those miles ( we all know its nothing for a Blackbird ) I guess I am not adding to possible sale value ?

I have got arthritis really bad, despite having Jaws risers I am still riding in a crotched position and it now kills my kneck and shoulders after about an hour , also my knees become very sore but once the pain kicks in it can really get to me and riding whilst grimacing is no fun ,I can counteract this if I make regular stops and stretch out , but if you are on a ride out it can become pretty laborious for your chums in the group, hence while I choose to ride alone when going to and home from a weekend rally.

I have honestly thought about going to a scooter, a good mate of mine has a X-ADV , he has fully accessorised it and its brilliant, I tried one in a local dealer and its still awkard to get on ( its no step through ) but the seating position was great and of course you have multi positions for your feet and the laziness of Hondas brilliant DCT system if you want it.

So decisions,decisions ................

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I think it is time to move it on and find something else. I wouldn't even bother with the bar conversion. I know others will disagree, but there just isn't and answer to scrunched up knees IMHO. No point trying to make a bike into something it just isn't. I have had mine 5 years plus and tried lots of things to make it suit me, but without having 12" taken out of my legs I will always be scrunched up. I haven't had the funds to change, but with my partner now wanting to come out on a bike, I want to get something I have more room on. It makes me feel unsafe sometimes, having my legs wedged into a sports position.

·
Administrator
9,296 Posts
Have to agree with woodwizard. All your points head you in the direction of a change.

Reactions: Bigmc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I have read through the threads on here regarding the Jaws kit.
Think I am going to buy this and also the extended brake,clutch and throttle cables just in case.
My question is, would the brakes have to be bled either keeping the original cable or replacing with the extended one , ie are the cables plug n play ?
And is there much difference to the riding position with stock bars on Jaws risers which I currently have.
hi beestoys I brought the jaws conversion kit and fitted the throttle cable only did not need a new brake and clutch cable.
my blackbird is year 2000 and its the best thing I ever did so mush more upright in the saddle better ride
you may be able to see in the pictures. all the best russell

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts