Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only just got my 98' blackbird efi, I totally love it but moreso the fact it's a 'proper bike' it's almost 20 years old now but it still keeps up with modern bikes costing lots more. It's comfortable and big enough for me cos I'm 6'3. When I park up at my local bike spot amongst the waves of gsxrs and bandits and cruisers I feel proud knowing it's a respected bike. I was wondering though- is there modern alternative? Maybe a Kawasaki 1400? Bmw k1200s? I can't think of a bike that is comfortable, stupidly fast if needed and has the pedigree of a bb. When I look a 'busa's I just think of speed for it wouldn't be suitable for my commuting needs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
like you say,20 years on and still relatively comparable to a lot of bikes now.it wont touch a lot of them for speed but.20 years is 20 years.it will be out accelerated by most of the top 10 now days.but like you say,it has respect by those in the know!!!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
My pick for looks, power and ergonomics close to the BB would be the K1300S BMW. Though I've never ridden one, I've read about them and have looked at a few. For the price and how close the two bikes are functionally the BB is the better of the two. Yes the BB is 20yrs old and still not much tops it in any area except speed. Though the other bikes have bigger engines to do it with.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Never ridden a K1300S but the ZX-14R is surprisingly much wider than the Bird, making it quite a pain in the bum to be cheeky in traffic, I did not regard it anywhere near as suitable for commuting on.

Best commuting motorcycle I have ever owned was a 1050 Tiger

Most versatile "full speed" (electronically limited to 299kph) bike I have ever owned is without a doubt the Blackbird

Most aggressive motorcycle I have ever owned was the ZX-14R

·
Registered
602 Posts
If it's a '98, it's a very nice quad-carb engine rather than efi. Welcome to the best bike you will ever own. :) If you want to fit new clip-ons and cans, usd forks and such you can modernise it enough I reckon. Fit a concrete slab instead of a seat and it's like a brand new sports bike!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just because a newer bike, car, or whatever is faster doesn't mean its better. At certain points in time a company just gets a design "right". The bird is one of these designs that was pretty much on the money first time out.(in the car world the e39 m5 comes to mind) I have had faster bikes than the bird, but the extra power isn't usable on the road(a bike can only accelerate so hard before it will wheelie) so it really comes down to the total ownership experience which is where the bird excels. The vfr 1200, zx 14 and the k1300 are probably the modern replacements for the bird, but none will really replace her timeless design. I may be a fool for doing so, but I am hoarding enough new and used parts to keep my girl on the road for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Congratulations !

I always tell people that, if they have a question about the Blackbird, they will find the answer here . . .

Not for this question.

Anyway. . .

Why would you need an alternative if you cam get the real stuff ?l

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Certainly is - ZZR14, 'Busa or K13S are really the only true alternatives. And within that group, the Busa and the ZZR focus on the speed part of the Bird's legacy (very deliberately, obviously) - they're both appreciably faster, whereas the K13 goes for the comfort/touring bit. It's easier to ride day-to-day than all of them and only marginally faster/quicker then the BB. All of them have plusses and minuses. Just like the Bird, really. They all learned from the original, stuck with the basic formula and went from there, in their own way.

All more expensive, mind. :D

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mines a Dec '98 so the first of the injections. I'm kinda glad cos I'm lazy and don't want to have to use a fuel tap.
I always thought EFI was introduced in late 99, as mine is an early 99 carb. The stickers were wrong on mine when I bought it because someone has previously resprayed it dark blue and made that mistake.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I rode a zzr 1400 and it was incredible.Rode it for over 2 hours in heavy traffic , long straights and lots of twisties . Easy to drive at low ,medium and fast speeds. Handles well and is very easy to manage.
I was going to buy it but when it came down to it I figured didn't really need the extra speed and at my age the Blackbird is more than enough . The only problem with my Blackbird is its age and all of the little things that need attention .
Just like me .

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
...... The only problem with my Blackbird is its age and all of the little things that need attention .
Just like me .
I'm having a battle with my 'daily Bird', who is going to be 'past it' first ...... Bird winning handsomely at present :rolleyes:

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,899 Posts
I was just perusing the Motus Web site.

Reactions: BCBird

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was just perusing the Motus Web site.
I was following them since they came out but cannot bring myself around to paying that much, and money is not an issue - you don't get money by throwing it away.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts