Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my BB has developed an indicator shadow in the oppersite indicator.. by that i mean indicate left.. left comes on, but so does the right. ive had the wiring checked and been told all is ok..

Was thinking instriment cluster corrosion etc at the solder points.. but now also thinking (cheaper) either an earthing issue or the indicator switch?? any help/ideas???

my mechanical knowledge goes as far as opening the Hyans manual and looking confused, so please treat me as a novice if trying to tell me what to do...

Whats this loom fix i see ple talking about, is it something we all need to do?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
1. Could be the switch, which can be disassembled and cleaned or spray electrical contact cleaner thru the hole.
2. Take off the windscreen to look at the rear of the cluster for corrosion. Post pics if it is.
3. The loom fix is for fuel injected only. This is where a junction block hidden in the main loom (under tape) near the battery corrodes and causes intermittent, strange electrical maladies including having the FI light come on. The fix is to cut it out and solder the wires.
4. Lastly, you may have a short somewhere

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great stuff, Thanks, ill start with the indicator switch... the indicator fault started after it came out of a garage, after doing work on an electrical fault on the lights, i have always suspected they caused it, by shorting something, so will be second.. Thanks

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hi OF,

Bit more info would help (and FYI I'm no sparkie or mechanic either so my suggestions are just where I'd start to help narrow down the issue).

1. Are you saying if you indicate left all the right indicator lights come on too (dash, front and rear) so you are essentially flashing like hazard warning lights? Or are you saying only the dash light exhibits this "shadow" behaviour.
2. Whatever the answer to 1. is it also true if you indicate right too (i.e. left "shadows")
3. What year/ model is your Bird (carbie analogue dash, carbie digital dash, FI digital dash) with how many miles?
4. Hard life living outside in wet rainy or desert dry? Or garaged up and pampered to perfection? Jet washed?

I'd start with the easy stuff, spray some dw40 into your indicator switch and give it a good working in. If nothing improves, try taking your left switchgear off and giving the indicator switch a jolly good clean from the inside (two large screws on the underside of the switch gear. If you are a carbie careful not to take the choke friction assembly apart by mistake… small screw holding shiny plate in place on the underside of the choke. That holds a spring and a friction wedge, both of which are easily ejected and lost).
Many a weird side effect eminate from our switchgears as they age.

The flexible pcb in the dash are prone to corrode (the copper coloured ribbon wiring encased in plastic sheet turns blacker if corroded… do you have a multimeter so can test connections are okay? When repairing damaged areas some folk have used by-pass wire solded either side of corroded sections or others have used liquid contact pens to paint a new line then taped or lawuered over to insulate it).

Anyway, if cleaning the switch has nil effect and a quick swap out the indicator relay then I would suspect you'll need the screen off to look at tge rear of the dash to investigate that next. Haynes will step you through getting access to the dash. Search on here will throw up pictures of others who have repaired their corroded ribbon wiring or you may just need to clean the connector plugs attached to the dash.

Haynes wil show you where the relay switch is under the seat else take your seat off and with the ignition on, flip your indicator switch and you'll hear one of the relays (small black cube) ticking in time with the flashing. That's your indicator relay (held in place by black rubber with wires coming out the bottom of the relay… the bottom plug pulls off to release the relay to exchange it and only fits back on in one orientation so you can't mess that up. They are simple plug and play and relatively cheap if you can't simply borrow a mate's off his bird to swap briefly.

If a previous owner has tinkered and the wires are clipped on individually, take a photo of them before you disconnect them (they should just pull off as they are spade connectors… always tug the connector, not the wire as the wire may pull free from the connector) and if totally worried, label each one as you take it off so you know which came from where. Just be slow and methodical.

There is usually a diagram on the relay itself numbering the connectors and showing the internal circuit but if you are confused by wiring diagrams that may not be of that much assistance, just label the wires with the numbers used. Photos at every step is overkill but doesn't harm if truly a newbie and nervous.

Rgds Mallow1

PS Good luck with the initial investigation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi OF,

Bit more info would help (and FYI I'm no sparkie or mechanic either so my suggestions are just where I'd start to help narrow down the issue).

1. Are you saying if you indicate left all the right indicator lights come on too (dash, front and rear) so you are essentially flashing like hazard warning lights? Or are you saying only the dash light exhibits this "shadow" behaviour.
2. Whatever the answer to 1. is it also true if you indicate right too (i.e. left "shadows")
3. What year/ model is your Bird (carbie analogue dash, carbie digital dash, FI digital dash) with how many miles?
4. Hard life living outside in wet rainy or desert dry? Or garaged up and pampered to perfection? Jet washed?

I'd start with the easy stuff, spray some dw40 into your indicator switch and give it a good working in. If nothing improves, try taking your left switchgear off and giving the indicator switch a jolly good clean from the inside (two large screws on the underside of the switch gear. If you are a carbie careful not to take the choke friction assembly apart by mistake… small screw holding shiny plate in place on the underside of the choke. That holds a spring and a friction wedge, both of which are easily ejected and lost).
Many a weird side effect eminate from our switchgears as they age.

The flexible pcb in the dash are prone to corrode (the copper coloured ribbon wiring encased in plastic sheet turns blacker if corroded… do you have a multimeter so can test connections are okay? When repairing damaged areas some folk have used by-pass wire solded either side of corroded sections or others have used liquid contact pens to paint a new line then taped or lawuered over to insulate it).

Anyway, if cleaning the switch has nil effect and a quick swap out the indicator relay then I would suspect you'll need the screen off to look at tge rear of the dash to investigate that next. Haynes will step you through getting access to the dash. Search on here will throw up pictures of others who have repaired their corroded ribbon wiring or you may just need to clean the connector plugs attached to the dash.

Haynes wil show you where the relay switch is under the seat else take your seat off and with the ignition on, flip your indicator switch and you'll hear one of the relays (small black cube) ticking in time with the flashing. That's your indicator relay (held in place by black rubber with wires coming out the bottom of the relay… the bottom plug pulls off to release the relay to exchange it and only fits back on in one orientation so you can't mess that up. They are simple plug and play and relatively cheap if you can't simply borrow a mate's off his bird to swap briefly.

If a previous owner has tinkered and the wires are clipped on individually, take a photo of them before you disconnect them (they should just pull off as they are spade connectors… always tug the connector, not the wire as the wire may pull free from the connector) and if totally worried, label each one as you take it off so you know which came from where. Just be slow and methodical.

There is usually a diagram on the relay itself numbering the connectors and showing the internal circuit but if you are confused by wiring diagrams that may not be of that much assistance, just label the wires with the numbers used. Photos at every step is overkill but doesn't harm if truly a newbie and nervous.

Rgds Mallow1

PS Good luck with the initial investigation.
wow!! thanks, regarding whats flashing, i have never looked passed the dash, i think?? its just the dash light, because it passed the MOT... so not the oppersite front and back indicators.. but ill check when it finally stops raining.. yes re turn left and right comes on... and turn right and left comes on... the rest, il have to dig out the papers.. Thanks again.. Im in Ipswich, so if anyone is nearby and wants a ride out.. after i fix it..

·
Registered
951 Posts
London based else I'd try to help you track your prob down… few relays lying around, old left switchgear you could swap over as a test to eliminate that, a few dashes but they're mid projects but likewise may help to narrow where your problem lies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. Could be the switch, which can be disassembled and cleaned or spray electrical contact cleaner thru the hole.
2. Take off the windscreen to look at the rear of the cluster for corrosion. Post pics if it is.
3. The loom fix is for fuel injected only. This is where a junction block hidden in the main loom (under tape) near the battery corrodes and causes intermittent, strange electrical maladies including having the FI light come on. The fix is to cut it out and solder the wires.
4. Lastly, you may have a short somewhere
Well, sprayed the indicator switch etc, didnt work.... its just the dash that shadows not the indicators.. It does have fuel injection, (FI) , so might try the loom fix, see if that fixes it.. its on an 53 plate, 2004

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well, sprayed the indicator switch etc, didnt work.... its just the dash that shadows not the indicators.. It does have fuel injection, (FI) , so might try the loom fix, see if that fixes it.. its on an 53 plate, 2004
Just the dash, not the indicators? Sounds like a very weak short between left/right circuits. Enough current to ghost the dash lights but not enough to light the real ones.
First check should be back of the cluster.
Second check would be all 4 indicators and their wires.
Loom fix is a long shot as I don't think the turn signal wires go thru this block, but with electrical, anything is possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just the dash, not the indicators? Sounds like a very weak short between left/right circuits. Enough current to ghost the dash lights but not enough to light the real ones.
First check should be back of the cluster.
Second check would be all 4 indicators and their wires.
Loom fix is a long shot as I don't think the turn signal wires go thru this block, but with electrical, anything is possible.
Thank you, should be a dry day 2mrw, so screen off, and ill look at the back of the dash, found the relay behind the battery, could hear and feel it clicking, no other noise, will take it to a m.bike shop and get it checked..

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ok, just noticed your reply #3 in this thread. "Fault started after it came out of a garage". Some "mechanic" pinched a wire or some such. Probably not the back of the cluster unless they touched it. Before you spend money, go over the previous repair yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fixed it.. dont know how, think it was just a loose connection, this is after the same garage that caused the fault said they had spent two hours checking all the wiring and charged me for it.. anyway, fixed, MOTd and back on the road.. but now thinking i just do not use it enough to warrent having it.. anyone want an 03 Blackbird?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts