Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there I've got a 98 carb model that I'm rebuilding and inside the inlet airway on the top of the lower front cowling there is a white plastic flap that must restrict air to the the air filter vent ? Ive read that the flaps that are screwed down separate air from the oil cooler and the air filter but are the ones that sit upright in slots either side of the cowling important ? I've only got one side so I'm thinking do i make 1 out of of 1mm abs or take the remaining 1 out ?

Jono

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I lost one of mine a while ago. Is it important? I take the view that a manufacturer is unlikely to add additional cost unnecessarily (makes no commercual sense). So I decided to replace it.

Rare as hens teeth to source OEM so I made a new one out of a tuppaware lid of approx same thickness plastic (using the other side as a template). Seems to be still working for me 4+ years later.

·
Registered
964 Posts
They are "AIR DAMS" and are there to help prevent ram air effect on the carb bikes.
If they are missing the bike tends to run like crap around 4000rpm and up when moving.
( you won't feel any crap running if the bike is stood still and you rev it because there is no flowing air )

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
They are "AIR DAMS" and are there to help prevent ram air effect on the carb bikes.
If they are missing the bike tends to run like crap around 4000rpm and up when moving.
( you won't feel any crap running if the bike is stood still and you rev it because there is no flowing air )
There are a few threads on this forum where people have discussed the bike running out of puff over 130kph (80mph). In most cases it was these air dams missing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts