Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Spring, 2005. This installation was for a Wilbers shock, but the procedure is pretty much the same for any aftermarket shock.

After you place the bike on the centerstand, you'll want to use a block of wood and a scissors-jack to lift the swingarm just enough to relieve the tension on the upper shock bolt:

View attachment 789

With the fuel tank removed, now you can remove that nasty old factory shock. The locknut (far side wrench) is 17mm, the bolt head (near side wrench) is a 14mm:

View attachment 790

It seems to take forever to unthread the top-bolt, it goes on and on and on....

View attachment 791

Here's the crusty old Showa next to the shiny new Wilbers. The Wilbers is 5mm longer, eyelet-to-eyelet:

View attachment 792

Here is the initial test-fit of the new Wilbers . I ended up rotating the shock 180-degrees so that the remote reservoir and remote pre-load are affixed to the right-hand-side of the bike:

TestFit.jpg

Here's the remote reservoir installed:

View attachment 792

Job complete! Here's the Remote Preload Adjustment Knob in its final orientation:

1Preload1.jpg

Now to set static sag, and dial in the rear shock. Pretty tasty hardware, is it not? :thumb:

·
Registered
759 Posts
If I may throw a couple more shots on there from the Ohlins aftermarket replacement. It's been on for a few years but I resprung the front and the rear needed the same so I switched out springs to a big heavy so da wife and I can two up double knee drag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To do the rear shock replacement is it necessary to remove the rear wheel?

I got me a new Hagon custom to install this weekend.

Cheers

Tok

·
Registered
977 Posts
No, its not.
+1 All you really need to do is undo the top mount and loosen the bolts on the triangular linkage at the bottom ;) The shock can then be dropped/lifted out and the new one put in :)
If the new shock has a remote reservoir then you'll need to figure out somewhere to mount that but that's quite easy ;)

If you haven't done the shock shim it would also be a good time to do that by slipping an appropriate 3-6mm shim on top of the shock mount where it bolts to the frame to quicken the steering if you want to do that :thumb:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well its meant to be a fairly straight forward job and a dab hand could finish it in about half an hour so that means two hours for me !!!
Anyway heres a very short vid from you tube showing the job.
I see the OP is around 12 years old btw.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V_HHdisetUs
Yeah I fitted a resprung 95 CBR900RR shock to mine and I think it took around an hour and a half including putting a 6mm shim in ;)
~1/2 of that was working out somewhere for the remote reservoir ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts