Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you fellow 'birders know what tool is needed to remove the ignition switch from a 2005 sbb? Tried hex key, torx, security hex and security torx, but none work. They all feel close but they won't bite enough.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The bolts holding the ignition switch to the top yoke are usually "snap bolts"
When they reach the correct torque the heads snap off.

The normal way to try and remove them is to dremel a slot in them and use an impact driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I was hoping to avoid that. It looks like I might have to though. Could be a bit tricky without removing the yoke. I'm definitely not going to do that. as it's a bit beyond me. Thanks for the reply, appreciated. I'll try and do it in-situ otherwise it's a hotwire job and a lash-up.

In the meantime I've gone to Honda to see if I get anything from them though I'm not hopeful. Interestingly in the catalogue the bolts are listed as 'one-way', and on the photo you can just about see some strange twirl in the bolt head... BOLT, ONE-WAY, 8MM 90107-MBG-000 Search by part number # HONDA Motorcycles & ATVS Genuine Spare Parts Catalog I'm thinking there might be a special tool. I'll see if Honda is forthcoming and post what I get.

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
The other option is pull the yoke and drill heads off of both once it separates. You can grab the rest of the bolt and back it out.

Reactions: bikerian

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ok, thanks for the tip. Looks like the yoke needs to come off. Gulp.
Not that hard a job.
Support front of bike so wheel is off the floor
Loosen the yoke centre bolt
loosen the clipon clamp bolts
loosen the topyoke to fork clamp bolts
unplug ignition switch from loom
remove two small ring clips from top of forks
Lift off the top yoke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Job done!
Like CBRDEAN0 said, though I had to scurry round to find a 12mm hex to get the stem nut out.
I thought I'd missed something when I tried to take off the yoke as it was a bit stubborn, almost an interference fit. Obviously a very tight tolerance. A bit fiddly to keep the fluid reservoirs upright and high, cable ties came in handy for that.
Other than that, not too bad a job. Certainly not as bad as I'd feared.
The switch itself came off really easily though a security torx bit is needed to remove its retaining screws. Honda came up with the goods with a replacement original part.
All back together no worries and job's a good 'un. The 'bird flies again!
As a bit of a PS, the torque for the stem nut is 103Nm (76lbf.ft) in case anyone needs to know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts