Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m shopping for a XX having previously owned one and am getting back to riding. We all want a great deal and I expect to pay $4000-$6000. However, there’s 2000 model in my area with 183,000 miles for less than $2k and has a after market upper cowling and front fender that are white. Allegedly it runs.

The sane side of my mind says stay away. The other side says, I have all the tools to refinish all the trim and the tank (I really do) so everything would match but, wouldn’t be factory. Anything else is likely a trip to the dealer/shop. What could possibly go wrong?

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Not that I have found. If the oil and filter has been changed regularly then you should be good once you give a look over. Got 193,000 on mine same titanium version.

Reactions: deadman

·
Registered
587 Posts
+1 on beestoys. Still, the loom can corrode and the ECU can fail giving code 25 and go into low power mode. Both these items are hard to find used, forget new. Make sure the FI light illuminates briefly when you turn the key, then goes out and stays out. With those miles and unknown history you should be in a good bargaining position.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,892 Posts
I’m shopping for a XX having previously owned one and am getting back to riding. We all want a great deal and I expect to pay $4000-$6000. However, there’s 2000 model in my area with 183,000 miles for less than $2k and has a after market upper cowling and front fender that are white. Allegedly it runs.

The sane side of my mind says stay away. The other side says, I have all the tools to refinish all the trim and the tank (I really do) so everything would match but, wouldn’t be factory. Anything else is likely a trip to the dealer/shop. What could possibly go wrong?
Everything and then maybe nothing. How's that for a conclusive answer? One would think that if someone got a Bird to those miles he must have been taking care of it along the way too.
So really you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well,*do*ya,*punk?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Look at it this way- you will have 2k+ of your budget still in pocket if needed and as stated, to get to that mileage it's probably been looked after. Go look and see what your heart says. Good luck on the hunt

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
In my view it will all come down to three things:

1) how well the bike was maintained (and whether there has been attention to replacing things that wear out),
2) how the bike was stored, and
3) luck.

Which isnt any different to any used vehicle purchase...

At 183,000 miles the bike will have performed a lot of work and is without doubt well past its intended factory life. Lets keep the maths simple and assume all that distance was at 60mph. (1 mile per minute). At 60 mph a bird is sitting around 4000 rpm, so that is 4000 revolutions per mile. So that engine will have rotated at least 750 Million times, plus more allowing for idling. The transmission and wheels have been rotating and the suspension been working for 183,000 minutes, which is 127 days non stop. There has to be some wear going on in there somewhere. You might be looking at some new steering head and wheel bearings if they haven't been done. But we all know the engines are bulletproof, that the suspension was probably shot by 50,000 miles anyway.

The big question is whether there will be some odd electrical gremlin emerge, and that's impossible to know.

You should also get an answer as to why the cowling and front fender were replaced - potential frame damage?

·
Registered
349 Posts
the bird is one of the best built bikes of all time, however why piss around with a bike with that kind of mileage when you could find a nice low mile one that will have much more life left in it for not a lot more.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,892 Posts
the bird is one of the best built bikes of all time, however why piss around with a bike with that kind of mileage when you could find a nice low mile one that will have much more life left in it for not a lot more.
True, you can find low mile bikes. I found a 7000 mile bike in 2013 for $3500. I know of others around the 4000 dollar mark.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like what everyone is saying.

After some more digging, I see they've had this bike for at least 12 days and have dropped the price by $200 within the past 12 days. It's at used motorcycle and I can only image what low price they paid since they started it at $1950 and it's currently at $1750.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,892 Posts
I’m 1,700 miles away in Tacoma, WA. I was looking at that one last night and started doing the math on shipping vs driving. It’s more economical to have it shipped and they’ve had it since at least July. I wonder if they are motivated to sell.
I would think that they would be as it is now winter. I would expect them to drop the price... especially as it wasn't certified by them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you are interested, give them a call and ask for Steve. I know the price was just dropped from $4,100.00 or 4,200.00. I have some pix of the little flaws that I saw, and none look like a product of being tipped over.

ominousone

·
Registered
469 Posts
These bikes may well have legendary build quality with bullet proof engines but that is sky high miles, if it were me I would be looking else where for sure., I know Beestoys has done more on his bike but he knows whats been done.
Like other posters have said you will pick up a bike with far fewer miles for just a liitle more dosh .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah I think y’all are right.
I’ve come to realize that I wouldn’t mind having a bike with 183,000 miles that “runs like a champ”. However, I’d rather put on the next 150,000 miles or more.

The hold out will be color, quality, and model year. The ‘98-‘00 years are special to me and I’d like to be back in that again in black, with titanium being the second. I never cared for the red or silver. There’s a silver colored model in my area but...nah.

I had thoughts last night of taking a titanium model and refinishing the trim and fender in a alpine/storm trooper white and very subtle light grey AR bolt face on each side of the lower fairings that takes up most of the fairing. Stock exhaust would be made matte black.

Then when the inevitable scratches occur eventually it would get down to the titanium color and make an interesting worn look.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
It's got a little work in it (mine). More being mods than repairs. Has the original shims since 18,000 miles when I bought it. Compression ratios are still in the 175 to 180 range with less than 5% leak down on all 4 if memory serves me right. Busa front end nitron r2 rear shock shimmer 2 mm with 4mm set into the shock to match the ohlins I run when we're double up and wing racked. Power commander 3 USB until the 5 comes out for us. (Hoping early next year). Custom mapped real time driving tune. 2 brothers carbon slip ons with a modified inlet flange. K&N filter. Have ran synthetic in it since the day I bought it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a good bit of mods.

Well, I've already ran into one potential scammer on Cycletrader. The ad says it's in one place and the guy responds to my inquiry and says it's in a different state and that he's out of the country.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
I have to agree with the above though. Spend the little extra for a lower miles one then you can enjoy racking up the miles like me��

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now you said that you liked the black 98's right? Well this one is 55 miles from me and I could go take a look at it if you were serious about it. It's in Wisconsin but could be shipped.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1998-Honda-CBR-1100XX-Blackbird-5007140918

I appreciate the offer. It’s on my long list however, that price seems sky high compared to another ‘98 I found through face book about an hour and a half away. About the same miles and $1200 less.
This particular one....who does this to levers???

On another note. Aren’t the ‘98 models the last of the carburetors and ‘99+ were all fuel injected? I’m starting to lean toward Fi only after talking to a couple riders in my area and their recommendations related to taking bikes over the pass. Going from 300’ to 3,000’ and back down allegedly is something to consider. I haven’t ridden since I moved here from flat land.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts