Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I need help.
I'm a proud owner for the past 2 years of the first generation North European production model Blackbird currently in Taiwan.
I would like to find more info on it's history.
On my bird on the little plack on the frame appears the following letters & numbers that do not appear on other yeas models

[N • HOMOLOGACION TIPO A - (1069) F.V.A.(96/6522)]

In a single line under the serial number, unlike in all the other models.
Can anyone help to decipher the meaning of this?
My motorcycle is of the North European production series.
Thanks for all the effort & help!!!

·
Registered
951 Posts
你好吗 BB Victor XX,
对不起,我不知道

However, "HOMOLOGACION TIPO A" is Spanish for "Approval Type A".

All imported vehicles from outside the European Community, need an individual Homologation and Type Approvals certificate, to pass the technical inspection for vehicles (ITV).

So at a guess your bird was imported into Spain from outside of the EU.

Type A is the European category for motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg. In other words a big powerful motorcycle not a little scooter/ moped.

What the numbers and letters thereafter mean, is beyond my knowledge.

Now there ought to be a VIN number on the frame. I think from that you ought to be able to identify which market your bike was manufactured for.

So you'd at least know country originally built for and it was outside of the EU. It was then imported into Spain (which is within the EU).

Wishing you good luck in your search and lots of fun riding your BB.

Regards Mallow1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
你好吗 BB Victor XX,
对不起,我不知道

However, "HOMOLOGACION TIPO A" is Spanish for "Approval Type A".

All imported vehicles from outside the European Community, need an individual Homologation and Type Approvals certificate, to pass the technical inspection for vehicles (ITV).

So at a guess your bird was imported into Spain from outside of the EU.

Type A is the European category for motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg. In other words a big powerful motorcycle not a little scooter/ moped.

What the numbers and letters thereafter mean, is beyond my knowledge.

Now there ought to be a VIN number on the frame. I think from that you ought to be able to identify which market your bike was manufactured for.

So you'd at least know country originally built for and it was outside of the EU. It was then imported into Spain (which is within the EU).

Wishing you good luck in your search and lots of fun riding your BB.

Regards Mallow1
Thanks for the information & the plot is thickening 😉

·
Registered
951 Posts
You are very welcome.

According to the following post here on CBRXx a "Northern European" bird (ref ND) was a carbie bird destined for the Finland/ Demark/ Norway market:
According to the owner's manual from (copyright) 1996 they specified these versions:
E - United Kingdom
G - Germany & Sweden [frame has HECS sticker]
ED - European Direct Sales: Belgium & Holland & Spain & Italy
F - France [had their own wacky French non-VIN frame number]
U - Australia
SW - Switzerland
AR - Austria
ND - Northern Europe: Finland & Norway & Denmark

Switching to the FI model the owner's manual (copyright 1998) specifies:
E - United Kingdom
SW - Switzerland
IIG - Germany (Model II) [frame has HECSIII sticker]
ED - European Direct Sales: Belgium & Holland & Spain & Italy & Finland & Norway & Portugal
F - France
U - Australia
SD - Sweden & Austria & Denmark
BR - Brasil

With the 2001 update Honda dropped the G-type and equipped al European models with the 3-way catalytic converter, but I don't have my 03 owner's manual nearby right now.
Australian U-types don't have a switch for the low/high beam nor a switch to switch on the head light. Aussies can't be trusted to switch on their lights???? I noticed my 03 bike also no longer has a main light switch on the right side.

Fuel tank of 96 owner's manual is rated at 22 liter.
In 1998 (FI) all types except for G & SW are rated at 24 liter fuel tank, G & SW have 23 liter for some reason.

Note this does not include USA or JDM bikes.
So a carbie bird built for the Finland/ Norway /Denmark market but imported into Spain though ultimately ending up in Taiwan!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts