Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 Carby was running very well and suddenly under accelleration the sump fractured and a large chunk also took a piece of fairing with it. All the oil dumped out but i managed to switch it off. The engine has not seized. I read that there is a pressure relief valve in the sump. Could this cause the damage described? Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Are you sure you didn't run over something? If not that day then prior? Good for you in shutting it down in time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you didn't run over something? If not that day then prior? Good for you in shutting it down in time.
Thanks for your reply. I was wearing a GoPro when it blew i deffo didn't run over anything at the time but you may have helped as the day before i had an incident when unloading it from a van. Thankyou

·
Super Moderator
8,451 Posts
Oil pressure won't do this. The sump would only see atmosphere. If there were anything greater you'd be popping seals first. Best guess is as been suggested you took a hit off something in the street.

Reactions: petead23

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. This forum is deffo the best! Got replacement sump ordered fingers crossed nothing else was damaged.

·
Super Moderator
8,451 Posts
Pete
You can T off the oil pressure switches location. Then install a oil pressure gauge. You should see 71psi at 5000 rpm. One member was seeing like 40 psi cold and then it dropped to like 20 psi I think. So if you put in the guage and you get these readings you should be pretty safe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pete
You can T off the oil pressure switches location. Then install a oil pressure gauge. You should see 71psi at 5000 rpm. One member was seeing like 40 psi cold and then it dropped to like 20 psi I think. So if you put in the guage and you get these readings you should be pretty safe.
Thankyou. Will check when bike is back together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts