Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Recently bought a 2005 bird with 27k on the clock. Its my third bird but first injected.
Ive done just over 1k miles in the last month since buying without problem, nice bike. Then last week during the hot spell i was shifting down the motorway in the outside line between cameras and the engine just cut out. Started to manouvre over to shoulder but as i reached the shoulder still doing around 50mph it kicked back in again, shit me up a little but i just presumed it was a dirty fuel problem as tank was low so i jumped off at the next junction and filled up. All fine after that and done a couple of hundred miles since with no issue.
However............today whilst out i hit the first rbout from home and it cut out again, leaving me stranded on inside lane of major roundabout. F1 light was on along with all other ignition lights, tried the starter and away it went, started like nothing had ever happened.
Got on the motorway did a few miles and it cut out again, took me right to stopped. Tried starter after half a minute and it started again. Then did 100 miles or so without incident but it has obviously left me with a concern so i will be investigating tomorrow.
All ideas and thoughts as to the potential cause are welcome, i am no expert but can swing a spanner so would prefer to have a good look myself before reaching out for professional re expensive help.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Check the starter solenoid top, the red cap with 4 spades in that plugs into it, I've had a problem in the past were PO didn't properly clip the red cap down in to the top of it on 1 of my other bikes.
Like already been mentioned, check ignition key bottom for bad solder joints.
Has the loom fix ever been done?
Check your fuses, if you have spares change them.
Oh and make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.

·
Registered
566 Posts
:unsure:..........Hmmmm, could be anything.......not normal as I have an 05BB with 81k miles and have never had a flame out........errr, well, it did fail to proceed once, by draining the battery to empty, so not an intermittent fault 😆.

The randomness of the issue could mean something is loose/shorting somewhere. The miles are low, but maybe the key is worn or as mentioned above, a solder joint has cracked......or been tampered with by persons unknown.......

I think you'll have to pull it's skirts off, lift the tank, and check everything...,earth's, plugs, anything that has been fiddled with by a PO or vibration or age.

I doubt it's a fuel issue but if it has sat unridden for years it could need a couple of injector cleaning treatments.

How's the side stand cut out switch! Loose or damaged...I've had to bypass one on a high mileage Yamaha so it would run - but it wouldn't start or run until I bypassed the switch so that doesn"t explain the intermittent stalling.

Could the tank be building a vacuum or the pump not getting enough power? While inspecting the fuel pump check under the roof of the tank for rust - that may cause silt to build up in the filter, but I"d expect the Bird to run badly all the time.

Try cleaning the starter button and other switch block contacts.....just in case. Check the charging output, but if it was draining the battery it would not restart...like what happened once with mine!

There is a leakage test that can identify if there is voltage/amps draining due a faulty component.

I don't think you will have a ' loom fix' issue as this mostly affected wet climate early birds with no rear hugger to keep the water spray away from the wiring harness .....but you don't know what prev owners have done or had done to it........

Run some charging system numbers by us to help zero in on the issue ...... stalling isn't normal so something is not right......is the idle set to 11-1200 rpm or is it too low at 900-1000rpm?

Check the workshop manual link in the forum resources section.......it might have a trouble shooting reference.

Good luck ......keep looking, your 05 should be as good as mine which has only ever suffered a stator coil failure at 45k miles.......fixed with a rewind, no damage to R/R and the battery charged up fine.

(y) PS very important to secure that ecu in the tail.......the rubber band rots with age and the ecu can bounce about if you haven't got lots of stuff stored in the tail section.

And check the battery.....what is it's 'cold start voltage'? - no charging/riding overnight, then voltmeter test on 1st start of day....should be higher than 9.5v if battery healthy but if under 9.5v, the battery is cactus.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Make sure the ECU is securely strapped down under the seat in the rear section, they don't like rattling about.
I would also check the charging rate.
This happened me, floppy ECU and one of the thin wires into it cracked. A pain to find it, but my delight when it fired up again after the fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,
Recently bought a 2005 bird with 27k on the clock. Its my third bird but first injected.
Ive done just over 1k miles in the last month since buying without problem, nice bike. Then last week during the hot spell i was shifting down the motorway in the outside line between cameras and the engine just cut out. Started to manouvre over to shoulder but as i reached the shoulder still doing around 50mph it kicked back in again, shit me up a little but i just presumed it was a dirty fuel problem as tank was low so i jumped off at the next junction and filled up. All fine after that and done a couple of hundred miles since with no issue.
However............today whilst out i hit the first rbout from home and it cut out again, leaving me stranded on inside lane of major roundabout. F1 light was on along with all other ignition lights, tried the starter and away it went, started like nothing had ever happened.
Got on the motorway did a few miles and it cut out again, took me right to stopped. Tried starter after half a minute and it started again. Then did 100 miles or so without incident but it has obviously left me with a concern so i will be investigating tomorrow.
All ideas and thoughts as to the potential cause are welcome, i am no expert but can swing a spanner so would prefer to have a good look myself before reaching out for professional re expensive help.
Hey buddy. Has the bike had the wiring loom fix? It tended to affect 99 and 00 injected bikes most, but I've heard other people having a similar issue too. There's a thread on how to repair the loom. It did it to my 99 model after about 30,000km and I just had to clean the said connector and remove corrosion. Apparently the "solder" method is best as it is a permanent fix. Here's a YT vid. The loom may be positioned in another location on your later model though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts