Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,869 Posts
I appreciate the offer. It’s on my long list however, that price seems sky high compared to another ‘98 I found through face book about an hour and a half away. About the same miles and $1200 less.
This particular one....who does this to levers???

On another note. Aren’t the ‘98 models the last of the carburetors and ‘99+ were all fuel injected? I’m starting to lean toward Fi only after talking to a couple riders in my area and their recommendations related to taking bikes over the pass. Going from 300’ to 3,000’ and back down allegedly is something to consider. I haven’t ridden since I moved here from flat land.
Some say the carbed bikes were a tad quicker on getting going. Me, I love fuel injection. Less problems with storage because the gas is not open to evaporate as it is in a carb. Also when changing elevations the FI leans itself as needed and you just keep on going. I learned in the early 90's that fuel injection was wonderful when going anywhere near the mountains. I have heard that some of the early 99's were still carbed. But that was the first year for fuel injection. Don't let color slow you down from buying a color you don't like because there is a thread on here where you can get all new plastics and enough paint to repaint your tank and it is quality fitting plastics for $410 shipped. If I remember correctly it was Ultra_suppliers.com or something like that and I think it was DaveJB who posted the thread. MapleXX bought some and said they were great. You just have to put the heat shield on the inner fairings. Beestoy would most likely know too. If you have great looking Glory Red panels that need a new home in the future... Well, I'll adopt them!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
BirdDog
530 Posts
Beestoys is right! But if all is groovy, ask seller about and address every bearing(s) (especially steering, swing arm and wheel bearing(s)...
If well maintained...you should be fine!

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
And I think I can speak for most here if you see one and want one of us to take a first hand look then give a holler.

·
Registered
176 Posts
:hmm:...... 183,000mls :)eek:.... that's nearly 300,000kms)....... what about the brakes? The hoses may be flexing and the rotors may need replacing, and the rest :eyebrows:..... all the usual used bike inspection stuff........ but, you cannot update the weight and the lack of ABS, no matter the stirling reputation of the BB...... it is now 20+yo - ok if you are into complete rebuilds/modifying and are looking for a project - like Beestoys with new forks etc to bring the old girl into the 20th century.

What about a ZZR1400 Ninja with Ohlins suspension and ABS....... they sell pretty cheap here in Aus (low km 2019 models)...... may be the same over your side of the rock......... at least that's world's best suspension, ABS brakes annnnnd 200hp in a younger chassis :clap:.......... still not in the IMU software age, but one hell of a BB substitute:thumb:.

PS Those bent levers in the pic above are from being dropped...... oem Honda levers bend like that, whereas cheaper aftermarket levers break. Also, the carby model's had quite a bit more Hp than the PGMFI models, but like all carbs, they need regular cleaning and adjusting to keep in tune whereas the FI stays in tune way longer....... so long as sensors etc keep working properly :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1997 (bought new) in NJ. It has 56K miles. Forced to stop riding due to heart attack. Ti-Force full titanium exhaust system and much more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just finished a Christmas phone call with my dad who is also a previous XX owner. He’s has been and still is reminding me how much I liked to ride and how much cases are going to cost me, AND that there are 2010-2012 ST1300s with three hard cases being advertised for about the same price as XXs without cases.

I suppose it’s at least something to consider.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1998 Blackbird with approx. 13.5 K a few scratches on fairing and one small dent on tank. Can send pics and additional info $3500 in Florida. Let me know. Bike is beautiful and all stock.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,869 Posts
Just finished a Christmas phone call with my dad who is also a previous XX owner. He’s has been and still is reminding me how much I liked to ride and how much cases are going to cost me, AND that there are 2010-2012 ST1300s with three hard cases being advertised for about the same price as XXs without cases.

I have an ST1300 ABS model and a 2015 Goldwing. Just gave the ST 1300 to the 21 year old son. I put GIVI bags and a top case on my CBR BB. Now when touring I do see the countryside more on the ST as I am up a little more. Otherwise I will take the BB.

·
Registered
176 Posts

A word of caution about ST1300's........ not one of Honda's best models unfortunately....... particularly the earlier 'non electric screen' models - reason is an ECU issue. They are worthless here in Aus as Honda never fixed the problem that afflicted them (they wouldn't run properly and often only revved to 4000rpms when affected) and of course they weigh over 300kg's before you sit on one!

My cousin was a senior m/c mechanic working for a big Honda dealership servicing police ST1300's when he noticed part of the wiring loom flexing with revs as the alternator's magnetic field created enough force to move the nearby wiring harness within the V of the engine....... he suspected it was the cause of ECU problems, but Honda didn't do anything to retro fix ST1300's. Later versions (with elect screen) seemed to be ok - but I wouldn't know if there have been any further issues.......However, they are still big fat whales and we don't see many as police bikes these days (mostly Yamaha FJR1300's or R1200RT's).

Keep looking for a well maintained BB without Chinese fairing panels or bent levers and dubious maintenance history..... or be prepared to strip and rebuild one to modern specs as a project bike :thumb:.

PS That one with 183k miles - are they gonna pay you to take it away? At that mileage, with non standard fairing cone and probably not running for years, they are dreaming if they expect $2k....... hell, my 05BB has only 130k kms (about 70k miles) and it's basically 'too old' for resale as I'd probably only get the same money for it as the 183k mile'r...... yet mine runs perfectly as I have owned it from new and have fanatically maintained it 1100xx local fore shore 6am 10.2.18.jpg ......... cruel world eh ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes, so cruel lol.
After more and more nationwide market research, I’m significantly lowering my budget. I should be under $4,300 after tax and registration for a bike around 30k miles or less.

Another ‘98 model has come up for sale in my area. It’s tempting, however, I’d like to hold out for Fi. I’m particular about the instrument cluster too as I never liked the digital dash.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,869 Posts
Another ‘98 model has come up for sale in my area. It’s tempting, however, I’d like to hold out for Fi. I’m particular about the instrument cluster too as I never liked the digital dash.[/QUOTE]

Then you better look for a 99. I believe that the early FI models have the older dash.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Started a conversation with a guy in the San Diego are. He’s got an all stock ‘99 within my new range.

Anyone live near SD? He’s in a town about an hour north of the city.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,869 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,869 Posts
And as you pointed out, it’s missing a few pieces. What else is missing?
Yes, Beestoy said he actually saw this bike so I would ask him.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,869 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts

Up until VERY recently (last week), I was going to give my wife my BB and buy an ST1300. Then I woke her up out of her winter slumber and came to my senses.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts