Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Is one of these worth it, please help!

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  TigreST 
#1 ·
Need to get a new change but don't have a lot of money and i know i have posted like this before but I'm just in a hurry right now haha. Anyway will someone please tell me if any of these chains and sprockets are worth it. keeping in mind i want the cheapest possible that will still work alright.

JT 530 O Ring Chain 17 41 T Sprocket Kit 70 9911 for Honda | eBay

JT 530 x Ring Chain 17 41 T Sprocket Kit 71 3413 for Honda | eBay

id prefer one of the top two but if not theres this one too

Warranty 530 Vortex Chain Sprockets Kit for Honda CBR1000RR 04 05 | eBay

#2 ·
Peter Quill,
Fellow CBR0954 pilot, friend and site member here, is running one of the Vortex set ups to test out a new drive ratio. Time will tell as to how well the treated alum. rear sprocket holds up under his use/abuse. I have no experience with Vortex hardware to relate. I tend to go with steel or similar (SuperSprox) in this area. Will have to see how Moe's Vortex alum. performs.
Just side note: The stock North American spec ratio is 17-45, the Euro spec ratio tends to be 17-44. Be sure you get the ratio you want/need before you purchase. I'm running the Euro spec 17-44 which helps reduce speedo error. Some like a bit more "snap" with the 16-45 and similar. You can play with the ratio's and see the effects to rpm/speed/etc here:

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

The Blackbird is in the data base.

T.

#6 ·
The first one the chain is to small at 108 links. The bird takes a 110 link chain. X,O ring or what ever doesn't really matter when your buying cheap stuff. You need at least a 9000lb tinsel strength chain just to get by. Front sprocket 16 for wheelies, 17 stock, 18 for cruising the rear 44 or 45 tooth steel.

Don't expect any length of time from a chain this cheap. Keep an eye on the adjustment. The sprockets should be ok though. Keep looking. Or email/call them and see what they will do for you.

Reactions: SouthTexas11XX
#7 ·
Look for JT steel sprockets as mentioned, front 16,17 or 18T and rear 44 or 45. They are cheap but will last. DID make a cheap chain. It's the VX from memory. It is up to the job BUT don't expect it to last long before it stretches and you'll be in the same boat. Pay the money for a decent chain and in the long run you'll get way better value, especially if your paying someone to fit. I found an EK ZZZ reasonably cheap at $200 OZ which equates to around $150US and for us Aussies, that a great deal. Hope this helps :)

#9 ·
Stay away from cheap chains.Some things are worth paying more for,chains are one of them.Somewhere there is a deal on a decent chain.
Exactly!

The only time a cheap chain MIGHT be a good option is if you're only riding the bike a couple thousand miles a year and you keep on top of maintenance and adjustments. If you're putting on any kind of mileage or using the bike for touring, invest in a good chain and steel sprockets and you'll save money in the long run.

I gave up on cheap chains with my last bike as I was having to replace them after 8,000 -- that's not even a full season for me. Now I run only DID X-ring and can easily get 25,000 miles or more from a chain.

#10 ·
Whilst I have imported a lot of OE parts from the States over the years the exchange rate has swung heavily the other way in the last two weeks.
Economic sense to start importing from the UK??????? I don't know about local import taxes 'over there' so no idea if this makes sense financially but thought I might as well throw this into the mix.

Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird DID Gold X-Ring Chain & JT Sprockets Kit Set | eBay
(link to a small motorcycle dealer but all the major aftermarket parts suppliers are about the same price currently)

#13 ·
Bit late
But you need to aim for tensile strength for your chain, cbr1000 chains require a less tensile strength .
DiD zvmx 530 gold with rear superSprox sprocket is the way.

#14 · (Edited)
To add a little caveot to the discussions. The bb is a little heavy and makes a large amount of power. There have been a few occasions when lesser chains have been parted. The exit route goes one of 2 ways, out the back or ball up between the output shaft and the case.
On that note you could run the lesser chain with a lot of caution til you can upgrade. But be very careful.
I'll second the Supersprox and run the stock front cush it'll save the output shaft splines.
As long as one of these is rated at least 10,000 psi tensile strength your absolutely safe.

#15 · (Edited)
You may not go far wrong with OEM hardware. Honda does a one stop shopping kit for a drive chain and sprocket replacement. This may or may not come at a cost savings ($254.00usd) but it for sure will meet the requirements of the service.
David Silver Spares USA carry the kits, part # 06406-MAT-E01, which I believe is a 17-45 ratio set (need to double check that info). DSS U.K. offer the same set in the Euro spec ratio of 17-44 which I have purchased and used before. Just something to consider.

https://www.davidsilverspares.com/CBR1100XX1-SUPER-BLACKBIRD-2001/part_55557/

T.

p.s. I just counted the rear sprocket teeth in the picture...I think this may be the Euro spec set 17-44 (the eyes are the third thing to go).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.