Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I spend 8 nine years and bought 10 similar bikes looking for an XX replacement. I learned the hard way that there is nothing else like it, I bought my second bird last fall and can't see myself riding anything else for many years. Blackbird evoke passion, that's very rare I've found.

·
Registered
314 Posts
In some collector circles the XX is considered quite the benchmark model, meaning one that had established very high standards of sophistication, performance, and reliability for its time. Even today, such standards are very rarely met, much less surpassed. To be more specific, such high standards are typically not collectively found in many singular model motorcycles--something always seems to be lacking. Not surprisingly, the debates rage on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have owned 2 ZX14's and currently have a 2015 K1300s Both are faster than the bird but neither is as reliable. The ZX14 is by far the fastest of the 3 and a very good bike. If you go for the K1300s buy one of the last years 2012-2016 in the US. The earlier K1300S had problems with low end fueling and the clutch. Nobody matches Japanese quality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A newer Blackbird maybe, i read a column in motor cycle news last week by the Honda guy that worked on the Blackbird and he said one of his biggest regrets was he never got to make a replacement for the Blackbird because he felt it couldnt be improved.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A newer Blackbird maybe, i read a column in motor cycle news last week by the Honda guy that worked on the Blackbird and he said one of his biggest regrets was he never got to make a replacement for the Blackbird because he felt it couldnt be improved.
omg lol if he rode one he might change his mind

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had three Birds ('97, '99, '00) and loved all three because they perfectly fit my 5'8" height. I don't know if there is a replacement. Like DAngel says... "exercise in excellence".
I've ridden the BMW K1300s. Its okay but it just doesn't feel or handle like a Bird. I haven't found a bike that does.
All I can say is,...when I reach that age when I can't swing my leg up and over anymore, I think the only replacement for me will be a HD Breakout with a 114 Milwaukee 8.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I owned a carby a couple of years ago a black one.sadly pxd it for my zzr1400 which I love. And very recently bought another carby which I will not sell. Both bikes are excellent and have different characteristics. The blackbird has imo has more of a soul.. 🤔 I know that doesn't make any sense 🤗😂

·
Registered
35 Posts
A couple years late - any other ideas on alternatives?
Always looking for ZZR 1400 and BUSA in his segment, but never buy one. Before this last Bird, i almost buy a ZZR 1400 but It doesn,t seem to be so reliable as the XX.

In other types of bike, for me, nothing like the BMW S 1000 XR. I,ve rode 2 hours with one of the first generation, and I remember every single corner. WHAT A MACHINE!!!

Regards!!

Enviado desde mi HD1903 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sadly I don't think there will be any replacement for the bird. There just isn't enough market to justify the cost. Word among the dealers here in the US is that both the ZX14R and the hayabusa will cease production after 2021.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've only just got my 98' blackbird efi, I totally love it but moreso the fact it's a 'proper bike' it's almost 20 years old now but it still keeps up with modern bikes costing lots more. It's comfortable and big enough for me cos I'm 6'3. When I park up at my local bike spot amongst the waves of gsxrs and bandits and cruisers I feel proud knowing it's a respected bike. I was wondering though- is there modern alternative? Maybe a Kawasaki 1400? Bmw k1200s? I can't think of a bike that is comfortable, stupidly fast if needed and has the pedigree of a bb. When I look a 'busa's I just think of speed for it wouldn't be suitable for my commuting needs.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Kawasaki Concourse. I have a 2000 bird and a Concorse. I love the bird but the Kawasaki Concourse matches the bird in every respect and is way more comfortable for touring. It's only drawback is its width and protruding mirrors that are like elephant ears. Although they fold it's still a bit tricky when negotiating between cars

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree Mallow1 !
My'00 still has alot of KMs left in the engine and I'm not willing to give her up just yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
like you say,20 years on and still relatively comparable to a lot of bikes now.it wont touch a lot of them for speed but.20 years is 20 years.it will be out accelerated by most of the top 10 now days.but like you say,it has respect by those in the know!!!
To me the blackbird is the best all round package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
I mentioned that I rode a blackbird to a retired (New Orleans Honda motorcycle dealer) mechanic. He said, "yes, I remember them, we had 2 in the showroom, for ever. No one wanted them. They were black. Ha."
We on this forum may say one thing. The market says otherwise. Honda listens to the market.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts